SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

NYT desperately seeking to slime Iraq and Afghanistan vets
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SandiM
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 3:42 pm    Post subject: NYT desperately seeking to slime Iraq and Afghanistan vets Reply with quote

Quote:
The New York Times and our Soldier-Murderers

Posted by spot_the_dog on January 13, 2008

If you depend on the New York Times for your information, you’d be forgiven for thinking that American troops are coming home from Iraq and Afghanistan and littering the streets of America with murder victims.

In Part 1 of “War Torn: A series of articles and multimedia about veterans of the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan who have committed killings, or been charged with them, after coming home,” we hear some frightening anecdotes.

Town by town across the country, headlines have been telling similar stories. Lakewood, Wash.: “Family Blames Iraq After Son Kills Wife.” Pierre, S.D.: “Soldier Charged With Murder Testifies About Postwar Stress.” Colorado Springs: “Iraq War Vets Suspected in Two Slayings, Crime Ring.” Individually, these are stories of local crimes, gut-wrenching postscripts to the war for the military men, their victims and their communities. Taken together, they paint the patchwork picture of a quiet phenomenon, tracing a cross-country trail of death and heartbreak.

The New York Times found 121 cases in which veterans of Iraq and Afghanistan committed a killing in this country, or were charged with one, after their return from war. In many of those cases, combat trauma and the stress of deployment - along with alcohol abuse, family discord and other attendant problems - appear to have set the stage for a tragedy that was part destruction, part self-destruction.

My RSS reader is already running hot with American and Australian MSM outlets repeating the New York Times’ implications in headlines such as “Rise in homicides by US Iraq war vets”

Thankfully, the Blogosphere is already on to this. So far, The Democracy Project, Winds of Change and Media Lies all take issue with the New York Times’ maths — debunking the meme of the Murderous Vet that the Times is trying to push. After doing the sums, Media Lies concludes,

In other words, the homicide rate for returning military personnel is dramatically lower — one-half to less than one-third as much as the general population. The entire thesis of the story is not only false but portrays the exact opposite of the truth!

After similarly taking the NYTs’ figures apart, Democracy Project comments, “In short, the NYT has no serious methodology but a serious agenda.”

Winds of Change answers their own question as to why the NYT does not publicise the fact that returned soldiers are actually less likely to become murderers: “Because it’s not part of the narrative of how our soldiers are either depraved or damaged.”

All this, less than 24 hours after the New York Times piece was published. All I can say is, Wow. And, Thank you.

Oh, almost forgot. The NY Times Public Editor can be reached at public@nytimes.com

http://tizona.wordpress.com/

This deliberate misrepresentation of some cobbled-together "facts" to make a case that didn't exist in the first place really gets my dander up.

I'll be emailing all Australian media that publishes this rubbish in any form.
Deuce
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

of course, the other communist sites have picked up on this trash piece by the New Yuk Times as well:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080113/ap_on_re_us/killings_after_combat

FOLKS THE 2ND '30 YEAR WAR' (AGAINST VETERANS) IS ON!!!!!!!
Brought to you by the same hippies...Kennedy,Kerry,Fonda,et al...as the first 30 year war!
To their (miniscule) credit, the History Channel had a piece by R.Lee Ermey that was
mostly factual, but had clearly edited out any 'politically incorrect' data! But it
showed a fairly presented factual history of Vietnam War years thru his eyes! Of course,
that piece has been followed and will be followed by the standard Dizinformatsia marxist
lies usually found nowadays on the History Channel.
more at:
http://boards.historychannel.com/thread.jspa?threadID=800035204&tstart=0&mod=1200247736839
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sandi...thanks for bringing this info to the forum...I hadn't taken note of the NY Times article till now...and that "Tizona's Weblog" is a keeper.

Deja vu all over again as history repeats itself...

We have "created a monster, a monster in the form of millions of men who have been taught to deal and to trade in violence, and who have returned with a sense of anger."

John Kerry - April, 1971
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is only the first in a series planned by the NYT. Their effort is clearly agenda oriented, as others have said.

I am currently in the midst of writing about this for my blog, will post it later on. We must continue opposing this sort of nonsense.

I also wonder if this "series" isn't timed to coincide with the Son of Winter Soldier" upcoming in the near future?

Edited to add my take on it: New York Times Casts Aspersions On The Troops
carpro
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reminds me of the continual depiction of Vietnam veterans as "ticking time bombs".

History repeats itself again.
Anker-Klanker
Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I also wonder if this "series" isn't timed to coincide with the Son of Winter Soldier" upcoming in the near future?

Lew, I think you hit the nail squarely on the head!!
GenrXr
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those Soldiers, Sailors, Marines and Airmen really present a problem for the far left. They are patriotic, trained in basic survival and know how to fire a weapon. These people usually go on to teach their offspring the same.

These are traits which they must deny every American of before they implement their final solution.
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GenrXr wrote:
These are traits which they must deny every American of before they implement their final solution.

GenrXr...your comment is as good a descriptive for the genesis of leftist anti-military obsession as I've read.

I'm not even sure, at this point, if the editors of the NY Times are aware of the roots of their own obsession.
shawa
CNO

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GREAT satire piece from Iowa Hawk:

Bylines of Brutality
As Casualties Mount, Some Question The Emotional Stability of Media Vets
Quote:
"With the current media industry economic quagmire, more and more of these people are being turned out in streets, with no discernible skills, especially rudimentary math," says Owens. "The only thing they know how to do is make stuff up, and they really can't even do that very well. It's like a big incompetent powder keg ready to go off."

“I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress, and grow brave by reflection. ‘Tis the business of little minds to shrink; but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death.” (Thomas Paine, 1776)
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh.My.Gawd ! I had NO idea it was THIS bad.

It MUST be Post Traumatic Sedition Disorder. Crying or Very sad
shawa
CNO

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post Traumatic SEDITION Disorder.

Heh, that's clever, #1!
“I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress, and grow brave by reflection. ‘Tis the business of little minds to shrink; but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death.” (Thomas Paine, 1776)
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not fit to mention even in the same breath as Iowahawk. THAT was a MASTERPIECE of satire Laughing

Great link...thanks Wink
GenrXr

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark Steyn weighs in...

Quote:
Faced with an historically low cost of war, they retreat into fantasy.

fortdixlover

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me#1You#10 wrote:
Sandi...thanks for bringing this info to the forum...I hadn't taken note of the NY Times article till now...and that "Tizona's Weblog" is a keeper.

Deja vu all over again as history repeats itself...

We have "created a monster, a monster in the form of millions of men who have been taught to deal and to trade in violence, and who have returned with a sense of anger."

John Kerry - April, 1971

You should remember NYT sales are plummeting; and many have little trust in it - as well as the MSM - from all sides of the political spectrum except perhaps the so-far-left-they've-left-the-galaxy loons.

Powerline had an effective take-down of this NYT trash:

http://www.powerlineblog.com/archives2/2008/01/019533.php

http://www.powerlineblog.com/archives2/2008/01/019654.php

-- FDL
baldeagle
PO2

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Y'all remember those old logic tests?
"Which item does not belong in the following list"?

From the NYT article
Quote:
Decades of studies on the problems of Vietnam veterans have established links between combat trauma and higher rates of unemployment, homelessness, gun ownership, child abuse, domestic violence, substance abuse — and criminality. On a less scientific level, such links have long been known.

Wonder how that got in there?
"In a word, I want an American character, that the powers of Europe may be convinced we act for ourselves and not for others; this, in my judgment, is the only way to be respected abroad and happy at home." --George Washington
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: