SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Navy Seal statue includes a rifle. Oh, the Humanity!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Schadow
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 3:42 pm    Post subject: Navy Seal statue includes a rifle. Oh, the Humanity! Reply with quote

A statue of a Navy Seal, Danny Deitz, who was awarded a Navy Cross in Afghanistan was to be erected in Littleton, CO, his home town. The problem is that the statue depicts Deitz carrying an automatic rifle.

Protests are being mounted claiming that children who may see the statue might be traumatized by the sight of a rifle. Littleton, after all, is where Columbine High School is located.

A Denver Post article details the story. Snips follow:

Quote:
A group of Littleton parents is opposing the design and location of a memorial to a fallen local Navy SEAL, Danny Dietz, who died in combat in Afghanistan two years ago.

They say the statue, depicting Dietz clutching an automatic rifle, glorifies violence. In Berry Park, it would be within blocks of three schools and two playgrounds.

“I don’t think young children should be exposed to that in that way - unsupervised by their parents or any adults,” said Emily Cassidy, one of the mothers.

<snip>

Linda Cuesta, the parent of a child who was at Columbine High School during the deadly April 1999 shootings, said that memory “colors everything in my life,” but she is sympathetic to the Dietz family.

“As much as it breaks my heart to do this, we have to weigh the effect of the statue in this particular place against the family’s feelings,” she said.

<snip>

Dietz’s father said the family is devastated by the uproar.

“It broke our hearts,” said Dan Dietz, who still lives in the area. “My son was fighting for her freedom to do exactly what she is doing. She put my son in the same category as Columbine. How does she have the audacity to do that?”

(H/T: Boortz)

This country is, indeed, in the latter days. Ban the Minuteman quarters and the Great Seal of the United States, both depicting weapons, while we’re at it.

Schadow
Navy wife
Research Director

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently the newspaper has been swamped with emails about this statue and two letters to the editor were published that supported the statue. Anyone who wants to support the statue should contact the Denver Post at www.denverpost.com. It is important to recognize that this young man gave his life for all of us in this country. There is a great wrap up about this on Semper Gratus Blog.
I B Squidly
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's rich. The mush brains can't distinguish heroes from murderers. It was in that fog of PC that Klebold and friend chose the murderer. Now Littelton is one of the few places to hold a memorial on the Fuhrer's Birthday.

-Wlm Shakespeare
GenrXr
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I B Squidly wrote:
That's rich. The mush brains can't distinguish heroes from murderers. It was in that fog of PC that Klebold and friend chose the murderer. Now Littelton is one of the few places to hold a memorial on the Fuhrer's Birthday.

good point
Stevie
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

someone was stabbed in the Phx area the other week (probably last night too) - so I'm protestng Walmart because they have knives hanging on hooks in the kitchen aisles... they need to be behind locked glass doors.

maybe they should just quit selling those dangerous things!

Shocked
be arrested, exiled or hanged.
sixdogteam
Seaman

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We need to pray for these morons--that their eyes will be opened--or at least that they won't be tasked with contributing to the gene pool any further.
AMOS
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of gene pools, theirs could use some more chlorine.
dcornutt
PO3

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in NYC. I've heard /seen everything related to media persons, editors, writers..who have NO clue about anything related to firearms.
I saw one article referring to "shotgun bullets". That the police recovered "shotgun bullets" from the scene.

These are the people....setting policy today. That's "why" they can get together and figure out...that have a pistol grip on a firearm somehow makes it more "militant". And then have McCain go along with it. (who happens to now better, but does it out of politics).

Anyway...here's to an Alabamian who knows the difference between a Pee-can...and Pecawns...and shotgun bullets...and shotgun shells. (or just ammunition).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: