SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FEC to rule on Kerry's SVPT complaints?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 8:22 pm    Post subject: FEC to rule on Kerry's SVPT complaints? Reply with quote

According to this free introduction to a story on Roll Call, the SVPT may be subject to "significant fines" assessed by the FEC...

Quote:
FEC Likely to Fine Several 527 Groups
By Matthew Murray
Roll Call Staff
December 11, 2006

Just in time for the 2008 presidential campaign season and roughly two years after the agency began scrutinizing a handful of 527 organizations, the Federal Election Commission is likely to hand down significant fines in the near future against groups such as America Coming Together and Swift Boat Veterans for Truth, according to campaign finance lawyers and other experts.

Roll Call

However, in the main body of the article (from another site which will remain unsourced here) the author states...

Quote:
Agency officials and outsiders directly involved in the cases declined to discuss specifics of the investigations, citing confidentiality agreements and prohibitions against discussing ongoing enforcement matters. Still, many familiar with the cases’ issues, including the top lawyer for Sen. John Kerry’s (D-Mass.) 2004 campaign and a former commission chairman, suggested that a variety of factors point to the likelihood that the agency will soon “sock it” to 527 organizations that violated campaign finance laws, particularly those involved in the 2004 presidential cycle.

“They don’t have a lot of choice,” said Marc Elias, a Democratic campaign finance lawyer who worked for the Kerry campaign. “It’s been two years that they’ve had these cases and they have indicated publicly that the enforcement process is the way” the agency prefers to police 527 groups.

While agency officials were unable to indicate the status of ongoing investigations, they were able to confirm a number of organizations when asked about specific groups that complaints had been filed against, perhaps narrowing the field of potential cases that may be closed out in the weeks to come. Among those cited as being the subject of complaints were Texans for Truth, Progress for America Voter Fund, Leadership Forum, the Media Fund, the Joint Victory Campaign, Economic Freedom Fund and Majority Action.

Odd that SVPT is noticably absent from the named list and Kerry lawyers appear to comprise at least several of the "sources" for the SVPT fine predictions.

Wishful thinking on their part or an attempt by Kerry to influence the FEC?

At any rate, I've been wondering what became of the FEC charge(s?) leveled by Kerry and his campaign in an attempt to harrass the SVPT campaign. I might also add that, till this date, I have been unable to access any "Matters Under Review" (MUR's) or pending cases relating to alleged SVPT campaign violations at the FEC website.

It will be interesting to see both the complaint(s?) and the judgement(s?) rendered.

edit: It appears that the FEC is meeting in executive session today, Dec 12, for "consideration of enforcement matters and other items required to be kept confidential."
Anker-Klanker
Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know a lot about most of those "specific groups that complaints had been filed against." The ones I do recognize are, I think, right-leaning groups. Does that mean that no left-leaning groups are being investigated, or simply that no one has filed a complaint against them? What about the mulititude of Soros-funded 527's - MoveOn.org, being the most prominent?

Something smells....
kate
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had wondered the same thing Anker-Klanker
- it's a split between the two sides

lefties
Texans for Truth was established in late August 2004 by Glenn Smith, a Texas Democratic political consultant … said he created Texans for Truth in reply to Swift Boat Veterans for Truth

The Media Fund is a another Soros supported Democrat 527 committee, coordinates with the MoveOn.org Voter Fund and the New Democrat Network

Joint Victory Campaign 2004 is a joint fund raising committee run by America Coming Together and the Media Fund.

Majority Action was formed to promote and build a progressive majority agenda in the U.S. House of Representatives …… the success of a progressive Democratic agenda.

righties
The Leadership Forum is a 527 committee fundraising group led by Susan B. Hirschmann, former chief of staff to House Majority Leader Tom Delay (R-Texas)

Economic Freedom Fund (EFF), a pro Republican 527 group, started in 2006 by Bob J. Perry

Progress for America Voter Fund is a conservative issue advocacy organization
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Kate...I didn't have the energy Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: