SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MediaMythBusters: Wiki will track false/biased reporting

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fortdixlover
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:14 pm    Post subject: MediaMythBusters: Wiki will track false/biased reporting Reply with quote

A new Wiki has been launched by a group of bloggers to keep track of false and/or blatantly biased reporting from our agenda-driven mainstream media: MediaMythBusters.

http://mediamythbusters.com/index.php?title=Main_Page

MediaMythBusters site wrote:
In order to make even the most mundane of everyday decisions it is necessary to have good information. The public depends on television, radio and print media to deliver reliable and accurate information. For the most part, reporters and editors do their jobs and the result is an informed public. In some instances, however, the information relayed to the public is neither reliable nor accurate. Far too often, inaccurate information is reported and repeated until it achieves a certain myth status. The goal of this site is to debunk myths that take hold as a result of inaccurate or irresponsible media reports.

Truth Through Scrutiny -- When inaccurate information is reported in the news media, especially when it is reported on the wire services and gets repeated worldwide, it is difficult to "take back" the initial report and correct the record. With the rise of new media such as talk radio and blogs, traditional media has come under increased scrutiny and some stories that in past generations might have been left to stand, have been exposed as false. Those instances, which are often relegated to small print at the back of the newspaper, will be collected here.

Perhaps the SwiftVets should contribute to the site e.g., on the misuse by the MSM of the verb known as "Swiftboating", the adjective known as "discredited", etc.

Interestingly, the Wiki motto is: "The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie -- deliberate, contrived and dishonest -- but the myth -- persistent, persuasive and unrealistic." -- John F. Kennedy

-- FDL
fortdixlover

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aha! Note:

A SwiftVets entry is already there, from Bruce Kesler at Democracy Project, used with permission and listed as "in progress."

http://mediamythbusters.com/index.php?title=Swift_Boat_Veterans_for_Truth

-- FDL
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fortdixlover wrote:
A SwiftVets entry is already there, from Bruce Kesler at Democracy Project, used with permission and listed as "in progress."

I've often thought that a Swiftvet-hosted wiki project might be an effective counter to the absurdity posing as an unbiased SVPT "article" on the Wikipedia site.

As I read the "mythbusters" mission statement, I'm not sure that its scope invites the breadth and focus which would be required by such an endeavor.
I B Squidly
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone figure how to create an account there?

-Wlm Shakespeare
fortdixlover

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I B Squidly wrote:
Anyone figure how to create an account there?

You have to write the webmasters. I can imagine they'd be happy to have Swiftvets contributions about the issues.

-- FDL
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: