SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Using Construction Paper to Make a Book Cover

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GenrXr
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:17 pm    Post subject: Using Construction Paper to Make a Book Cover Reply with quote

A friend recently finished her first book. It is a book designed for teachers to school children in manners and her first cover was a basic stock cover provided by the publisher, Lulu. Pretty basic and used mainly to get copies to send out for proofing.

She then had the art director of a well known Dallas design firm "give her a favor" by designing a professional cover. Of course the favor was charged in dollars and although it looked more professional than the stock photo, is this something which you would see in a children's classroom?

My thought was it belongs in the office of a fortune 500 company or on Zig Zigler's speaking tour. The book is not meant to be read by children, yet the focus is on children and the teachers instruction of manners.

Do you ever really stick your foot in the mouth? Not literally, yet what I said next qualified figuratively. "Jeannie, that book cover sucks and I could design a much better one." "Really? Oh thank you very much, I am not happy with it either," she replied. Duh.

The following two weeks she asked how the cover was coming along and my reply was "fine, I am creating it in my mind." I was thinking of how best to convey either a rocket ship blasting into air with a "soar" theme or a sailboat and water in a "sailing" theme. Sailing through life seemed so cliche, yet in regards to manners it is true. A young person who knows, understands and acts with manners will make it through life easier than one without. Sailing it is.

How to make something really unique though? My next idea was use 2d paper and make it look 3d, similar to the Southpark look, only use real paper and not create it digitally. Utilizing the depth of field relationship between large aperture, long focal length and short distance to focal point, I could create blurring behind the sail boat and thus enhance the 3 dimensional look. I also decided to purchase high grade construction paper with vibrant colors, to make a sunset. I was thinking of the sailors saying "red skies at night are a sailor’s delight." I searched the web for something on this, yet found nothing. Following are some of the pictures, taken during the creation of the book cover and hopefully, it will help someone in their creation. It was a blast making the diorama, photographing and finally putting the cover with text together.

All the pictures can be viewed here.

The Following picture shows top-down view of spacing between paper objects. The sail boat was placed about 6" in front of the sun.

My truck was recently broken into and the thieves made off with a tripod so I had to improvise.

The following picture shows what the picture looks like straight out of camera at F-8. Notice how there is not very much blurring in the background?

This picture shows the 3d look after opening up the aperture on my Canon 135mm lens to 2.0. It has also had saturation levels increased, unsharp mask applied and brightness and contrast adjusted. I then added some additional space on the top to accommodate the title.

This is the final product. 50 dollars in material and 12 hours of my time versus the 10-20k a design firm would charge for something similar. Although done just for fun, I feel confident this cover can hold it's own against any design firms work.

For larger image, click here.
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good Lord genrxr, it's a NIGHTMARE!

WHERE is there a little girl displaying her equivalent capabilities to navigate the troubled waters of correct manners?

...and what's with those portholes? They sure look like CANNON ports to me. This looks WAY too militaristic to be a graphical metaphor for young minds.

...and what's with the caucasian boy? Are you suggesting that other ethnic minority groups aren't concerned with correct manners or, even worse, are incapable of even LEARNING correct manners? Sheesh.

...and what's with the....

Just kidding....nice work Wink
GenrXr
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me#1You#10 wrote:
Good Lord genrxr, it's a NIGHTMARE!

WHERE is there a little girl displaying her equivalent capabilities to navigate the troubled waters of correct manners?

...and what's with those portholes? They sure look like CANNON ports to me. This looks WAY too militaristic to be a graphical metaphor for young minds.

...and what's with the caucasian boy? Are you suggesting that other ethnic minority groups aren't concerned with correct manners or, even worse, are incapable of even LEARNING correct manners? Sheesh.

...and what's with the....

Just kidding....nice work Wink

What is really sad is the book is ethnic neutral and even advertises as such on the back cover. It uses Polly the parrot to teach and reward good manners as opposed to humans. It is a good book, but a crazy world we live in.

I actually was going to try to add a black child to go along with whitey, yet there was no room on the boat. Sad

I had too much dark brown and black already in the picture so opted for a white kid. I am not kidding. Sad isn't it. I ended up saying screw it with the PC and just designed the thing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: