SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"The Soft Bigotry of Low Expectations"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:06 pm    Post subject: "The Soft Bigotry of Low Expectations" Reply with quote

Taranto comments on a sign of the times...

Quote:
BEST OF THE WEB TODAY
By JAMES TARANTO
July 1, 2008

The Soft Bigotry of Low Expectations

"A British high school student received credit for writing nothing but a two-word obscenity on an exam paper because the phrase expressed meaning and was spelled correctly," the Associated Press reports from London:
    The Times newspaper on Monday quoted examiner Peter Buckroyd as saying he gave the student--who wrote an expletive starting with f, followed by the word "off"--two points out of a possible 27 for the English paper.

"It would be wicked to give it zero because it does show some very basic skills we are looking for, like conveying some meaning and some spelling," Buckroyd was quoted as saying.

"It's better than someone that doesn't write anything at all."

Buckroyd said the student would have received a higher mark if the phrase had been punctuated.
Standards are even lower at the Democratic Leadership Council, reports Angry Left blogger Markos Moulitsas:
    There I was, in the lion's den, calling Joe Lieberman an a--h---.

And people applauded and cheered.

I'm not sure what that means, but I got the DLC to applaud me calling Lieberman an a--h---. That means something.
He probably would've gotten a standing ovation if the phrase had been punctuated.

Best of the Web Today

Last edited by Me#1You#10 on Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:42 am; edited 1 time in total
TEWSPilot
Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:53 pm    Post subject: HUH? Really.... Reply with quote

My great-grandfather fought till the end of the Civil War and my father and great uncles fought in WWI and my uncles and father-in-law fought WWII and I flew 100+ missions in Vietnam to preserve THIS WORLD? Crying or Very sad

He who gives witness to these things says, Truly, I come quickly. Even so come, Lord Jesus. -- Revelation 22:20
zinfella
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:21 pm    Post subject: Re: HUH? Really.... Reply with quote

TEWSPilot wrote:
My great-grandfather fought till the end of the Civil War and my father and great uncles fought in WWI and my uncles and father-in-law fought WWII and I flew 100+ missions in Vietnam to preserve THIS WORLD? Crying or Very sad

He who gives witness to these things says, Truly, I come quickly. Even so come, Lord Jesus. -- Revelation 22:20

I understand that there are idiots, I just wish that they'd stay the hell out of the way, instead of making things easy for our enemies.
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: HUH? Really.... Reply with quote

TEWSPilot wrote:
I flew 100+ missions in Vietnam to preserve THIS WORLD? Crying or Very sad

It was the "greatest generation" who ceded control of our educational institutions to leftist ideologues. We are now and will be paying a high price for that negligence for generations to come.
TEWSPilot
Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 5:35 pm    Post subject: Homeschooling and Private Schools may be the last best hope Reply with quote

Get your kids out of public schools now!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: