SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Swift Boat Vets - watch Nightline tonight (August 9, 2004)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MiltonThrasher
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 7:35 pm    Post subject: Swift Boat Vets - watch Nightline tonight (August 9, 2004) Reply with quote

Nightline Daily E-Mail
August 9, 2004

TONIGHT'S FOCUS: Service in the Vietnam War, or lack of service, has become an issue in this election. John Kerry is running on his service record, the President is still dogged by questions about his service in the National Guard. Now there are veterans for Kerry, and veterans against him.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am amazed at how angry people are these days. There is a group out there called Swift Boat Veterans for Truth. They have launched an ad attacking John Kerry's service in Vietnam. They have paid to run the ad in only three states, figuring, quite correctly, that they would get lots of free coverage on news shows. Now there are some interesting things about this group. There are connections to the Republican Party, one of the veterans who had written a glowing assessment of Kerry back in Vietnam signed an affidavit attacking him, then sort of retracted that in a newspaper interview, and then apparently retracted the retraction.

Now I say people are angry because we have gotten a number of e-mails, starting the day the Swift Boat Veterans for Truth began their campaign, accusing us of all sorts of bias and worse for not investigating their claims. Whatever happened to patience? We wanted to investigate, but that takes a little time, but these days, unless there is some sort of instant response, it's clearly evidence of a conspiracy, or bias, or worse. Not sure what the "worse" is, but it seemed like a good way to end the sentence. I am increasingly convinced that we have lost something important in this country, and that's the capacity for honest disagreement. These days it's not enough that you have to prove the other person is wrong, you have to attack them and prove that they are a bad person for being wrong.

In any case, we're going to take a look at all this tonight. Correspondent Jake Tapper will take a look at the dispute, the dueling groups of swift boat veterans, and the political connections on both sides. He'll also try to sort out the accuracy of the claims on both sides, although, as I said above, I don't expect that to satisfy anyone. And I don't say that with any happiness. Correspondent Mike Cerre, himself a veteran of Vietnam, will look at the split within the Vietnam veteran community as a whole. And does this dispute matter to other voters?

Michel Martin will anchor tonight. Will we answer people's questions about this? That's certainly our intention. Will we bring back civility to this debate, or any other? I'm not that naïve.

Leroy Sievers and the Nightline Staff
Nightline Offices
ABC News Washington Bureau
in his books and speeches. Vote for Bush/Cheney '04. Korean War vet.

Last edited by MiltonThrasher on Tue Aug 10, 2004 11:39 am; edited 1 time in total
d19thdoc
PO3

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also note on Fox News cable tonight: Steve Gardner on O'Reilly (8:00 EDT) and John O'Neill on Hannity and Colmes (9:00 EDT) immediately following O'Reilly.
d19thdoc
PO3

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Swift Boat Vets - watch Nightline tonight (Augusts 9, 20 Reply with quote

Quote:
Now there are veterans for Kerry, and veterans against him.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There never were many veterans for Kerry, even in 1971. This is wake-up call time.

Quote:
I am amazed at how angry people are these days.

People like Howard Dean, and Al Gore, foaming at the mouth in public, and Michael Moore. They all get standing ovations and awards for their displays of hatred. People who tell the truth about Kerry are stigmatized as angry. Maybe it depends on whose ox is being "gored."

Quote:
They have paid to run the ad in only three states, figuring, quite correctly, that they would get lots of free coverage on news shows.

They also figured, quite correctly, that the left media would scream that it was undocumented slander . . . thus setting the stage for the whammy of documentation about to be sprung from "Unfit for Command . . . "

Quote:
Now there are some interesting things about this group. There are connections to the Republican Party . . .

Interesting how all the response ignores, or distorts, the bi-partisan nature of the membership, and implies that if you are a Republican, then you are obviously incapable of telling the truth.

Quote:
Now I say people are angry because we have gotten a number of e-mails, starting the day the Swift Boat Veterans for Truth began their campaign, accusing us of all sorts of bias and worse for not investigating their claims.

Their claims have been in the public domain since at least early May of this year, starting with a press conference at The National Press Club. AP deliberately spiked the story, and ABC certainly made no effort to investigate who these men really are and what substance there was to their claims. It was only when the ad smacked everyone who was hiding under their desks in their newsrooms in the butt that "investigation" began.

Quote:
I am increasingly convinced that we have lost something important in this country, and that's the capacity for honest disagreement. These days it's not enough that you have to prove the other person is wrong, you have to attack them and prove that they are a bad person for being wrong.

We have lost something important in this country. It is a media that performs public service by reporting truthfully what is going on. Most of the elite, mainstream media is now nothing more than a subset of the Kerry campaign. For example, they are all repeating without any question the Kerry mantra that "these men" (the Swiftboat Vets For Truth) never served with John Kerry. This is not so much dishonest as it is just plain stupid, and relies on an insultingly condescending assumption of the inability of the American public to know what it means to "serve with" someone in a military unit. And the reporters who repeat this know it is nonsense. I say this because I cannot believe the likes of Andrea Mitchell are that stupid.

Quote:
Michel Martin will anchor tonight. Will we answer people's questions about this? That's certainly our intention. Will we bring back civility to this debate, or any other? I'm not that naïve.

And what kind of civility did the media and John Kerry show us thirty years ago? This smug ABC shill should be glad it is still as civil as it is.

At least it will get me to watch ABC again for one night.
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, d19thdoc! Great to see you back!

I will NOT watch Nightline. I'll have to hear it second-hand because my gag reflex is JUST not that strong. Wink
minnie presley
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 12:37 am    Post subject: oreilly Reply with quote

just watched oreilly interview gardner, he was so rude and angry to gardner, kept interrupting, and said gardner was the only one who served with kerry, I was so mad I sent off an e-mail to oreilly, guess we know who he is backing certainly not the vets
GoophyDog
PO1

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: oreilly Reply with quote

minnie presley wrote:
just watched oreilly interview gardner, he was so rude and angry to gardner, kept interrupting, and said gardner was the only one who served with kerry, I was so mad I sent off an e-mail to oreilly, guess we know who he is backing certainly not the vets

O'Reilly is usually vitriolic to most of his guests. That he chose to be rude to Gardner simply bolsters his claim to a "no spin" zone. Personally, I prefer him that way - being rude to all equally than the utter unrestrained bias shown on other news channels.

It is the accomplishment of getting Gardner on the show that should be noted. That sort of recognition will help and since ONeil followed, the exposure was that much better.

Kudos to Fox for at least giving them a chance - something the other major networks has not done to date.
MiltonThrasher
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 11:48 am    Post subject: Nightline for 8/9/2004 was softball pablum - no specifics Reply with quote

Re: Nightline for 8/9/2004 -
At no time were any of the specifics of Kerry's actions in question
discussed. When Unfit for Command Chapter 3 which has the
events that make the case against Kerry are out there, we may be
able to get the commentators to delve into the actual claims of
exaggerationo and fraud but don't count on it.

John O'Neil will be on Joe Scarborough's MSNBC program tonight 10:30 EST. I hope he can steer the conversation to the examples such as
Kerry's selfcontradiction as to where he was on Christmas Eve and
Christmas Day 1968. I think that is one topic that has been in
the media and shows to the average person who has no dog in this
fight just how devious John Kerry is and will be if elected. He
will make Slick Willy look straight!
in his books and speeches. Vote for Bush/Cheney '04. Korean War vet.
dmroyer
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Night line made a mistake and had an honest reporter from the Christian Science Monitor (I Believe) she answered one of the central questions in a concise and accurate manner, Why are we talking about Viet Nam, a war that was over 30 years ago? Her reply, “because John Kerry has made it the central issue of his campaign and has implied that he has a better character than President Bush because he had served”. They didn’t let her say much after that, the truth really hurts.

Other than this highllight it was pretty much what you would expect from the main line media, one sided.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: