SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"Detecting More Than History?"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 5:15 pm    Post subject: "Detecting More Than History?" Reply with quote

Here's a surprising commentary by Michael Getler, PBS Ombudsman, conceding the left-wing bias all too prevalent in PBS productions. Its focus is squarely on the still festering and historically unresolved Swiftvet/Kerry Election '04 controversy. Read it all, especially the studied responses elicited from PBS viewers less than sympathetic with the program's ideologically hamstrung producers.

Mr. Getler's commendable frankness is an open door to further exploration of the historical sore that is the Kerry record and I hope that the blogging world will fully avail themselves of the opportunity...

Quote:
THE OMBUDSMAN COLUMN

Detecting More Than History?

By Michael Getler
July 13, 2007

"We interrupt this program to bring you . . . a political message." That line wasn't actually broadcast on PBS this week, but that's what several viewers thought happened while they were watching the July 9 airing of the "History Detectives" series. And they have a point.

I've said several times in these columns over the past 18 months or so that there is always something new to discover about how things happen on public television. Today's lesson is how to shoot yourself in the foot — at least in the minds of a fair number of viewers — by injecting something debatable, political and seemingly irrelevant into a program that people seem to enjoy because it is different, imaginative and not political.

PBS - cont'd

HT: Newsbusters: Tim Graham's Blog
I B Squidly
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sent them this:

Quote:
When the Navy says the documentation for Kerry's awards was correct and proper they are saying only that the paperwork was properly filled out. They are not commenting on the actual events or non-events. Why did this hero not release his military records? Why did not the New York Times et.al insist on seeing them? Why did not this war hero release his medical records where presumably a simple xray could reveal the supposed shrapnel he still carries? Why, because they'ld only proven the Swifties correct. The biggest mystery in Kerry's military, well not a mystery but protected by the Privacy Act is the true nature of his original dismissal. He subsequently received four DD214s but none issued coeval to the end of his obligated service. The want of journalists with military experience allowed these things to pass without comment before the Swifties. The FitReps Kerry did briefly offer on his web site are damning, praising him for irrelevancies and categorically faulting his performance; again beyond the kin of journalists.

Kerry announced on the Senate floor how President Nixon had illegally sent him to Cambodia for Christmas 1968. It was 'seared' in his memory. Why did it take the Swifties to point out LBJ was still president that year? Is that a simple observation of fact or a smear? They didn't even have to manufacture memos and Kerry's own diary revealed him to be elsewhere. When Kopple took Nightline to Viet Nam to prove Kerry's Silver Star story he disproved not only the Swifties version but Kerry and Doug Brinkley's version as well.

The press ignorantly and breathlessly intoned that Kerry's four months in-country some how constituted two tours. In contrast the Swifties served full tours and more. They did not libel all vets as child killing father rapers, travel to Paris to meet with North Viet Namese diplomats or chortle over botched jokes. Offering Kerry as hero is akin to offering up Benedict Arnold. The difference is that Arnold really was a hero before he was a traitor.

-Wlm Shakespeare
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Squidly, that's a fabulous letter! Wonder if you'll get a coherent answer?

It looks to me as though the columnist didn't bother with actually reading any of the letters he printed - and certainly didn't investigate past the end of his nose.

For anyone to understand the allegations regarding Kerry's medals and evals and separation(s?) and come to the conclusion that they're all hunky-dory just as they stand... well, that is simply unfathomable. Laughing

The producer's response made me laugh out loud, too.
GoophyDog
PO1

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too wrote a letter to them regarding this show, bringing up the obvious lack of comment or note of the Bonus Army's two marches on DC. I pointed out it would have been far more in context of veterans' groups activities and problems.

ref: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bonus_Army

The producers' explanation was just as maddening as the episode and I almost knocked off another letter just to respond to their diatribe. I can see where Cowan got his "smear" from - the very same producers who vented those half-truths.
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce Kesler comments at "Democracy Project"...

Quote:
PBS Ombudsman: Swifties “Smear” Comment “gratuitous political shot”
July 16, 2007

<snip>

Defenders of Kerry refuse to recognize the case and evidence presented against Kerry’s war record: inflated, indeed self-inflated. Instead they cling to a documented as exaggerated and, even, mendacious self-presentation by Kerry, and the major media’s central role in avoiding its examination.

For a summary of the “unsubstantiated” charge by major media, see here.

It’s welcome that PBS’ ombudsman, at least, recognizes such Kerry-defense comments as gratuitous. That’s more than most in major media who continue to insert “unsubstantiated,” without substantiation, into their news articles. May we hope, next, that the major media may get around to actually being a “History Detective”?

Democracy Project - cont'd
RiflemanDD730
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These letters are a great summary of the case for SBVT and an expose' of media bias on the issue. I think one issue needs more attention. I B Squidly points out that "When the Navy says the documentation for Kerry's awards was correct and proper they are saying only that the paperwork was properly filled out." This statement is true but the assertion by the NIG that the paperwork was properly filled out is wrong concerning the 1st PH.

The only documents that were found by the NIG were the unsigned letter confirming the 1st PH and the award certificate. Since there were no other documents in the service record that called into question the 1st PH the NIG applied the "presumption of regularity" to conclude that the medal was awarded properly.

Documents that should have supported the 1st PH are a CO's letter, eyewitness reports, an after action report, and a casualty report. Without these documents and based on the extremely weak "presumption of regularity" it was completely wrong for the NIG to assert in a 8/18/04 letter to Judicial Watch that "In addition, we found that they correctly followed the procedures in place at the time for approving these awards". This is obviously false. The NIG did not find that they correctly followed procedures. Applying the presumption of regularity is not finding a correct procedure.

I find it curious that Judicial Watch never followed up on this obviously flawed response by the NIG. At first the Judicial Watch challenge seemed to be a true quest for the truth. However The NIG response turned out to be cover for Kerry with no Judicial Watch response. Go figure.

I've always felt that Kerry's weakest issue was the !st PH. No one, not even the enlisted men who said they were with Kerry at the time confirm that hostile fire was present. Given the testimony of his superiors, the lack of supporting documents and the uncertainty of how the award was initiated I suspect that someday there will be a revelation on this subject.
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RiflemanDD730 wrote:
I've always felt that Kerry's weakest issue was the !st PH. No one, not even the enlisted men who said they were with Kerry at the time confirm that hostile fire was present. Given the testimony of his superiors, the lack of supporting documents and the uncertainty of how the award was initiated I suspect that someday there will be a revelation on this subject.

I've always suspected that political muscle may have been brought to bear in Kerry's behalf with a likely candidate being Ted Kennedy. That might possibly account for the unusual delay in the issuance of the award.

I'd sure like to get a peek at his Congressional correspondence archives for the period Dec. 68 thru Mar '69. If Kennedy had used official channels in support of Kerry's 1st PH, I would think there'd be a paper trail somewhere...no? Wouldn't the military also have copies of Congressional correspondence as well?
RiflemanDD730
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me#1You#10 wrote:
I've always suspected that political muscle may have been brought to bear in Kerry's behalf with a likely candidate being Ted Kennedy. That might possibly account for the unusual delay in the issuance of the award.

I'd sure like to get a peek at his Congressional correspondence archives for the period Dec. 68 thru Mar '69. If Kennedy had used official channels in support of Kerry's 1st PH, I would think there'd be a paper trail somewhere...no? Wouldn't the military also have copies of Congressional correspondence as well?

I agree that there must have been some kind of official influence to get someone to submit an administrative request for the 1st PH. I read somewhere that Kerry threatened to call his congressman on the issue so the idea of Washington being the source of the influence is possible. I'm not sure who Kerry's congressman was but the Kennedy connection is possible no matter who the actual representative was.

Personally I think that the influence was local. He may have just applied again to the CO at his new command who processed the request and copies to his old command were simply not answered because at the time there was a war on and this was regarded as a minor issue or people were transferred. The medal was then awarded based on the new CO's request.

Or Kerry may have used his influence with Admiral Zumwalt. Zumwalt wanted to improve morale by insuring that his men were recognized. Kerry flew with Zumwalt on his private plane on the way to his award ceremony for the SS in early March. Maybe before then Kerry may have casually mentioned to Zumwalt or someone on his staff that there was an administrative hang-up in the issuance of his !st PH. The Admiral may have seen this as a morale issue and ordered his staff to take care of it. One phone call or message and the hang-up is cleared. The !st PH is issued and the gold star for the second follows. The promised follow-up paperwork never arrives but by that time nobody cares.

My guess is that Kerry simply applied at his new command and the medal was issued without much investigation. They simply took his word. I'm hopeful that some paper trail will surface for one of these scenarios.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: