SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Where is the discussion of Ford's pardon of draft dodgers?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
coldwarvet
Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 4:26 pm    Post subject: Where is the discussion of Ford's pardon of draft dodgers? Reply with quote

As we remember President Ford on this declared national day of mourning. Why is their very little conversation about President Ford’s pardon of the Vietnam era draft dodgers? As in the Nixon pardon we could debate if the draft dodger pardon was the right or wrong thing to do at the time.

As a post Vietnam era 75’-79’ veteran I watched my elder brothers suffer as they returned home to an unappreciative American public. Over six million Americans served during the Vietnam era. 40,000 of their names etched on a black piece of granite in our Nations capital.

I believe President Ford deserves to be recognized on this day for his service. However, what day was set aside to welcome home the six million that served during the Vietnam era, to remember the names that are now etched on a black piece of granite, and to pray for the MIA & POW. Are they not as deserving to be remembered as President Ford?

Cold War Vet

"Peace is our Profession"
Strategic Air Command - Motto

USAF 75-79 Security Police
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ford didn't give an outright pardon. Returning draft dodgers had to perform some alternate service to gain readmittance. It was a "conditional amnesty."

It was Carter that went further and just granted a pardon to most of them.
redleg2
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it was Jimmuh Cawtah who pardoned Skerry for his dalliance with the Commie North Viets in Paris.
Fort Campbell
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely. It was Jimmy Carter who granted them total amnesty.
kate
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

over in the R&R forum, in this thread
The Discharge Issue >> Federal Regs, Rules, Orders
there are several posts regarding Ford's & Carter's EOs on the subject,
ie this from Ford link
Quote:
The program provides for administrative disposition of cases involving draft evaders and military deserters not yet convicted or punished. In such cases, 24 months of alternate service will be required, which may be reduced for mitigating circumstances.

The program also deals with cases of those already convicted by a civilian or military court. For the latter purpose, I am establishing a clemency review board of nine distinguished Americans whose duty it will be to assist me in assuring that the Government's forgiveness is extended to applicable cases of prior conviction as equitably and as impartially as is humanly possible.

dusty
Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ford's amnesty for draft dodgers was considered as 'healing the nation'.
To me the nation would have been better served by prosecuting the draft dodgers and some of the people who committed obvious treasonous acts.
Such as John Kerry and Jane Fonda.
That's the sort of healing that would have allowed the nation to come out of the experience stonger as a united people. The way it was done it just perpetrated the division and set the stage for future acts of treason and divisive behavior in times of war for this country.
Now because of the mindset engendered by that lack of moral clarity we have a situation where the leader of the country is hamstrung by politically motivated deceptions to undermine the authority of the elected president by subverting public opinion.
Once the cat was allowed and even rewarded for being out of the bag, there was no putting it back in.
There are several things that I think are causing this country to, as the Commiecrats put it, 'go in the wrong direction' and condoning bad behavior instead of demonstrating that it will not be tolerated is one of them.
I think they call it 'tough love'.
Dusty
BuffaloJack
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ford's pardons came with strings, i.e., alternative service.
Ford saw that healing was needed but not a free pass.
It was Dhimmi Carter who gave them carte blanche to commit treason and then obtain amnesty, it also allowed deserters and other with less than honorable servce to get their discharges upgraded.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: