SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

McCain's Mom on Mormons

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shawa
CNO

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 5:06 pm    Post subject: McCain's Mom on Mormons Reply with quote

Heh, methinks he should muzzle his mom.
McCain's Mom on Mormons

Quote:
Play of the Day: McCain's Mom on Mormons
Nov 9, 6:33 PM (ET)

MEREDITH, N.H. (AP) - John McCain's 95-year-old mother, in a swipe at her son's rival Mitt Romney, said Friday that Mormons were to blame for the scandal that rocked the 2002 Salt Lake City Olympics.

During an appearance on MSNBC, Roberta McCain laid out why her son, John, deserves to win the Republican presidential nomination. But in evaluating McCain's primary rivals, she criticized Romney's Mormon faith and his time in Salt Lake City.

"As far as the Salt Lake City thing, he's a Mormon and the Mormons of Salt Lake City had caused that scandal. And to clean that up, again, it's not a subject," Roberta McCain said.

John McCain quickly stepped in: "The views of my mothers are not necessarily the views of mine."

"Well, that's my view and you asked me," Roberta answered.

The Salt Lake Organizing Committee had enticed International Olympics officials with lavish gifts and accusations of bribery mired the Games in scandal while resignations sullied the region's reputation.

Utah officials tapped Romney to lead the effort and as president and CEO of the organizing committee he pared the budget, boosted revenues and worked to repair the committee's reputation.

A Romney campaign spokesman said the McCains made a mistake.

"I would disagree with any candidate or any campaign surrogate that chooses to disparage someone based on the faith that they hold, and instead implore other candidates and their campaigns to make a case to voters based on the important issues facing the nation," said Kevin Madden.

Roberta McCain immediately apologized to her son.

"I didn't mean to say it," she said as they stepped away from the cameras.

McCain told The Associated Press after the interview that his mother misspoke.

"Mormons are great people and the fact that Mitt Romney is a Mormon should play no role whatsoever in people's decision," McCain said.

"What she meant was the Olympics were screwed up by the people in Salt Lake when Romney came in and fixed the problems there. But I know my 95-year-old mother is certainly in favor of Mormons."
---
Compiled by Philip Elliott.

“I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress, and grow brave by reflection. ‘Tis the business of little minds to shrink; but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death.” (Thomas Paine, 1776)
I B Squidly
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad, spittle from a sputtering campaign.

My first reaction was: His Mom! He can't put his wife in front of reporters?

-Wlm Shakespeare
GenrXr
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They both look much younger than their years. I have zero issues with the Mormons. Good people, besides, I cannot ever recall serious issues coming from that sector of society. A few kook Davidian types who broke away from their church and married gazillions of women, yet that reflects as badly on their faith as the twisted David Koresh's or Al Gore's lunatic faiths reflect poorly upon Christianity.
streetsweeper95B
PO2

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I grew up & lived with Mormons. Can't recall anything that would reflect poorly upon them. If fact, their the first to jump in to lend a helping hand to anyone in need of help & have nowhere else to turn. One of my neighbors was an elder & bishop of the Ward. His wife was active as heck with the Womens Relief Society. They had three kids of their own, they adopted several more that needed a good home & were always assisting people regardless of their faith or political beliefs when the chips were down.

Be it a food drive, clothing, roof over the head or a traveler with a broke down vehicle, Mormons will help & do it quietly. This neighbor (he's since died) would ask if I would help him with this that or another stranded traveler. I never turned him or anyone else that asked down. He was also a veteran, very proud of our country & veterans & ran an electrical service that was small & second to none.
Anker-Klanker
Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is just so much wrong with the story. And it's a nearly perfect example of how MSM manages to define the terms of the debate.

I have no idea why McCain's mother's opinion is of vital importance to anything, whatever her opinion might be.

But buried in the story is this:

Quote:
During an appearance on MSNBC, Roberta McCain laid out why her son, John, deserves to win the Republican presidential nomination.

Did you read anything about what she might have said about "why her son, John, deserves to win the Republican presidential nomination"? Didn't think so.

No, the story - the whole story according to AP - was about her supposed comments about the Mormons.

This is an example of pseudo-news, a gotcha moment turned into an anti-Republican message, and control-the-political-dialog media at its "finest".

When are we ever going to realize how much we're being manipultated by the MSM?
shawa
CNO

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good observation, AK.
I really like Mitt a lot. He is well-qualified. But sadly, I do not think he can win because the media
will continue to subliminally influence voters that Mormanism is weird.
Like streetsweeper, I have a dear friend who is LDS. Her solid conservative values are a match with mine.
“I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress, and grow brave by reflection. ‘Tis the business of little minds to shrink; but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death.” (Thomas Paine, 1776)
I B Squidly
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AK and others,

Allow me to recommend "The Image" by Daniel Boorstin. It is a guide to pseudo-events in America; maybe the first.

-Wlm Shakespeare
streetsweeper95B
PO2

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I B Squidly wrote:
AK and others,

Allow me to recommend "The Image" by Daniel Boorstin. It is a guide to pseudo-events in America; maybe the first.

I hereby allow you that I B Suidly.

garryowen
Lance Corporal

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The importance of this whole flap is that it's Senator McCain's MOTHER for crying out loud!

Kind of puts a crimp in the whole "He's too old to be President" criticism, wouldn't you say?

As for Mormons being good people, I agree wholeheartedly. Years ago, Utah was identified in a poll as the best state in which to raise a family. I'll take any one of them over my two US senators.

Deep meaning intended.

Twisted Evil
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My most significant "take" from this campaign vignette was the absolutely classy style and demeanor that Mitt employed when he was "ambushed" with the question by a "drive-by" reporter (perhaps I can find a video link).

To say that he's FAST on his rhetorical feet is an understatement. This man can manufacture lemonade from political lemons in a HEARTBEAT...and McCain handled the faux-pas masterfully as well...both of them instinctively demonstrating genuine candor AND good humor.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: