SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ted Kennedy: I'd like wife to take seat

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
baldeagle
PO2

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 12:13 pm    Post subject: Ted Kennedy: I'd like wife to take seat Reply with quote

Thursday, May 22nd 2008, 4:00 AM

Ted Kennedy has made clear to confidants that when his time is up, he wants his Senate seat to stay in the family - with his wife, Vicki.

Multiple sources in Massachusetts with close ties to the liberal lion say his wife of 16 years has long been his choice to continue carrying the family flame in the Senate. Kennedy won the seat in 1962; his brother John held it from 1953 to 1960.

"There's no question that he'd like Vicki to continue in his seat," said one Massachusetts Democrat with ties to the Camelot clan who spoke to Kennedy recently, before his health crisis.

"She's smart, and smart politically."

The 54-year-old Victoria Reggie Kennedy, a former hotshot Washington lawyer, is a Louisiana native and the daughter of a politically active judge.
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/us_world/2008/05/22/2008-05-22_ted_kennedy_id_like_wife_to_take_seat.html
"In a word, I want an American character, that the powers of Europe may be convinced we act for ourselves and not for others; this, in my judgment, is the only way to be respected abroad and happy at home." --George Washington
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While Kennedy's wishes will probably influence a fair percentage of Mass voters, she would still have to be elected to that office. It is somewhat ironic that he might be stymied in his ability to control state government by legislation that he, in all liklihood, played a significant role in getting enacted...

Quote:
Under current Massachusetts law, his successor for the rest of his term, which ends in 2012, would be picked by special election. State rules that allowed the governor to pick a temporary replacement were changed in 2004 when John Kerry was the presidential nominee and the Democratic state legislature feared then-GOP Gov. Mitt Romney would appoint a fellow Republican if Kerry won.
TEWSPilot
Admiral

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 4:04 pm    Post subject: Coup de grāce Reply with quote

Are any of Mary Jo Kopechne's relatives still around in Massachusets and interested in politics? Rolling Eyes
rhv5862
PO2

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 9:27 pm    Post subject: Ted Kennedy: I'd like wife to take seat Reply with quote

This is Massachusetts. Although the law says a special election needs to be held to fill the seat the Pols in Mass could just change the law back to allowing the Governor to appoint someone. Since Democrates control most all the seats in the legislature it is possable. Some of the local talk shows have mentioned that if a strong Republican were to run they might just change law again.
Sure hope law does not get changed.

rhv5862
BuffaloJack
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Teddy,
Senator is not an inherited title.
This isn't aristocratic Europe.
baldeagle
PO2

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It probably won't matter whether the law is changed again, or not, I suspect the voters of the state of Massachusetts will do Teddy's bidding and award his wife with the seat if that is his wish.
Which makes Kerry the "senior' senator, then. Whatever bennies that title may accrue.
"In a word, I want an American character, that the powers of Europe may be convinced we act for ourselves and not for others; this, in my judgment, is the only way to be respected abroad and happy at home." --George Washington
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm wondering just what "clout" will remain with Kerry once the rug of the Kennedy machine is yanked from under his feet. Kerry is a Kennedy creation and the symbiosis is DNA deep.
TEWSPilot
Admiral

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 6:13 pm    Post subject: In the European tradition,..... Reply with quote

Where did the saying "fold like a cheap suit" originate? And what was it's meaning? It seems now to be used when an opponent will back away and run (sports teams, politicians).

Cheap suits are normally made of thinner and poorer-quality fabric than expensive ones, so they are easier to fold. "Fold" meaning "collapse or give way under pressure" has been in use since the 16th century. Perhaps the commonest use nowadays is in card-playing; in poker, a player who "folds" gives up and withdraws from the game.

...on the other hand, there is a street version that uses the term "cheap suit"....they were on him like a "cheap suit".

...either result would be satisfactory.... Rolling Eyes
zinfella
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kennedy is an empty suit, IMO. The question now is, is he emptier than Obama, who appears vacuous. Twisted Evil
Stevie
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Senator is not an inherited title.
This isn't aristocratic Europe.

wow! glad you posted that - was getting worried someone took over while I was sleeping last night... like a Kennedy...

once a well respected family - now, not so much! lol!

btw - isn't Ted too old to be in congress? He is past 71 now.
be arrested, exiled or hanged.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: