SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

F14 being retired

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NortonPete
PO2

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 11:00 pm    Post subject: F14 being retired Reply with quote

I had the good fortune of seeing an airshow that included the F14.
I hope this img is the right size because this post needs it.
F4 great, B52 massive, but the F14 stole the show.
At MacGuire AFB the F14 sounded like it was ripping the air apart.
its now out to Pasture.
I sure hope that someday I will see one again at an Airshow.
Would be a shame to forget this Warrior[/img]
Doll
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a beautiful picture of an F14. I would love to see an air show with one in it, but I sure am happy you were able to. The F14 will be remembered I am sure. Wink

The HILL Chronicles

Soldiers' Angels

"Wednesday Hero - Google It!"
jwb7605
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dang. That makes me feel olde.

Shortly after I got out of the Navy, the squadron I was in (VF-24) was decomissioned and merged with it's 'sister' squadron (VF-211), who then decomissioned all their F-8J Crusaders and replaced them with the F-14.

I believe VF-211 flew the F14's in the Iraq war.
Wonder what they're going to now, assuming they "stay in business"?
homesteader
PO3

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When facing the Tomcat in our Eagles (F-15s) we used to hate it when the ROE allowed BVR (beyond visual range) shots because we knew for every AIM-7 we fired we were getting a Phoenix back in the face. No one ever survived to the merge.

But when VID (visual ID) was required.........Yum. They were just as big, so just as visible at longer ranges as we were and once we got them turning........it was lunch time.

Had a couple goes at them in the F-5 also and again, if we were allowed to survive to the merge it was fun......Ever see smaller birds harassing a hawk?

Of course this was all before the days of lookee-shootee technology. By the time my time was drawing to a close, the young video game generation kids were making mince-meat out of us stick, throttle, rudder, and grease-pen-smudge-on-the-wind-screen old farts.

Ahhh those were the days. Thanks for stirring the memory box.
baldeagle
PO2

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jwb7605 wrote:
Dang. That makes me feel olde.

Shortly after I got out of the Navy, the squadron I was in (VF-24) was decomissioned and merged with it's 'sister' squadron (VF-211), who then decomissioned all their F-8J Crusaders and replaced them with the F-14.

I believe VF-211 flew the F14's in the Iraq war.
Wonder what they're going to now, assuming they "stay in business"?

Makes you feel old???
I was a young sprout sailor working the transient flight line at NAS Los Alamitos in 1957 when a young Major John Glenn strapped a new F8U on and set a new cross country speed record from Los AL to Floyd Bennett Field in NY. The F8U and A4D was just coming into the fleet at the time.
"In a word, I want an American character, that the powers of Europe may be convinced we act for ourselves and not for others; this, in my judgment, is the only way to be respected abroad and happy at home." --George Washington
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: