SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Col. Day/SBVT Kerfuffle

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:17 pm    Post subject: Col. Day/SBVT Kerfuffle Reply with quote

A follow-up commentary on "Powerline", while earlier correctly noting CNN's biased and limited characterization of Col. Day's biography, makes note of a minor side-kerfuffle relating to whether or not CNN's referral to Col. Day as a member of "Swift Boat Veterans for Truth" is or is not accurate.

It is rare for me to disagree with a "Powerline" position, but Scott Johnson appears to be just a bit muddled in his thinking on this relatively minor point...perhaps aided and abetted by some ill-considered hair-splitting courtesy of Col Day's biographer, Robert Coram.

Apparently anxious to "protect" Col. Day from what he might consider a less-than-desirable association with aspects of the SBVT case against Kerry, Mr. Coram appears to have opted for a Clinton-esque "what 'is' is" rebuttal.

While, technically speaking, CNN WAS less than absolutely accurate in characterizing Col. Day as a member of "Swift Boat Veterans for Truth" (as opposed to "Swift Vets and POWs for Truth"), Mr. Coram's "rebuttal" appears to be rather disingenuous and BARELY defensible...and CNN is not, IMHO, culpable of any gross distortion of fact in THAT regard.

Unarguably there are veterans who are uncomfortable with SVPT criticisms regarding John Kerry's actual service in Vietnam. In fact, that discomfort may have even dissuaded a fair percentage of Swift Boat Veterans from aligning themselves with the SBVT initiative from the outset. Perhaps Mr. Coram holds a similar view and simply over-reacted to what should have been almost a non-issue.

As to the premise that the military records and awards of someone aspiring to high office (or even low office for that matter) are somehow sacrosanct and "off-limits" to even cursory examination, I can only say this. If you follow that line of thinking to its logical conclusion, you are affording politicians, would-be politicians and every other species of lying scoundrel a deference that is not only foolhardy but historically indefensible.

Ask Tom Harkin.

Last edited by Me#1You#10 on Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update:

This story has ratcheted up a bit with a response from Scott Swett followed by another rebuttal from Mr. Coram. Scott Swett then comments further in the Powerline "forum"...read it for yourselves.

I think I'll reserve further comment on this until the dust settles a bit...save for one more observation.

I earlier surmised that Mr. Coram's response might reflect some mis-guided hypersensitivity in behalf of Colonel Day. I'm beginning to sense that, instead, it may be in behalf of...John McCain.
TEWSPilot
Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:47 pm    Post subject: CEASE FIRE YOU IDIOT! Reply with quote

Will McCain and his handlers never learn to stop shooting blindly at sounds and movement instead of identifying his target? He continues to blast away into his reinforcements and support troops. Good thing he never served on a submarine.
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:01 pm    Post subject: Re: CEASE FIRE YOU IDIOT! Reply with quote

TEWSPilot wrote:
Will McCain and his handlers never learn to stop shooting blindly at sounds and movement instead of identifying his target? He continues to blast away into his reinforcements and support troops. Good thing he never served on a submarine.

Well said Tews...almost poetic.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: