SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Great read on David Zucker's new comedy/assault on the Left

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GenrXr
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 7:25 pm    Post subject: Great read on David Zucker's new comedy/assault on the Left Reply with quote

Click here to read it.

Couple of quotes

Quote:
The holiday in An American Carol is not Christmas and the antagonist is not Ebenezer Scrooge. Instead, the film follows the exploits of a slovenly, anti-American filmmaker named Michael Malone, who has joined with a left-wing activist group (Moovealong.org) to ban the Fourth of July. Along the way, Malone is visited by the ghosts of three American heroes--George Washington, George S. Patton, and John F. Kennedy--who try to convince him he's got it all wrong. When terrorists from Afghanistan realize that they need to recruit more operatives to make up for the ever-diminishing supply of suicide bombers, they begin a search for just the right person to help produce a new propaganda video. "This will not be hard to find in Hollywood," says one. "They all hate America." When they settle on Malone, who is in need of work after his last film (Die You American Pigs) bombed at the box office, he unwittingly helps them with their plans to launch another attack on American soil.

One of my favorite parts,

Quote:
Eventually, the conversation turns from policy to punditry. Grammer, who is friends with Ann Coulter, says he quoted her once to some of the young people who work for him.

"'Ann Coulter,'" he says, recalling their horror and assuming their voice. "'She's the antichrist.' And I said: 'What the f-- do you know about the antichrist? You don't even believe in Christ.'"

Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
McEveety is one of several big names that will make it hard for the Hollywood establishment to ignore An American Carol. Jon Voight plays George Washington. Dennis Hopper makes an appearance as a judge who defends his courthouse by gunning down ACLU lawyers trying to take down the Ten Commandments. James Woods plays Michael Malone's agent. And Kelsey Grammer plays General George S. Patton, Malone's guide to American history and the mouthpiece of the film's writers.

I might actually go to a theatre to see this...after a 30+ year hiatus.
JN173
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I pray it becomes as much of a classic as "Airplane" and "Naked Gun". Laughing Laughing
GenrXr

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JN173 wrote:
I pray it becomes as much of a classic as "Airplane" and "Naked Gun". Laughing Laughing

If it is as good as either of those films, the cultural impact among the young will be huge and a great duty will be performed in their service to this country.
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I predict very unfavorable reviews from the "critics," but a smashing box office success.

Like #1, it seems I can return to a theater to view something worthwhile, finally.

The real shame, in reading through the article, is the caution many had in approaching each other, in America.

As we know, the "tolerance" of the left is total intolerance of anything not left.
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
"The accepted way to speak about America is in the voice that disrespects it. And the voice that's unacceptable is the one that loves America," he (Kelsey Grammer) says, wearing the uniform of an Army general and sipping from a bottle of pomegranate juice. "How did we get here?"

This reminded me almost instantly of the Steve McQueen character, Jake Holman, and his final line in "The Sand Pebbles"...

Quote:
I was home. What happened? What the hell happened?
TEWSPilot
Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

#1, I hope we don't wake up on Nov 5th saying that very thing.
GenrXr

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

early review

Quote:
The comical attacks on Jihad and radical Muslims alone are worthy of a twenty-year off-the-grid Salmon Rushdie vacation for Zucker and everyone else involved. George Clooney thinks he’s a brave filmmaker for tackling McCarthy or Big Oil? DePalma and Paul Haggis think they’re courageous for attacking Bush policies and the War in Iraq? Dudes, that ****’s so safe you coulda put Sandy Duncan in them! But this...this is real life dangerous **** here! And I say: it’s about freaking time someone had the nads to do it. Only in pansy-ass Hollywood ’08 does it take a comedy director to avenge the death of Theo Van Gogh.

Stevie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my gf and i go to the movies about twice a yr...

fall and spring - this is gonna be our 'fall' movie I hope.

there is also a movie about a taco bell type dog coming out Lew - that'll be safe! lol!

that was my pick for the fall movie til I saw the promo for this one!

about a yr ago we went to see Firehouse Dog...
we see a lot of dog movies...
be arrested, exiled or hanged.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: