SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Invisible Ink and the LA Times

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:08 pm    Post subject: Invisible Ink and the LA Times Reply with quote

For those of us who continue to carefully observe John Kerry's influence over and posturing in behalf of Obama, documenting the MSM's penchant for enabling Kerry's chicanery is a full-time job...and not without cause. It seems highly probable that, should Obama win the election, Kerry will come calling, "good luck hat" in hand, for Obama's "quo" in payment for the "quid" that Kerry has evidenced thus far in the campaign. It is also likely to be in the form of a high-profile, cabinet-level position requiring Senate Confirmation Hearings, and the prospect of Senatorial demands for access to Kerry's military records via SF180 (if they even need that?) in pursuit of their constitutional mandate to "advise and consent" presents an interesting scenario and, perhaps, opportunity.

With that in mind, there's a curious "disappearance" of text from an as yet still available LA Times archive of Stephen Braun's June 8, 2005 article, "Kerry Makes His Military, Medical File Available".

Note in the following quote...

Stephen Braun wrote:
A less flattering portrait of Kerry shows up in other documents in the file. Correspondence from Navy officials reveals that soon after leaving Vietnam, Kerry took pains to make sure that all his wartime commendations were documented in his military file.

“Subject officer advised

Kerry’s reluctance last year to give unfettered access to his file may have provided Swift boat critics with a ready-made issue. But his political caution, Benoit said, was understandable.

...the disappearance of an "ellipse" and all that follows in that paragraph after the word "advised".

Here is the actual text of the original story, obtained via the pay-for-view archive. (This, curiously, is the only "return" you get when doing an LA Times "search" for the original story . I happened to find the free link by manipulating a link to another "archived" story and don't know how anyone would discover it otherwise)...

Stephen Braun wrote:
A less flattering portrait of Kerry shows up in other documents in the file. Correspondence from Navy officials reveals that soon after leaving Vietnam, Kerry took pains to make sure that all his wartime commendations were documented in his military file.

"Subject officer advised ... that he has never received the citation or decoration for the Silver Star medal," a Navy personnel officer wrote in a file notation in December 1969 -- nine months after Kerry had returned from Vietnam.

Kerry’s reluctance last year to give unfettered access to his file may have provided Swift boat critics with a ready-made issue. But his political caution, Benoit said, was understandable.

Perhaps I'm too cynical when dealing with the LA Times and/or any offering from Stephen Braun on the subject of Kerry and the Swiftvets story, but might this be a deliberate deletion of original text?

That being said (in devil's advocate mode)...
  1. Is it logical that even THEY would stoop to this level in attempting to mitigate the damage done by Braun's singular revelation? (Kranish said nothing and I haven't yet located Glen Johnson reportage...if any)

2. Does it make sense to mask a portion of an article whose entire content is still available in paid archives?

3. The portion of the article "off'd" doesn't appear to be particularly damaging to Kerry relative to what preceded it, so why erase it? ...or am I, perhaps, missing or overlooking something here?
Perhaps what piques my cynicism even more is Braun's use of the "ellipse" in shedding the full comments of the "Navy personnel officer" and no mention of the other "documents" (plural) alluded to evidencing "pains" and "a less flattering portrait".

While Kerry may have been less than happy with Braun's limited candor, it is hardly without justification to assume that "friendly" reporters might not look at Kerry's records with the traditional "jaundiced eye" of investigative journalism...and it begs the question..."What ELSE might be in those records?"
TEWSPilot
Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:59 am    Post subject: What's that stench? Reply with quote

Do you suppose there might be a "less than honorable" discharge fermenting in there? As lacking in character as most of the Kerry media apologists seem to be, perhaps for the right "compensation" or in retalliation for being used as a stooge for so long, one of them just might leak it. That would certainly be justice, although long delayed. Wouldn't a copy of Kerry's original DD 214 with red edit marks and footnotes for his medals make a great backdrop on the Jumbotron at the Democratic Convention as Kerry and Obama embrace in solidarity? It would probably need Obama's unofficial "Presidential Seal" to authenticate it.

...by the way, here are are other possibilities for Obama's new Latin slogan courtesy of Neal Boortz:
Margaritas ante porcos
Vae puto deus fio
Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareis
Cedo nulli
Cum catapultae proscriptae erat, tum soli prescript catapultas habeunt.
Hunc tu cavetto
Magister Mundi scum!
Nihil est--in vita priore ego imperator Romanus fui
Nimiast miseria nimis pulchrum esse hominum
Mandamus

...and my personal favorite:

"Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit" -- a latin proverb meaning "A wise man does not pee against the wind".
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: What's that stench? Reply with quote

TEWSPilot wrote:
Do you suppose there might be a "less than honorable" discharge fermenting in there?

I suppose it is possible, but every serious discussion I've read on this appears to end at the closed vault door of the Privacy Act.

TEWSPilot wrote:
As lacking in character as most of the Kerry media apologists seem to be, perhaps for the right "compensation" or in retalliation for being used as a stooge for so long, one of them just might leak it.

I doubt it. The universe of those with the access required is micro-limited to a select few who now have credibility, reputation and even careers on the line...not to mention a DNA deep ideological commitment that regards Kerry as a proxy for their own philosophy and world view. Their leftist roots long ago discarded the tired notion of an end not justifying the means and "fake but accurate" is in fine fettle.

While I don't believe for a minute that Kerry will escape the judgement of history, if he is to be outed in this lifetime for the preposterous fraud that he is, it will more likely be done by his own hand grasping desperately for the personal gratification that his all-consuming, enormous ego and ambition demand.

Arguably, the prime ingredient of a fraud worthy of the name is its imperviousness to examination. Whether Kerry's fraud can survive the prodigious prying that a senate confirmation hearing might bring to bear remains to be seen...or even whether he might be willing to risk the exposure.

Of course that could all be avoided with a VP nomination, but both his ego and political considertion argue against that plausibility. That odious prospect, however, still lingers.
TEWSPilot
Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everybody loves a Circus, and the Democratic Party is about to run one in Denver. Maybe Kerry the Klown on the High Wire will try his schtick once too often, and this time the net won't be there when he missteps and falls off. Like you say, if he scores a Cabinet post in the Nobama Politburro or some other position requiring confirmation, maybe when he struts across the high wire again in the Senate confirmation hearings, the net won't be there, either...we can only hope.
DADESID
Seaman

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could go with Obama's original "Vero Possumus" provided the words "merdam edere" were inserted between "Vero" and "Possumus".
TEWSPilot
Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 3:06 am    Post subject: What's that smell coming off his speech? Reply with quote

DADESID wrote:
I could go with Obama's original "Vero Possumus" provided the words "merdam edere" were inserted between "Vero" and "Possumus".

...and sadly, a lot of ignorant zombies lap it up by by the Donkey load, too. He should call his caravan "The Road Apple Express"....
GoophyDog
PO1

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Call me illiterate but I can't get the visual out of my mind when I see "Vero Possumus" - straight translation "Just Play Possum"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: