SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"Substantiated" race-baiting at AP?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 8:01 pm    Post subject: "Substantiated" race-baiting at AP? Reply with quote

AP carries a "story" today that is quite "APtypical" (if I might coin a new and overdue adjective?). Ostensibly reporting on Sarah Palin's broadsides now being leveled at Obama inre Ayers, it reflects two of AP's approaches to "inconvenient truths", the dreaded and, by now, overbaked "unsubstantiated" (welcome to "Club Unsubstantiated" Sarah!)...

Quote:
And though she may have scored a political hit each time, her attack was unsubstantiated...

...and race-baiting innuendo/hyperbole...

Quote:
...and carried a racially tinged subtext that John McCain himself may come to regret.

Inre the latter, judging by the now re-written lede, AP appears to be backing off somewhat in the face of conservative outrage. Compare the 2, some 3 hours apart...

Quote:
Analysis: Palin's words carry racial tinge
By DOUGLASS K. DANIEL – 4 hours ago

WASHINGTON (AP) — By claiming that Democrat Barack Obama is "palling around with terrorists" and doesn't see the U.S. like other Americans, vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin targeted key goals for a faltering campaign.

And though she may have scored a political hit each time, her attack was unsubstantiated and carried a racially tinged subtext that John McCain himself may come to regret.

AP.GOOGLE.COM
- cont'd

Quote:
Analysis: Palin's words may backfire on McCain
By DOUGLASS K. DANIEL – 1 hour ago

WASHINGTON (AP) — By claiming that Democrat Barack Obama is "palling around with terrorists" and doesn't see the U.S. like other Americans, vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin targeted key goals for a faltering campaign.

And though she may have scored a political hit each time, her attack was unsubstantiated and carried a racially tinged subtext that John McCain himself may come to regret.

AP.GOOGLE.COM
- cont'd

Not surprisingly, however, the cat's already out of the bag.

Last edited by Me#1You#10 on Sun Oct 05, 2008 8:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
zinfella
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw the earlier headline, which I promptly ignored. The reason for that is that the left is defining any negative comments about Obama as racist comments. That is just outrageous, thus I ignore such ignorance. The AP is notoriously liberal, so they already have two strikes against them whenever I see a story listing them as a source.
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just noted that Drudge is carrying the Breitbart link. I imagine the McCain campaign will now have to respond.
zinfella
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me#1You#10 wrote:
I just noted that Drudge is carrying the Breitbart link. I imagine the McCain campaign will now have to respond.

We'll see if they respond, I'm not sure that they will dignify it with a response. It was a breitbart link, but still the same AP story.
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some heavy breathing from Hinderaker at Powerline...

Quote:
The Most Bizarre Journalistic Malpractice Yet?

It's a contender, anyway: the Associated Press claims that Sarah Palin's criticism of Barack Obama's relationship with Bill Ayers was racist!

The AP's article is an "analysis" by one Douglass K. Daniel, described as "a writer and editor with the Washington bureau of The Associated Press." It has to be read to be believed:

<snip AP propaganda>

When the McCain campaign ran an ad that had a white woman in it, it was denounced as racist. When it ran an ad that had an African-American man (Franklin Raines) in it, it was denounced as racist. Now the McCain campaign links Obama to a white man, the former terrorist, and still anti-American, Bill Ayers. That's racist too. I think we've exhausted just about all the possibilities. The only non-racist thing McCain can do, apparently, is concede the election.

There once was a time when the Associated Press was a respected news-gathering agency. Some years ago, it began to abandon that mission in order to transform itself into a liberal advocacy organization. That transformation is now pretty much complete.

2008 will be remembered, I think, as the year in which the collapse of traditional American media became irreversible. The AP has plenty of company.

Powerline

No John, the capitulation of traditional media to leftist advocacy was quite complete in 2004.
TEWSPilot
Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

World Net Daily has run stories for months...actually dating back years...about Obama and his Communist and Terrorist ties. If the polls are within an order of magnitude of correct, the Idiot Factor will carry the day in the upcoming election...we may just get the government we deserve.
dusty
Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a refreshing look at America and how it will vote this Nov. go take the AOL straw poll.
I think you'll like what you see.
http://news.aol.com/political-machine/2008/10/02/aol-straw-poll-oct-3-10/

Note: you have to have an AOL screen name to vote.
GenrXr
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me#1You#10 wrote:
Some heavy breathing from Hinderaker at Powerline...

Quote:
The Most Bizarre Journalistic Malpractice Yet?

It's a contender, anyway: the Associated Press claims that Sarah Palin's criticism of Barack Obama's relationship with Bill Ayers was racist!

The AP's article is an "analysis" by one Douglass K. Daniel, described as "a writer and editor with the Washington bureau of The Associated Press." It has to be read to be believed:

<snip AP propaganda>

When the McCain campaign ran an ad that had a white woman in it, it was denounced as racist. When it ran an ad that had an African-American man (Franklin Raines) in it, it was denounced as racist. Now the McCain campaign links Obama to a white man, the former terrorist, and still anti-American, Bill Ayers. That's racist too. I think we've exhausted just about all the possibilities. The only non-racist thing McCain can do, apparently, is concede the election.

There once was a time when the Associated Press was a respected news-gathering agency. Some years ago, it began to abandon that mission in order to transform itself into a liberal advocacy organization. That transformation is now pretty much complete.

2008 will be remembered, I think, as the year in which the collapse of traditional American media became irreversible. The AP has plenty of company.

Powerline

No John, the capitulation of traditional media to leftist advocacy was quite complete in 2004.

Agreed
Anker-Klanker
Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the subject AP article might be something quite remarkable (in the literal sense of the word).

AP was founded as a news-gathering organization to serve all the news-reporting organizations (TV, radio, newspapers, etc.). Over the years AP has become increasingly biased and agenda-driven in its news-gathering and reporting function, but until now - I believe - the fundamental premise of every AP piece (biased though it may be) was news. The subject AP article is to the best of my knowledge the first AP piece that contains NO news, and is ENTIRELY politcal commentary (or propoganda, if you prefer).

Newspapers, news broadcasts, news magazines, etc. wonder why their readership or audience is falling. The conventional wisdom among conservatives, of course, is that it is because of their bias. But I believe another leading cause, if not the leading cause, is because there is so little news in the "news", i.e., it has been becoming increasingly nothing more than political and social commentary. Thus, we have in this remarkable instance, a clear case of AP - which is supposed to be a news-gathering organization, remember - reporting NO news, but instead joining the rest of the pack. Maybe, finally, and regretably, we are seeing the tipping point in the demise in MSM. And it's absolutely nobody's fault but their own.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: