SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Give me credit or pay my mortgage

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TEWSPilot
Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 6:43 am    Post subject: Give me credit or pay my mortgage Reply with quote

I'm not sure how to phrase this, but I have a question...maybe just a musing. If the multi-trillion-dollar bailouts are forced on the American taxpayers, shouldn't we the taxpayers receive something in return besides a debt we will never pay off in our lifetimes...and maybe not for several generations? If we are forced to shoulder this debt, including paying off mortgages that should never have been originated, I believe the government should be constrained to provide something in return:

1. Allow each taxpayer a payment voucher equal to the portion of the debt that the taxpayer will be assuming so that we who have played by the rules can benefit from out prudent behavior and pay off our own mortgages while we are paying off "toxic" debts created by fools and scoundrels. It should be calculated the same way income tax is calculated.

or

2. Allow each taxpayer a tax credit, amortized over some fixed time period, equal to the portion of the debt that the taxpayer will be assuming. It should be calculated the same way income tax is calculated.

Either way, those paying the most in taxes and carrying the largest proportion of the debt would receive the greatest credit, and those who pay little or no taxes and have little or no debt obligation would hardly be affected positively or negatively.

If our government wants to impose Karl Marx' "to each according to his needs, from each according to his means" Communism on us, they need to take the same medicine.

Some enterprising lawyer could become very rich if s/he could figure out a way to make that happen.

...of course the best solution is to get the government out of the "bailout" business and let the market correct itself with perhaps some prudent "soft landing" assistance from the taxpayers...and then put all the scoundrels responsible for this mess into prison.
baldeagle
PO2

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Give me credit or pay my mortgage Reply with quote

TEWSPilot wrote:

...of course the best solution is to get the government out of the "bailout" business and let the market correct itself with perhaps some prudent "soft landing" assistance from the taxpayers...and then put all the scoundrels responsible for this mess into prison.

Though I agree with your point 100%, I see a problem arising where we would be left without a quorum in Congress to conduct the nations business.
OTOH, after consideration, that would probably be a good thing, considering their past record in taking care of business.
"In a word, I want an American character, that the powers of Europe may be convinced we act for ourselves and not for others; this, in my judgment, is the only way to be respected abroad and happy at home." --George Washington
zinfella
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While the "bailout" is definitely going to be paid by the taxpayers, it's not at all clear how much we will have to come up with. The sad part about all of this, and what needs to be addressed in any legislation, is what happens as the money is recovered through sales of these properties. Every red cent of return, including ANY profits should go right back to the taxpayers that funded this debacle, and not into the hands of politicians!!!!

If they can figure out how much to charge us to pay for all of this, then they can damn well figure out how to pay us back! Mad

These properties are not worthless, even if the paper that they are written on is.

On top of this slap to the taxpayer, Obama wants to tax us another 50 billion, so he can give it to the World's poor! A pox on that communist puke!
Stevie
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

he was asked today (on tv today) about being able to go thru with all of his projects etc now. he said they'd have to review/think it now.

we'll see in the next 2-3 wks what he says about taxing people etc.

I think he'll still try to tax us if he can get away with it.

but as BOR said - forget healthcare!
be arrested, exiled or hanged.
homesteader
PO3

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obama should be asked a simple yet reasonable question.

Did you see this crisis coming?

Politically he can not say no.

He will say "of course". He will throw in a lot of blame and "I told you sos".

Why then is he rethinking his tax proposals?

"Ahhhh, you see, Ummmm, as I have said, Uhhhh, let me be clear, Ahhh".

Check Mate!
dusty
Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to this plan in the future the govt. will be able to sell these 'bad' mortgages or properties and make the money back and conceivably even make some money on it.
My question would be....hehe....do you reckon we, the taxpayer who provided the money to buy these mortgages will get our money back or will it go where all other money flowing into govt. coffers go?
I think I know the answer.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: