SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"'Cage fighting' slugs its way on to prime-time TV"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 4:25 pm    Post subject: "'Cage fighting' slugs its way on to prime-time TV" Reply with quote

Our unrelenting slide into the cultural abyss continues... (emphasis mine)

Quote:
"Cage fighting" slugs its way on to prime-time TV
Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:22am EST
By Steve Gorman

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - CBS is bringing mixed martial arts, the bone-crunching combat sport popularly known as "cage fighting," to prime-time television this spring, the U.S. network said on Thursday.

Branded as barbaric by critics in the 1990s for its lack of rules, mixed martial arts, or MMA, has evolved into a more mainstream sport that bars biting, eye-gouging, head-butting and strikes to the groin.

But fierce punching, kicking, karate, judo and wrestling moves -- with no protective gear -- are still very much a part of the sport.

<snip>

Beginning in April or May, CBS plans to broadcast four MMA events each year as two-hour live specials airing on Saturday nights, a time period once reserved for such family fare as "The Mary Tyler Moore Show," "The Bob Newhart" and "The Carol Burnett Show."

<snip>

"It is a sport that has a very strong fan base and attracts a terrific audience," CBS Entertainment executive Kelly Kahl told Reuters. "We're putting it on Saturday nights, a night that has been underserved by all the networks for quite some time. So it's low risk and a potentially large reward."

<snip>

"It is a sport, and it has violent elements. So does football, so does hockey," Kahl said. "If an injury does happen, we'll try to treat it as tactfully and tastefully as we can. But it's not something we're going to hype."

Reuters - cont'd
GenrXr
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These guys are a disgrace to trained athletes. I was watching an ultimate fight a friend convinced me to watch to prove their "worthiness" and the first thing I noticed was heavy breathing and their mouths opening within 1 minute of the first round. A well conditioned prize fighter will go 30 minutes before opening his mouth.

These poorly trained and non-athletic bar bouncers would be knocked and and most likely killed within 20 seconds against a ranked boxer.

They are not conditioned to take a punch and boxers fight with 16 oz. gloves, while the cage fighters use 5 oz. I cannot begin to describe the punishment a trained fighter would deliver to an "ultimate fighter" while wearing 5 oz. gloves and doubt any state would ever sanction the fight.

It would be a death sentence.
Wing Wiper
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are about 6 hours of MMA bouts on my cable service for every hour of boxing. What's that tell you?
GenrXr
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wing Wiper wrote:
There are about 6 hours of MMA bouts on my cable service for every hour of boxing. What's that tell you?

Advertisers are reaching a white audience and there is a racial component to it. Personally, I have been watching boxing my whole life and view the Hagler three round KO over Hearns as the best fight ever and my personal favorite as far as boxers go is Pernel Whitaker.

I was really upset when he came out of prison and had to "no mas" against a weak opponent, only to find out later he tested positive for cocaine.

Boxing has been on a downward slide ever since Don King came into the picture and the "ultimate fighting" is emblematic of pervasive social decay.

We have began to accept the unexceptional as exceptional. We no longer require and demand a pursuit of excellence, rather seem comfortable when our athletic champions show weakness such as steroid use and declare it a human issue as opposed to people being unfit for their position.

When these ultimate fighters begin gasping for air after 45 seconds, we should be laughing at, not celebrating them.
Wing Wiper
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
When these ultimate fighters begin gasping for air after 45 seconds, we should be laughing at, not celebrating them.

I've seen boxing matches where one or both of the opponents were fat, out of shape and short of talent. I prefer to enjoy both sports.
I'd say my favorite fight of all time was Ray Leonard vs. Wilfred Benitez.
Hagler/Hearns was outstanding.

You need to watch some of the top MMA talent like Fedor or Mirko Crocop if you want to see the real athletes in that sport.

I believe the public school system is more to blame for "pervasive social decay" than MMA, but that's just me. Laughing
I B Squidly
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My grandpa was a big fan of Gorgeous George. At 85 he was only getting 15% oxygen to the brain. (male chicken)* fights would have worked just as well.

Was it the second Liston/Clay fight that Robert Goullet forgot the words to the National Anthem (Yeah, he's a Canuck)? Anyway, Sonny later said Elijah Mohammed coerced his throw of the fight. The "Greatest"..... it's all show biz. Ali's been a gibbering idiot since the Thrilla' in Manila. Joltin' Joe is still with us, but he doesn't know it. Go to it all you would be mandingos.

Watching this stuff keeps people off the streets and I guess that's a good thing; like 'bread and circus. Excuse me if I neither participate, observe nor give a rat's .....

*the word doesn't pass the censor.

-Wlm Shakespeare
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: