SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"US refuses to set Bali target for emissions"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:34 pm    Post subject: "US refuses to set Bali target for emissions" Reply with quote

Ever the opportunist in degrading the United States, Kerry descends on Bali. From the Telegraph's totally unbiased "Environment Editor" Rolling Eyes ...

Quote:
US refuses to set Bali target for emissions
By Charles Clover, Environment Editor, in Bali
10/12/2007

The United States cast a shadow over the start of negotiations on a "roadmap" towards a post-Kyoto climate treaty by refusing to include any mention of tough emission reductions by 2020.

Full coverage of the Bali climate conference
Audio: Charles Clover - why the US finds climate change so hard
The organisers of the UN conference of more than 180 countries published the draft of a possible route towards reaching agreement by 2009 on a bewildering range of issues, from averting deforestation to building flood defences in developing countries.

The document, which the chairman announced the conference would begin negotiations on immediately, said the deal would work on the basis of scientific calls for 25 per cent to 40 per cent cuts in greenhouse gas emissions on 1990 levels by 2020.

The draft, which looks set to change regularly as officials negotiate the detail at the UN conference in Bali over the next few days, also said greenhouse gases must peak in the next 10 to 15 years and halve from 2000 levels by 2050.

But the United States warned it was unwilling to accept numeric targets in the plan which will be at the centre of debate among negotiators attempting to hammer out a final document by Friday.

<snip>

Senator John Kerry, the unsuccessful Democratic presidential candidate in 2004, who arrived in Bali at the weekend, said he hoped that negotiations would set measures to tackle climate change back on a "global path."

"One of the "main impediments has been the reluctance of the United States to be part of the solution. It has given excuse to others not to engage," he said.

He said he brought a message from now Democrat-dominated US Senate: "The US is going to be at the table (ed; It IS "at the table"...in the form of an official delegation headed by Harlan Watson, the United States's chief negotiator. YOU, on the other hand, are seated with other self-serving demagogues out in the Bali streets) it is going to lead, it is going to have significantly changed policies."

He said a Bill aimed at setting up a "cap and trade" system for the United States was supported by every single Democratic candidate for president.

ed: Reports of a Kerry comment that "...the United States is razing the earth in fashion reminiscent of Jenghis Khan" remain unsubstantiated.

Telegraph

Last edited by Me#1You#10 on Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
SandiM
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there no limit to this revolting man's ego?

I abhor our Plastic Man KRudd for dashing with blinding (and blinded) speed to sign the Kyoto Protocol. Only now is he slowly waking up to the cost of doing so. For instance, New Zealand (also a Labor government), emitting 0.2-0.3% of world emissions, is already up for $708 million in "fines", and counting, for not reducing further. We are at 1.4%.

On another front. I just watched a program called SIR! NO SIR! Has anyone seen it?

I didn't catch when it was made, but it featured (God! how can I make myself type this? Ech!) Jayne Fonda (OK, I'm OK). It was about "how American GI's (sic) created an unprecedented movement against the war in Vietnam". It showed original footage of the Winter Soldier hearings, and footage of "vets" throwing their medals over the wall at the White House. No sign of JF***ingK anywhere. I wonder why?

This program was preceded by THE SIXTIES: THE YEARS THAT SHAPED A GENERATION - same channel (government-funded ABC). This one was about the student demonstrations all over the USA against the war in Vietnam - and proclaiming their victory over the government. Of course.

Anyone else seeing an agenda here?
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SandiM wrote:
I abhor our Plastic Man KRudd for dashing with blinding (and blinded) speed to sign the Kyoto Protocol. Only now is he slowly waking up to the cost of doing so.

Apparently so. Looks like Mr. Rudd is getting cold feet on global warming...

Quote:
Kevin Rudd recoils from climate change pledge
Peter Jean
December 07, 2007

PRIME Minister Kevin Rudd last night did an about-face on deep cuts to greenhouse gas emissions, days after Australia's delegation backed the plan at the climate talks in Bali.

A government representative at the talks this week said Australia backed a 25-40 per cent cut on 1990 emission levels by 2020.

But after warnings it would lead to huge rises in electricity prices, Mr Rudd said the Government would not support the target.

Herald Sun - cont'd
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: