SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Navy Times Circles the Bowl

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mustang0302
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 2:50 am    Post subject: Navy Times Circles the Bowl Reply with quote

http://www.editorandpublisher.com/eandp/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003352525

I remember when "Navy Times" began its descent into the category of military "National Enquirer" or "Star" trash...during the early '90s (Only thing worse was something called "SSAM...& Coasties, Too!" in the early '80s).

Once, Navy Times (and the later own-service versions) was sort of a "trade journal," articles of interest from around the Fleet, selection/ promotion lists, real estate ads, etc. I never suscribed (I doubt many did), but there was always a copy, or a stack of old copies, lying around, perfect for a trip to the sh***er/reading room.

Then, at some point, I began noticing sensational "provocative" headlines:

"BAT BOY Shoots Marksman, Blames Coach, Rifle and Ammunition"

"Privates Complain About New MREs"

"Exclusive: First Look at the New Maternity Combat Uniforms"

"Poll: Does Your Chief Know His Job?"

and the eternal question:

"Should the IOWA BBs be Modernized and Returned to the Fleet?"

Well, this latest stunt, days before the mid-term election, is the last straw for me. I won't pick up another copy of Navy or Marine Corps Times again, much less pay for one.
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
These officers have been loyal public promoters of a war policy many privately feared would fail. They have kept their counsel private, adhering to more than two centuries of American tradition of subordination of the military to civilian authority.

And although that tradition, and the officers' deep sense of honor, prevent them from saying this publicly, more and more of them believe it.

And what of the "tradition" of the various service publications to mirror that very same "tradition of subordination of the military to civilian authority?" I had lost contact with the "Army Times" upon my separation from the service in the early 70's, and it was only the advent of it's availability on the internet that re-acquainted me some 35 years later. I don't recall the specifics of that encounter, but I DO recall that I was astonished at how "in your face" political it had become...and I've studiously avoided it since then.
Anker-Klanker
Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In case you didn't know, Navy, Air Force, Marines, and Army Times are all published by the same outfit, Gannet, the very same publisher of USAToday. There is overlap among the "journalistic" staff in all five publications.

So when you read Navy (or Army, or Air Force, or Marines) Times, you might as well be reading USAToday - which is about the same as almost all of the other left-leaning MSM.
Mustang0302
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 4:19 am    Post subject: Navy Times Circles the Bowl Reply with quote

I had to look it up...I wasn't too far off.

Gannett purchased Army Times Publishing Company in August 1997.

Here's a link to info refuting the Military Enquirer editorial:

http://gatewaypundit.blogspot.com/2006/11/donald-rumsfeld-best-defense-secretary.html
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like #1, I too used to enjoy the Army Times. Finding it again on the internet left me astonished at how left it's parent publisher was.

This latest "stunt" reminds me of Hanoi Jane Fonda's "coffee houses" she had set up outside of Military Bases to draw troops in and encourage them to desert.

Seeing them labeled as Military Papers: Rumsfeld Must Go shows me the "editorial" is nothing more than a last minute "November Surprise" last chance effort at bashing the Bush administration, trying to give undecided voters the wrong impression that Military leadership has no confidence in Rumsfeld.

More and more, the efforts of the left to return power to the left, at any cost, mirrors what I call the second Bolshevik Revolution.

Within the link above to my blog site is a link directly to the DoD's Response to the Editorials, setting the record straight.

Remember, these same "newspapers" have given Kerry a pass on his anti-military "botched jokes."
BuffaloJack
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always considered the Stars and Stripes to be the one and only newspaper for our servicemen. I saw my first copy of Stars and Stripes in the mid-50s at a family Thanksgiving dinner. Bill Mauldin, who had been a cartoonist for paper and was a cousin of some kind, gave me a copy so that I could see one of his Willie & Joe cartoons. I think I was about 9 or 10 at the time. I was later surprised to see the paper still going strong when I served in Viet Nam a dozen or more years later.
I checked on line and didn't notice the current Stars and Stripes showing any anti-Rumsfeld stories; in fact, compared to the NavyTimes, they almost appear like a conservative island in the media.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: