SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

semper fi

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
I B Squidly
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:36 pm    Post subject: semper fi Reply with quote

Enjoy:

http://hotair.com/archives/2007/08/13/video-ten-month-old-marine-corps-poetry-slam-goes-viral/

-Wlm Shakespeare
AMOS
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whew.
GenrXr
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great link Squid, especially like how the Marine ended the rap.

I have been trying to find a passage in Luttrels book Lone Survivor where he talks about the difference between race segregation in college and integration in the military, without luck.

About re-read the entire book looking for it. Was my second favorite passage. My favorite passage talked about the value placed on elder knowledge in the Pashtun tribal leaders as opposed to our celebration of pop celebrity.

Cannot find that passage either. Usually I mark books while reading, yet blazed throught his one in two sittings without folding the pages.
AMOS
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lone Survivor.......a heckuva book. Worth reading if only to learn of the SEAL training program. OMG.
GenrXr
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AMOS wrote:
Lone Survivor.......a heckuva book. Worth reading if only to learn of the SEAL training program. OMG.

Seconded. I would have left before the 2 week Indoc finished. Forget the seven month BUD/S which follows. And Hell Week? For a different type of person, for sure.

"Get wet and sandy, and then push em out"

This reminds me of a buddy and me when we went on a trip to Mexico years ago. He was in the Navy fresh out of Annapolis and serving on the USS Gladiator, a mine sweeper. He was not yet EOD, but working his way toward that goal.

We went to a dance club and there was a huge group of women watching 2 guys do pushups. They really thought they had a lock on physical fitness. My buddy tells me it’s not a big deal these guys doing 100 pushups, which was the bet. I asked him how many he could do and he replied "till the sun rises, without a break."

This was new to me. I had no idea it was humanly possible to do pushups with as little effort as walking. So I bet the guy who won the push up contest my buddy could do a hundred more then he just did. So my buddy barely, with some exhausting final ones, does around 150 pushups and we get 50 dollars. We offer double or nothing and double the pushups and they accept.

300 pushups later and we had 100 dollars for nights partying. The priceless part was the look on the people’s faces as my buddy hurriedly did those 300 push-ups. Oh and the girls. Nice.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: