SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Iwo Jima Vet Shot Down By Two Low Lifes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TEWSPilot
Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 4:33 am    Post subject: Iwo Jima Vet Shot Down By Two Low Lifes Reply with quote

Quote:

Iwo Jima Vet Shot Down By Two Low Lifes
Posted by Duane Lester on Jun 9th, 2009

The battle of Iwo Jima began on February 19, 1945. Clair C. Chaffin was there. He was 20 years old and had lived almost a quarter of his life with America at war. He dropped out of high school in the 10th grade to join the Navy. He survived the Battle of Iwo Jima. He was awarded the Silver Star for his "heroic efforts as a military veteran."

While on a trip to meet with other WWII veterans when two men approached him in a Motel 6 parking lot. He was shot in the chest with a .40 caliber handgun.

He died.

The two dirtbags have been caught, and one could be facing the death penalty:

Sylvester Davis, 25, of Darlington, was arrested about 12:15 p.m. Tuesday after a brief vehicle chase in Darlington County, Sheriff Kenney Boone said. Davis was in a stolen Chevy Tahoe when he was spotted by law enforcement officers near Holly Circle in Darlington County.

Dondre Scott, 16, also of Darlington, was arrested about 5:30 p.m. Monday at a residence on Pisgah Road in Darlington County, Boone said.

Davis and Scott each face a murder charge in connection with Chaffin’s death.

“I think this is going to be a death penalty case,” Boone said.

The 12th Circuit Solicitor Ed Clements noted that the U.S. Supreme Court prohibits the death penalty for those under 18, so if Dondre pulled the trigger, he’s not going to go be executed.

Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a senseless, tragic loss...

Quote:
Fallen Iwo Jima vet recalled
Two fellow veterans pay homage to their comrade who was slain Monday.
By Diane Chun
Staff Writer
June 11, 2009

Two Marines remembered a fallen comrade Wednesday.

<snip>

Chaffin, Clif Cormier and Bob Gasche called themselves "the Iwo Trio."

The three first met through Gainesville's VFW. They represented each of the three U.S. Marine battalions that landed at Iwo Jima on Feb. 19, 1945. Allied forces suffered 27,909 casualties in the island campaign, with 6,825 killed in action.

<snip>

"There's so many that I wish I could have saved that I wasn't able to," Chaffin said during a Veteran's Day showing of the documentary "Testimony of War" in 2008.

That was Clair Chaffin, Cormier and Gasche said.

The Gainesville Sun - cont'd

Thank you Clair Chiffen
May you rest in eternal peace
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if "senseless" adequately describes this horrific crime. Men like Clair Chaffin deserve much more than meet with 2 worthless punks like those who shot him. Neither of them has an ounce of the bravery and devotion to their fellow man that Mr. Chaffin had.

I imagine had they asked for help, he would have given it. Instead, they choose the cowards way and shoot him, with no regard other than an easy target.

From what I read, Clair Chaffin lived an honorable life after the war still helping those he could.

How do we ever thank those who gave up so much long ago so we may remain free?

I add my condolences to his family as well as my thank you for all the sacrifices for our freedom.

Rest in peace, Sir.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: