SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I didn't know that.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:49 pm    Post subject: I didn't know that. Reply with quote

So....
Who Was The First President? I'm sure that George Washington was your best guess. After all, no one else comes to mind. But think back to your history books - The United States declared its independence in 1776, yet Washington did not take office until April 30,1789.

So who was running the country during these initial years of this young
country? It was the first eight U. S. Presidents.

In fact, the first President of the United States was one John Hanson.
(check John Hanson on Google.) http://www.marshallhall.org/hanson.html

The new country was actually formed on Marc h 1, 1781 with the adoption of The Articles of Confederation. This document was actually proposed on June 11, 1776, but not agreed upon by Congress until November 15, 1777.

Maryland refused to sign this document until Virginia and New York ceded their western lands ( Maryland was afraid that these states would gain too much power in the new government from such large amounts of land).

Once the signing took place in 1781, a President was needed to run the Country. John Hanson was chosen unanimously by Congress (which included George Washington). In fact, all the other potential candidates refused to run against him, as he was a major player in the revolution and an extremely influential member of Congress.

As the first President, Hanson had quite the shoes to fill. No one had
ever been President and the role was poorly defined. His actions in
office would set precedent for all future Presidents. He took office
just as the Revolut ionary War ended.

Almost immediately, the troops demanded to be paid. As would be expected after any long war, there were no funds to meet the salaries. As a result, the soldiers threatened to overthrow the new government and put Washington on the throne as a monarch.

All the members of Congress ran for their lives, leaving Hanson as the
only man left running the government. He somehow managed to calm the troops down and hold the country together. If he had failed, the
government could have fallen almost immediately and everyone might have been bowing to King Washington.

Hanson, as President, ordered all foreign troops off American soil, as
well as the removal of all foreign flags. This was quite the feat,
considering the fact that so many European countries had a stake in the
United States since the days following Columbus Hanson established the Great Seal of the United States , which all Presidents have since been required to use on all official documents.

President Hanson also established the first Treasury Department, the
first Secretary of War, and the first Foreign Affairs Department.

The Articles of Confederation only allowed a President to serve a one
year term during any three year period, so Hanson actually accomplished quite a bit in such little time.

Seven other presidents were elected after him:
Elias Boudinot (1782-83),
Thomas Mifflin (1783-84),
Richard Henry Lee (1784-85),
John Hancock (1785-86),
Nathan Gorman (1786-87),
Arthur St. Clair (1787-88), and
Cyrus Griffin (1788-89)

All prior to Washington taking office, So what happened? Why don't we hear about the first eight presidents? It's quite simple - The Articles
of Confederation didn't work well. The individual states had too much
power and nothing could be agreed upon. A new doctrine needed to be written - something we know as the Constitution.

And tha t leads us to the end of our story. George Washington was
definitely not the first President of the United States . He was the
first President of the United States under the Constitution we follow
today. And the first eight Presidents are forgotten in history.

YOU HAVE TO BE A LOVER OF HISTORY TO APPRECIATE THIS!

It took 8 years for the US to establish a successful government. Remember
this when you hear so little progress has been made during these last 4
years in establishing a Government in Iraq .

GOD BLESS AMERICA !!!!

note: BBCode smilies disabled/me#1
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

powsmias wrote:
I didn't know that.

Nor did I (I'm ashamed to admit). Thanks for the quick history lesson.
coldwarvet
Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me#1You#10 wrote:
powsmias wrote:
I didn't know that.

Nor did I (I'm ashamed to admit). Thanks for the quick history lesson.

Makes me wonder what else I was not taught by the educrats.

"Peace is our Profession"
Strategic Air Command - Motto

USAF 75-79 Security Police
BuffaloJack
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

coldwarvet wrote:

I made the discovery of the rewriting of history about 10 or 11 years ago when I decided to educate myself on the history of the Civil War by reading the newspapers printed before, during and after the war. I tried to find the same story covered by a Southern paper and a Northern paper and read them both. I would do my own filtering. The first thing I found out was that four months before the firing on Fort Sumter, a Northern warship was taken under fire by a shore battery manned by cadets and officers from the Citadel.
It's amazing that we have access to so many newspapers and periodicals that go back to the 1850s. The really interesting stuff, however, is the fifteen to twenty-five year period that followed the Civil War. Most of the civil rights strife that took place happened in the North with unions, tradesmen and workers murdering blacks as they came North for jobs and to seek a better life. Here is the heart of all the civil rights problems of today not in the South.
Ever hear of the Freedmans' Bureau? It was set up to provide money, housing and food to freed slaves. It was very successful. It was still around during World War I and the Yellow Influenza epidemic that came home with the troops. So many families lost bread winners and so many children lost all adult caregivers, but they would not go to the one organization that was equipped to help them. To overcome this stigma of going to an organization set up to help blacks, the Freedmens' Bureau was broken apart, given over to the states and renamed the Department of Welfare.
How many people know that the First Battle of Manassas (Bull Run) was fought with both sides wearing blue uniforms? Does anyone else know that after this battle there was a joint conference of Southern and Northern officers who met to setup the rules. South would wear gray and North blue. The flags of the CSA and the USA were so similar that from a few hundred feet they couldn't be distinguished from each other, the design for the Confederate Battle Flag came out of this summit. This was a meeting of civilized gentlemen.
I sometimes wonder if anything taught in the schools has any basis in fact at all. The Educrats have a long history of fixing through half truths and lies.
GenrXr

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

great history powmias and BuffaloJack!

Had no idea Washington could have declared himself King at any moment and did not do so, because of his strong belief his actions were the direct result of providence. Even today the left is hard at work dispelling or lessening Washington's strong belief in God and his view the formation of this country was an act of providence.

Make no mistake, at any moment up until his death, Washington could have declared himself King and King he would have been.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BuffaloJack wrote:
coldwarvet wrote:

I made the discovery of the rewriting of history about 10 or 11 years ago when I decided to educate myself on the history of the Civil War by reading the newspapers printed before, during and after the war. I tried to find the same story covered by a Southern paper and a Northern paper and read them both. I would do my own filtering. The first thing I found out was that four months before the firing on Fort Sumter, a Northern warship was taken under fire by a shore battery manned by cadets and officers from the Citadel.
It's amazing that we have access to so many newspapers and periodicals that go back to the 1850s. The really interesting stuff, however, is the fifteen to twenty-five year period that followed the Civil War. Most of the civil rights strife that took place happened in the North with unions, tradesmen and workers murdering blacks as they came North for jobs and to seek a better life. Here is the heart of all the civil rights problems of today not in the South.
Ever hear of the Freedmans' Bureau? It was set up to provide money, housing and food to freed slaves. It was very successful. It was still around during World War I and the Yellow Influenza epidemic that came home with the troops. So many families lost bread winners and so many children lost all adult caregivers, but they would not go to the one organization that was equipped to help them. To overcome this stigma of going to an organization set up to help blacks, the Freedmens' Bureau was broken apart, given over to the states and renamed the Department of Welfare.
How many people know that the First Battle of Manassas (Bull Run) was fought with both sides wearing blue uniforms? Does anyone else know that after this battle there was a joint conference of Southern and Northern officers who met to setup the rules. South would wear gray and North blue. The flags of the CSA and the USA were so similar that from a few hundred feet they couldn't be distinguished from each other, the design for the Confederate Battle Flag came out of this summit. This was a meeting of civilized gentlemen.
I sometimes wonder if anything taught in the schools has any basis in fact at all. The Educrats have a long history of fixing through half truths and lies.

more interesting things i didn't know. thanx jack
this thread turned out pretty good. very informative.
thanx to all
Deuce
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, Thanks for the history lesson, all. I used to live on 'the underground railroad', you'd think I'd a learned! As a 'C' history student, never pulled that off, though....and BuffaloJack, I'm with you...both on the Civil War interests, and like you, my faith in the American gummit 'madrassas' today is only slightly greater than my faith in the Saudi madrassas!
streetsweeper95B
PO2

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, Thanks for the history lesson eddie. Never learned that in high school far as I can remember. Very nice.
BuffaloJack

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's another Civil War tidbit.
The 1st Louisiana Native Guard was an all black Confederate Infantry Regiment. There was also an all black Union Infantry Regiment called the 1st Louisiana Native Guard. They were separate military units with the same name. Like the 54th Massachusetts that was featured in the film "Glory", both black Union Regiments had all white officers. The black Confederate regiments were unique in that they almost always had all black officers. Bet you don't find that in the revisionist history books of today.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: