SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Lieberman Lockbox

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
homesteader
PO3

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 4:16 am    Post subject: The Lieberman Lockbox Reply with quote

I do not think the Iraqis are in much danger of us abandoning them. There is probably no one who knows the importance of success in Iraq more that Joe Lieberman. He parted ways with the DNC over it (actually they left him). Now he is the 51st senator giving the Dems the majority. He has the DNC in what Rush calls "a lockbox". If the Dems threaten to pull the plug on Iraq, I bet Joe feels strongly enough about it that he would pull the plug on the Dems and declare that he is caucusing with the Republicans (Jefferds in reverse). I'm sure the GOP would sweeten the deal for him with some key jobs. Being the majority means so much to the Dems that Joe, or anyone else of the 51 for that matter, can blackmail the rest with that threat of switching. (There are some die-hard libs in the Senate who would never do that but who knows about the newer more conservative ones.)

I would go so far as to say that control of the Senate is so important to them that Senator Lieberman can even call the shots on the subject of Iraq for the Dem House as well.

So, I think we can rest easy that there is not going to be a VietNam style sell out anytime in the next two years. It is even more important that the Iraqis know that so it would be nice if Senator Lieberman would let them know.

Here's a new slogan for the Dems. "Is Joe happy? Because if Joe isn't happy, aint nobody happy."

OOOPS! I meant to post this in the election 06 forum. Admin..would you please move it over. Thanks

Done: Lew
Anker-Klanker
Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Homesteader, that's a very interesting observation. And to continue the thought, I guess we can consider that Chafee was traded for Lieberman.

Well, I'm feeling a little better...
homesteader
PO3

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In addition to Lieberman's headlock on Iraq policy, Al Qaida has now given the President a gift by declaring they will not be done until they destroy the White House. The Dems are too interested in maintaining power to expose themselves to the charge of having surrendered in Iraq only to have any kind of attack happen in the US. That would doom them for a generation. Since an attack is always possible, the Dems have to hold the line in Iraq.

Again, I see no sell out of the Iraqis coming in the near future. That is going to make the moonbats who think they won this last election really happy. NOT
baldeagle
PO2

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I have to say to Chafee, re. his agonising over whether he wants to bolt to the Dems, or remain a Rep. is; "Don't let the door hit you in the "rear" on the way out." Good riddance.
"In a word, I want an American character, that the powers of Europe may be convinced we act for ourselves and not for others; this, in my judgment, is the only way to be respected abroad and happy at home." --George Washington
Schadow
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 11:50 pm    Post subject: Re: The Lieberman Lockbox Reply with quote

homesteader wrote:
..... So, I think we can rest easy that there is not going to be a VietNam style sell out anytime in the next two years. .....

I dunno. This vaunted Baker-Hamilton study group report is due out soon and it seems to have appeasement as a central theme. Three separate Iraqi countries and such. (What a looney idea. I'm sure they would live in peace and harmony side-by-side Rolling Eyes)

No doubt the Dems have been getting copius leaks on the contents of the group's recommendations since they are already getting giddy about it. You can count on accelerated US troop stand-down being the study's goal with cleaning out terrorists somewhere down the list. Cut and run only thinly disguised. Hope I'm wrong and I guess we'll know soon.

Schadow
homesteader
PO3

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Fresh eyes" on issue is not going to be bad. The status quo in Iraq is not bad from the standpoint that Iraq is where AQ is sending its resources to battle the US. The question is whether we think the present casualty rate and expense is worth not having another attack in the US. (We fight them there rather than here concept.) The reenlistment rates indicate the troops have voted and the majority of the US population appreciate not being attacked (though they did not turn out to vote). With the status quo Iraq will become a state under siege as Israel is. Israel has accepted that in return for maitaining its ethnic identity and territorial objectives.

If we want something different than the status quo in Iraq, some fresh eyes are required and there are far worse people to be looking at the issue than Baker. The Dems and MSM will portray any change as defeat for Bush even though changes have been happening all along. That is just something we are going to have to live with until the MSM is finally dead and the Dems discredited.
homesteader
PO3

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The scenario contiunues to evolve. When confronted directly on the issue, Senator Lieberman is refusing to rule out a switch to the GOP. It seems that he is already starting to tighten the screws on the DNC leadership. That, along with the afore mentioned political inpact of another terrorist hit on the US are squeezing the options for DNC action on Iraq into a very narrow few. On top of that, the few options they dare pursue are all variations or maturations of what the President was already doing. The Baker group was W's initiative. He kept it non-political by delaying the release of the findings until after the election.

You can bet that if anything positive emerges in Iraq, the mainline Dems will claim the credit.
homesteader
PO3

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just heard a clip of Lieberman questioning Gen. Abizaid. He is standing firm for victory. If the Republicans hold the line on Iraq, there will be no sell out of the Iraqis. In addition to Lieberman, I think you will begin to see Dem Senators who are up for reelection in 08 starting to behave like the 06 Dem incumbants.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: