SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

WSJ Op-ed: "Give the 'Surge' a Chance"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:00 pm    Post subject: WSJ Op-ed: "Give the 'Surge' a Chance" Reply with quote

Dear Vets for Freedom supporter:

The following op-ed appears in today's Wall Street Journal, and I wanted to make sure you were one of the first to see it. The op-ed argues that the counter-insurgency strategy being implemented by General Petraeus in Baghdad today should be judged on its merits, not according to domestic political timelines. I hope you enjoy the article.

Pete Hegseth
Executive Director, Vets for Freedom

Give the 'Surge' a Chance
By Pete Hegseth
The Wall Street Journal
Monday, July 9, 2007

This week, Democrats on Capitol Hill are expected to present several different bills meant to undermine the war in Iraq. I fear that it will be difficult for Americans to discern the facts, as members on the Hill (including some Republicans) will revisit past failures and lament unfortunate losses rather than undertake a serious critique of the new counterinsurgency strategy.

Why? Because for some members of Congress, there is a growing fear that Gen. David Petraeus just might have a winning strategy in Iraq.

Despite four years of failed policy, the strategy we have in Iraq today is sound, both in principle and in practice, as my combat tour in Iraq confirmed. Gen. Petraeus is bringing safety and stability to Baghdad and Anbar Province, putting insurgents on the run. Now it's a question of whether House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid and wobbly Republicans will give him the time and resources he needs.

So, before the debate reconvenes, I thought a brief refutation of the top four Iraq falsehoods would be instructive:

Falsehood No. 1: The "surge" is already a failure.

Fact: The surge is just beginning. All of the brigades Gen. Petraeus requested have only been in place since mid-June and already there are promising indicators. Since January, sectarian murders are substantially down, arms caches are being found at three times the rate of last year and young Sunnis and Shiites are joining the Iraqi security forces in record numbers.

Falsehood No. 2: Gen. Petraeus believes the military has done all it can do in Iraq.

Fact: Sen. Reid often quotes Gen. Petraeus to support his position that the war is "lost." But a fair survey of Gen. Petraeus's remarks confirms that he believes the U.S. military must set the conditions for political progress. The ultimate solution to Iraq's problem is political reconciliation, which can only come with the improvements in security the surge is designed to achieve.

Falsehood No. 3: The U.S. is playing insurgent "whack-a-mole" throughout Iraq.

Fact: Gen. Petraeus's mission is called the Baghdad Security Plan for a reason: Its limited aim is to pacify Iraq's capital and center of gravity, thereby shifting the country's balance of power. The strategy is for U.S. and Iraqi forces to clear multiple insurgent safe havens in and around Baghdad at once to prevent insurgents from relocating, then to maintain security by remaining within the communities and building trust with the locals who were being intimidated by Sunni insurgents and Shiite militiamen.

Falsehood No. 4: U.S. troops are not fighting an enemy in Iraq, just policing a "civil war."

Fact: America's enemies are invested in our defeat in Iraq. Al Qaeda leaders like Osama bin Laden and Ayman al-Zawahiri say they want to "expel the Americans from Iraq" and establish a "caliphate" to "extend the jihad to the secular countries neighboring Iraq." These killers are intent on spreading their violent ideology, and believe stoking sectarian violence is the best way to achieve their goals. Al Qaeda may only make up 10% of the insurgency in Iraq, but what they lack in numbers, they make up for in lethality. Gen. Petraeus has said that "80 to 90% of suicide bombers are foreign fighters," and by neutralizing them, we could stomp out the low-level civil war.

In light of these facts, our country faces an important decision: listen to David Petraeus and the generals in Iraq, who believe we finally have a winning strategy that will take time to execute, or bow to the political demands of Republicans and Democrats in Congress who are more interested in avoiding defeat in their home districts than defeating al Qaeda & Co. in Iraq.

Gen. Petraeus promised a candid report in September. Until then, for the same senators who unanimously confirmed him and his counterinsurgency strategy in January to undercut his efforts is extremely irresponsible, and exposes how quickly war-time leadership can transform into election-season pandering.

Mr. Hegseth, a first lieutenant in the Army National Guard and executive director of VetsforFreedom.org, served in Iraq with the 101st Airborne Division from September 2005 to July 2006.

Vets For Freedom
greasepaint
Seaman

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

whatever happened to the idea of ...

that security forces would enter areas that
have been swept, and stay.
?

if you don't give confidence to the locals,
confidence that the bad guys won't come back,
they won't cooperate.
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

greasepaint wrote:
whatever happened to the idea of ...

that security forces would enter areas that
have been swept, and stay.
?

As I understand it, that's still a part of the strategy. On what basis do you suggest that it's been shelved?
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
if you don't give confidence to the locals,
confidence that the bad guys won't come back,
they won't cooperate.

Interesting comment, considering many also openly advocate abandoning the Iraqi people to their own accords.

Somehow, the above just doesn’t seem to jive with,

Quote:
my suggestion is to let the locals fight it out.
Get the US GI off the street. Reserve the use of
US military to prevent overthrow of the Iraqi
gov't, and protect infrasructure when possible.

Confused Confused Shocked
greasepaint
Seaman

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

facts needed.
'surge', areas swept by the military,
are backfilled with police, or not.

what bothers me is that 'surge' might be
military code language for ...

Search and Destroy...S 'n D doesn't work real
good, but its the only option you got
when you don't have enuf police but you have to hurry up.
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoa, whoa, whoa - before you change the subject, how about addressing Lew's point that your statements are inconsistent and conflict with one another?

This could be at the root of your discontent - the fact that you haven't even decided for yourself what you actually believe in.

After you address his point, then we can stray off into detours.
Navy wife
Research Director

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Greasepaint,
This is what happens when the population begin to trust you!! Proves the SURGE is starting to work!

Quote:
Tipsters lead to capture south Baghdad’s most wanted terrorist, cache Print E-mail
Tuesday, 10 July 2007

Multi-National Corps – Iraq
Public Affairs Office, Camp Victory
APO AE 09342

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
RELEASE No. 20070710-14
July 10, 2007

Tipsters lead to capture south Baghdad’s most wanted terrorist, cache
Multi-National Division – Center PAO

AL-DHOUR, Iraq — With two well-timed phone calls, Iraqi civilians made some Soldiers’ day July 9.

The first tipster called Troop C, 1st Squadron, 89th Cavalry Regiment, 2nd Brigade Combat Team, 10th Mountain Division (Light Infantry) out of Fort Drum, N.Y., and alerted them to a cache south of the village of Al-Dhour, Iraq, south of Baghdad.

The troop responded, located the buried weapons, and was only five minutes into the process of digging them up when they got another call.

A man claimed he had the 2nd BCT’s top high-value target and would deliver him to coalition custody. The man and Capt. Adam Sawyer, Troop C commander, agreed on a pickup site.

The Soldiers hastily re-buried the cache and moved out, and when the vehicle arrived, they stopped it and took the most wanted man and two other men into custody.

Some of the Soldiers were still able to see the cache from their vantage point - and were surprised to see a civilian pickup truck stop there and begin hastily loading the weapons into the bed of the truck.

They engaged the vehicle with an M-240 machine gun, and the men tried to flee, but the Troop C Soldiers detained them all – and called an explosive ordnance disposal team to destroy the weapons.

Sawyer a native of Reading, Penn., was jubilant about the operation.

“All of this was possible because of sources we’ve developed, through local-national engagements and working with the residents of the area,” he said. “It’s our work with the people in these areas, our relations with them, paying off.”

The primary target is allegedly responsible for shooting down an AH-64 helicopter in April 2006, the abductions of two Soldiers in June 2006, and complex attacks on patrol bases and terrorist acts against both Coalition Forces and Iraqi civilians.

Additionally, he is believed to be the leader of an al Qaeda network, known to prey on the general public through intimidation and murder against those resisting compliance to the AQI demands and decrees

One of the detainees had been wounded in a previous engagement, and was taken to a coalition hospital for treatment. The other six are being held for further questioning.

WHOOPEE!! Go SURGE!! Go TROOPS!!
greasepaint
Seaman

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lew, let me restate my position.

a strategy of, clear and hold. If you clear and
leave, the bad guys come back and kill the
locals the cooperated with the MNF.

as far as uncontrolled areas, let the rival gangs
fight it out. make them pay for everything.

do everthing possible, to minimize
unnecessary routine patrolling
and offensive action in general.
dusty
Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a saying, "The best defense is a good offense."

Have you ever heard that greasepaint? It's a saying because it's true.
Seems you would like to give the bad guys carte blanche to plan, deploy and organize. A sure recipe for disaster and just the kind of policy we are changing from with this 'surge'. The surge is not just putting additional troops on the ground but a well thought out plan of battle by one of the most respected men in the military.
And you are second guessing him on the basis of what experience pray tell.

Dusty
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds to me like greasepaint advocates settling in as things are currently and not advancing any further in freeing Iraq from the onslaught of terrorists.

If "clear and hold" is preferable, why not in so called "unsecured areas" as well?

Fighting a "defensive action" only ends up sacrificing too many of our people, and Iraqis, needlessly.

Imagine if we had the same tactical objective on D-Day for Normandy. Would we still be trying to hold the beach?

How would your strategy embolden confidence in locals in these so called unsecured areas? Don't we need them with us as well?
greasepaint
Seaman

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

in the last day or two,
Iraqi P.M. Maliki has said words to the effect that,
the US is no longer needed.
I suggest we take up Maliki's offer.

at least as far as removing most ground forces,
I would maintain, Air Force, Navy, and continue
training, helicopters, logistics, etc.

the benefit would be, the US GI is no longer
in the crosshairs.

the terrorists' biggest recruiting tool
is eliminated

Let the Iraqis pacify more areas, as that
becomes possible
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

greasepaint wrote:
in the last day or two,
Iraqi P.M. Maliki has said words to the effect that,
the US is no longer needed.
I suggest we take up Maliki's offer.
at least as far as removing most ground forces,

I'd suggest that we cut Maliki some wide slack and applaud him for his tempered remarks given the recent insults hurled at him and his countrymen by the likes of pontificating and spineless fools like Richard Lugar.

Quote:
I would maintain, Air Force, Navy, and continue
training, helicopters, logistics, etc.

the benefit would be, the US GI is no longer
in the crosshairs.

Good God Greasepaint...is your thinking possibly THAT shallow?

Gen. Conway, cited recently in another thread, has some thoughts for you on that subject...

Quote:
"We as a nation need to take an objective look at where we are in this struggle," Conway said. "We should not overestimate our progress made or underestimate the momentum the enemy would gain if we were to conduct an unabated withdrawal of forces."

Without invoking Vietnam, Conway used an argument that President Richard Nixon and Secretary of State Henry Kissinger used often as they tried to maintain public support for the Vietnam War: "There is something else, inextricably tied to our presence in Iraq, and that is the credibility of the United States of America," Conway said.

...not to mention HONORING and PERSERVERING in our commitment and, now, our OBLIGATION to the people of Iraq...

Quote:
And he called for perspective on the U.S. death toll in the war, which has surpassed 3,600. That is roughly the number of troops who were dying in a 12-day period during World War II, he said.

greasepaint wrote:
the terrorists' biggest recruiting tool
is eliminated

What absolute drivel.

The "terrorists' biggest recruiting tool" has been 40 years of western timidity in response to one Islamic radical outrage after another.

Quote:
Let the Iraqis pacify more areas, as that
becomes possible

That's in the long-term game-plan as long as we don't pull the rug from under their feet.

Last edited by Me#1You#10 on Sun Jul 15, 2007 3:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Navy wife
Research Director

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Way to go, Me#1!! You have said it all!! I loved Gen. Conway's remarks and hope Greasepaint will go to that thread and read it in it's entirety.
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me#1You#10 wrote:

The "terrorists' biggest recruiting tool" has been 40 years of western timidity in response to one Islamic radical outrage after another.

Amen! Confused

greasepaint, you're pretty big on repeating bumper sticker slogans, but short on defending your position, so here are some helpful hints:

1, Making the same assertions over and over doesn't make them true.

2. Avoiding challenges to your assertions doesn't invalidate the challenges.

3. Changing the subject does not constitute a defense of your assertions.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: