SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

what has Bush been doing, for the last four years?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
greasepaint
Seaman

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:24 pm    Post subject: what has Bush been doing, for the last four years? Reply with quote

he leaves a very small footprint,
for an outgoing two-term president

---BUSH LANDMARK LEGISLATION---
the only thing I can think of is that
the so-called 'assault weapons ban'
has expired

related...
does the US even still have
a Secretary of State?
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He hasn't left yet, so time will tell just what sort of "footprint" he will leave.

Iraq’s leaders agree on key benchmarks

A Fatwa Against Violence

To be sure, no matter what happens between now and January 20, 2009, only what can be made to appear suspect or bad will be broadcast or printed. Only history will ultimately provide a proper "footprint" in context of today's troubles.

Regardless, I am of the opinion that whatever or however small of a "footprint" may be left now, it has to be a better one than the knee imprints left behind by his predecessor.
greasepaint
Seaman

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LW, thanks for responding to my post.
for the record, I think it is somewhat of
a honor just to be allowed to post here.
the possible reconciliation law, is hopeful.

I remember Kerry from the 1970s. That does not
translate into (my) infinite support for his opponent.

God help us, nobody else will
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LewWaters wrote:
Regardless, I am of the opinion that whatever or however small of a "footprint" may be left now, it has to be a better one than the knee imprints left behind by his predecessor.

Great line Lew.
FreeFall
LCDR

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, there was 9/11! The economy suffered greatly after that. And, finally, the US had to start doing something about states that sponsor terrorism and that are desiring nuclear and biological weapons.

Here is something that got overlooked in the media.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/wmd/world/libya/nuclear.htm

Quote:
A US-led naval operation in October 2003 interdicted a shipment of uranium-enrichment components bound for Libya. US officials say the seizure may have helped prompt Libya to make its pledge to dismantle weapons of mass destruction. The US-led naval operation resulted in the seizure of thousands of uranium-centrifuge parts, bound for Libya, from a German-registered freighter in the Mediterranean. The vessel was seized based on intelligence information that it was carrying nuclear components, and that the interdiction was a major success for the Bush administration's Proliferation Security Initiative, the PSI. Begun in early 2003, the PSI involves the United States and more than a dozen other countries working together to prevent the illicit shipment by sea, land or air of weapons of mass destruction material that might end up in the hands of terrorist groups or rogue states. The source of the centrifuge parts bound for Libya has not been revealed.

On 19 December 2003 Libya agreed to destroy all of its chemical, nuclear, and biological weapons. The surprise announcement followed nine months of secret talks between Libyan, American, and British officials. Libya agreed to abide by the Nuclear Nonproliferation Treaty, and to allow for immediate inspections and monitoring.
AMOS
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's hard to measure the affect his lower taxes has had on our economy, particularly dropping the capital gains tax from 25% to 15%-------Child tax credit------No capital gains tax on qualified sale of personal residence, and others. Two of these changes have allowed me to score pretty heavily and re-invest accordingly.
baldeagle
PO2

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

History will be a much better judge of the size of his footprint than the current crop of opposition polititions or media. A lot of it will depend upon how the situation in the Middle East shakes out in the coming years, whether his gamble pays off or whether it blows up in all our faces.
Current polls have very little to do with how a President will look in retrospect years down the line.
Neither lincoln nor Truman nor Kennedy nor even Reagan had high numbers in their last few years.
We'll just have to wait 20 or 30 years to see.
"In a word, I want an American character, that the powers of Europe may be convinced we act for ourselves and not for others; this, in my judgment, is the only way to be respected abroad and happy at home." --George Washington
Deuce
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AMOS wrote:
It's hard to measure the affect his lower taxes has had on our economy, particularly dropping the capital gains tax from 25% to 15%-------Child tax credit------No capital gains tax on qualified sale of personal residence, and others. Two of these changes have allowed me to score pretty heavily and re-invest accordingly.

No AMOS it's NOT hard to measure at all....the silence in the Meda about the "Greatest Story Never Told" is measure enough. The Bush Ownership Society will be a lasting legacy (if anyone ever writes about it), in spite of the current 'subprime' media class envy disenformazia programme. Some links over at freerepublic.com try to measure it. A few people (Larry Kudlow comes to mind) mention it regularly on cable tv. The problem is there are more Jane Fonda economists around than Ronald Reagan/Milton Friedman economists. And Bankers! Bankers....like a Jane Fonda economist on stearoids! And those who are still making money in Real Estate are totally silent for fear of being 'found out'!!! That said, there will be 100s of bankruptcies and 1000s of foreclosures....just as in any economic cycle, but perhaps no recession this time!

rant off
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: