SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Powerline: McCain: SVPT had "legitimate" issues

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:02 am    Post subject: Powerline: McCain: SVPT had "legitimate" issues Reply with quote

Perhaps a not-so-surprising concession from John McCain today, given the fallout from Anne Coulter's recent column which, apparently, has hit home. Too bad you didn't "clarify" your position when it counted Senator McCain...

Quote:
McCain Denies Alito Quote

John McCain held a blogger conference call today...

<snip>

McCain also clarified his position on the Swift Boat Vets' 2004 ads. I've often seen McCain quoted as a critic of the Vets, but he was quick to say that he was only critical of the ad that questioned Kerry's combat record. McCain said he thought that was out of bounds. On the other hand, when the Vets went after Kerry's activities with Vietnam Veterans Against the War, his testimony before the Foreign Relations Committee, his charges of atrocities and his antiwar activities generally, that was "legitimate" and "fair game."

Powerline - cont'd

Last edited by Me#1You#10 on Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:06 pm; edited 2 times in total
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amen! It's just too darn convenient for him to make this (tiny little) concession to pure fact at this late date.

And although my memory is a little foggy, I would swear that he isn't telling the truth, anyway.

I seem to recall that there was a hell of a lot more to his criticism of the Swifties than what he admits to.
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too seem to recall McCain had more to say than just about the ads, but cannot find anything now. Seems to me it was on O'Reilly's show that he had more to say.

I did find this,
Quote:
he's speaking out against the anti-Kerry ad because "it reopens all the old wounds of the Vietnam War, which I spent the last 35 years trying to heal."

"I deplore this kind of politics," McCain said. "I think the ad is dishonest and dishonorable. As it is, none of these individuals served on the boat (Kerry) commanded. Many of his crew have testified to his courage under fire. I think John Kerry served honorably in Vietnam. I think George Bush served honorably in the Texas Air National Guard during the Vietnam War."

McCain condemns anti-Kerry ad
BuffaloJack
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
As it is, none of these individuals served on the boat (Kerry) commanded.

Correct. Also correct, Mr. McCain, is that none of these individuals flew in the plane you piloted. Exactly how big do you think a swift boat is? It holds a crew of 5 or 6. Swift boats and their crews acted together as a squadron. At any given swift boat base, all the sailors knew each other very well. Even on different boats, we could still talk to each other and watch each other while we performed our duties. Under your implied rules, the only person qualified to speak of your war record would be your copilot or navigator.
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Gag. I had forgotten that one...and it is SO incredibly suggestive of a basic character flaw.

Just a few moments of reflection should tell even those with no military experience that this is a specious, contrived and strained distortion of the concept "to serve with", overtly used to limit the universe of those qualified to judge Kerry's performance of duty. It's almost INCOMPREHENSIBLE that John McCain gave credence to this shameful bit of unbridled semantics.

Pity Hinderacker or one of the bloggers didn't ask him about that when they had the opportunity. Perhaps another opportunity will present itself.

Last edited by Me#1You#10 on Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Harvuskong
Seaman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BuffaloJack wrote:
Quote:

Correct. Also correct, Mr. McCain, is that none of these individuals flew in the plane you piloted. Exactly how big do you think a swift boat is? It holds a crew of 5 or 6. Swift boats and their crews acted together as a squadron. At any given swift boat base, all the sailors knew each other very well. Even on different boats, we could still talk to each other and watch each other while we performed our duties. Under your implied rules, the only person qualified to speak of your war record would be your copilot or navigator.

Hmmm, I seem to remember an individual who served as a gunner on Kerry's boat.

Steve Gardener is that individual, the gunner, who is said to have spent the most time on Kerry's boat.
Anker-Klanker
Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ladies and Gentlemen: meet the "Straight Talk Express"!

Lots of Conservatives and Republicans don't like McCain for his policy positions. To me, however, my main problem is with the character issues surrounding him (not that I don't also have some problems with policy issues, too). I think he's arrogant (to a major fault), stubborn, prone to shading the truth (which makes his "straight talk" self-appelation just that much more hypocritical), and quick-tempered: not characteristics I want in a POTUS.

About the only thing good I can say about him is that he seems to be less flawed than Hillary.
Anker-Klanker
Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
McCain also clarified his position on the Swift Boat Vets' 2004 ads. I've often seen McCain quoted as a critic of the Vets, but he was quick to say that he was only critical of the ad that questioned Kerry's combat record. McCain said he thought that was out of bounds. On the other hand, when the Vets went after Kerry's activities with Vietnam Veterans Against the War, his testimony before the Foreign Relations Committee, his charges of atrocities and his antiwar activities generally, that was "legitimate" and "fair game."

Just dealing with the above quote... I admit that I, too, never really cared for the ad dealing with Kerry's medals - it was too "down in the weeds" for most non-military people to grasp - while there was bigger and better material that more people could easily grasp and/or understand. But I never ever thought that it was "out of bounds." I'd really like to have an explanation for why McCain thinks/thought so. Therein lies a story that probably reveals a lot about McCain.
zinfella
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys just don't get it. Macaniac has declared a statute of limitations on any negative comments where Vietnam, Macainiac/Feingold, Macainiac/Kennedy, Macainiac/Lieberman, POWs/MIAs, and Budweiser are part of the topic. He thinks that you should get over it!

I've already sent in my early ballot, where he was not even close to my choice, and I think that HE should get over it!

There's a very good chance that Macainiac will not carry his home state of Arizona, where he was NOT endorsed by the then Republican governor ("Propane Jane" Hull) back in 2000.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
hleone
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello again, y'all.

Just a small but very proud financial supporter of your terrific cause during the '04 election season. Haven't visited this forum in a long while. Wasn't sure my password would still get me in.

From this never-served, conservative boomer, I just want to pipe in that it was his numerous descriptions of the SwiftVets as "disgraceful" that first proved to me John McCain's true colors. He has never seemed as dismayed with all the totally-unsubstantiated claims that Move-On and its minions on the American left have hurled at President Bush for 7 years.

I truly appreciate that he endured hell as a POW, but politician McCain is neither the supporter of veterans nor the conservative Republican that he pretends to be.

If he respected military vets, he could not have dismissed out of hand (and actively demeaned) the valient attempts by the honorable SwiftVets to expose Kerry to American voters. Without even considering the SwiftVet testimonies, McCain called them baseless, political vitriol. Instead of considering the statements of all you vets who had first-hand knowledge, he threw you overboard and defended and supported Kerry, thus aiding and abetting Kerry in misrepresenting to American voters that he was indeed a war hero more than worthy to be elected Commander-in-Chief. Apparently, McCain even seriously considered jumping parties and running as Kerry's VP.

In this current election season, I have seen McCain misrepresent himself to voters time and time again, with regard to his "support for tax cuts, his disdain for amnesty for illegals and his core conservative views," none of which are supported by his actual record.

It is obvious to me the man is not very smart, perceptive or truthful.

And his "holier-than-thou" stance against waterboarding a captured terrorist in a desperate attempt to save thousands of innocent American lives is a complete joke, as far as I am concerned. I do not believe for one minute that he or any other American President would hesitate to authorize waterboarding in such a dire situation. Waterboarding does not cause permanent injury, it is fast, and it always extracts information. I believe labeling that as torture is nothing more than more dishonest pandering to the American left by Mr. McCain, which he has a very bad habit of doing, as proved by all the major legislation he has passed in Congress.

Just my two cents.

Thanks again for EVERYTHING you guys have done to help protect America, from your active service years thru present day.

harold (louisiana)
Leeman
PO3

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see McCain plain as day on the White house Lawn !!! at the Mic with commie Kerry backing him up against swifty charges !!!!!

I don't care what he says now !!!! I have that visual imbedded in my mind.

"We are all Ghost now"
"But once we were men"

from an unsigned diary recovered from Cabanatuan Camp
RiflemanDD730
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kerry's combat record is fair game considering that a Purple Heart should not be awarded if enemy action is not a factor and a Bronze Star isn't usually awarded for reaching down to help someone get in a boat when no enemy fire is present.
fortdixlover
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me#1You#10 wrote:
It's almost INCOMPREHENSIBLE that John McCain gave credence to this shameful bit of unbridled semantics.

It's almost INCOMPREHENSIBLE that John McCain gave credence to this shameful and entirely premeditated, deliberate example of the Art of Political Warfare.

There. Fixed that for ya...

-- FDL
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: