SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Barry Bonds, Our Nation Turns It’s Eyes Away From You

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GenrXr
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 8:47 pm    Post subject: Barry Bonds, Our Nation Turns It’s Eyes Away From You Reply with quote

Barry Bonds, Our Nation Turns It’s Eyes Away From You

Paul Simon wrote a song in 1967 called Mrs. Robinson with the lyrics,

Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio
A nation turns its lonely eyes to you (Woo, woo, woo)
What's that you say, Mrs. Robinson
Joltin' Joe has left and gone away
(Hey, hey, hey...hey, hey, hey)

It was at the height of unrest and juvenile rebellion during the late sixties and Joe DiMaggio was someone who represented the stoic demeanor of men once were. It was now the age of guilt and the new intellectual mentors were “infecting us with this sense of guilt-about Vietnam, the Negro, the poor, pollution-and frown on shame as reactionary and repressive. But, whether or not a sense of guilt will make us a better people, the loss of shame threatens our survival as a civilized society.” 1

Bonds possesses neither stoicism nor shame. He is a black man forged in this new world of guilt without shame. Our society will suffer as a new generation comes of age while another shameless person who lacks wisdom and morals is celebrated as a hero. At first it will be the leftist black second class who suffer most, yet in the end, without condemnation of guilt and a return to shame, we will all suffer greatly.

1 Hoffer, Eric Spirit of an Age Chapter 3

Last edited by GenrXr on Sun Aug 12, 2007 9:17 am; edited 3 times in total
BuffaloJack

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barry Bonds will never be as good as Hank Aaron.
I'd like to see him do it without his elbow protector. A steel, hinged contraption that adds weight to his arm and swing, takes all the strain off his elbow with the hinge guaranteeing that every swing will be exactly like the last. This would be banned except that the league is so greedy that it loves the money Bonds draws in. (I won't even bring up the steroids, cheat gadgets are enough.)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey, you can always get a t shirt!!!!

http://www.tshirthell.com/store/product.php?productid=678
greasepaint
Seaman

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

keep in mind,

had Bonds never used steroids,
most people would never have heard
of the guy...

he would have been , just
another average player.

on top of that, he is cheating
some unknown person out
of his spot, on the roster
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other than some fleeting melancholy for the demise of baseball as I knew it in my youth, I lost interest long ago. As a kid who grew up in Brooklyn and had a piece of my life surgically removed by Walter O'Malley and the "business", I suppose I'm one of baseball's earliest losses. For a time, the Mets managed to ease the pain somewhat, but my interest for the sport was irretrievably buried under the foundation of the Ebbet's Field apartments.

Next year they raze Yankee Stadium. Unthinkable. True. Who cares.

Baseball ended in 1956. Since then we have baseball* and Cooperstown*...and Barry Bonds*.

For what it's worth...

Quote:
George Mitchell, Investigating Baseball Steroid Use, Has Cancer
By Nancy Kercheval

Aug. 11 (Bloomberg) -- Former U.S. Senate Majority Leader George Mitchell, who has been leading an independent probe of steroid use among Major League Baseball players, was diagnosed with prostate cancer.

``The cancer is small, low grade and localized, and can be effectively treated and cured,'' Harvey Klein, Mitchell's physician, said in a statement released by Mitchell's law firm, DLA Piper US LLP. ``The prognosis is very good.''

The treatment won't affect the investigation of performance enhancing substances by baseball players, Mitchell, 73, said in the statement.

``The investigation, which is in its final phases, will be completed in the coming months and neither the substance nor the timing of the report will be affected in any way,'' said Mitchell, a Democrat from Maine.

Mitchell, who was appointed to investigate steroids by MLB Commissioner Bud Selig in March 2006, said in June that hundreds of people have been interviewed and thousands of documents have been reviewed during the 18-month inquiry.

Bloomberg
GenrXr

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me#1You#10 wrote:
Other than some fleeting melancholy for the demise of baseball as I knew it in my youth, I lost interest long ago. As a kid who grew up in Brooklyn and had a piece of my life surgically removed by Walter O'Malley and the "business", I suppose I'm one of baseball's earliest losses. For a time, the Mets managed to ease the pain somewhat, but my interest for the sport was irretrievably buried under the foundation of the Ebbet's Field apartments.

Next year they raze Yankee Stadium. Unthinkable. True. Who cares.

Baseball ended in 1956. Since then we have baseball* and Cooperstown*...and Barry Bonds*.

For what it's worth...

Quote:
George Mitchell, Investigating Baseball Steroid Use, Has Cancer
By Nancy Kercheval

Aug. 11 (Bloomberg) -- Former U.S. Senate Majority Leader George Mitchell, who has been leading an independent probe of steroid use among Major League Baseball players, was diagnosed with prostate cancer.

``The cancer is small, low grade and localized, and can be effectively treated and cured,'' Harvey Klein, Mitchell's physician, said in a statement released by Mitchell's law firm, DLA Piper US LLP. ``The prognosis is very good.''

The treatment won't affect the investigation of performance enhancing substances by baseball players, Mitchell, 73, said in the statement.

``The investigation, which is in its final phases, will be completed in the coming months and neither the substance nor the timing of the report will be affected in any way,'' said Mitchell, a Democrat from Maine.

Mitchell, who was appointed to investigate steroids by MLB Commissioner Bud Selig in March 2006, said in June that hundreds of people have been interviewed and thousands of documents have been reviewed during the 18-month inquiry.

Bloomberg

1994 was the end of viewing professional sports for me. Up until that year, I read the box scores after each game for every team in the league.

For a time, I watched college sports, but no longer care to view what is now the professional farm system.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: