SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Submitting yourself for a medal?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WoodyTX
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 6:25 am    Post subject: Submitting yourself for a medal? Reply with quote

Okay I was just an enlisted man, but I was an educated one. And I'm not too sure about how this works. Only an officer can submit an individual for a medal, correct? And I thought that only another officer of superior rank could submit an officer for a medal....

So what's this I hear about Kerry submitting his own name for a medal? Is this legal? Is it ethical?

I know the military presumes a certain amount of integrity in its officers, but isn't this a bit much?

Thanks for any replies,

WoodyTX
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's certainly a possibility.

There's no way of knowing for sure, because Kerry won't release his records.

But, there is certainly something rotten in Denmark with two of his PH's and one of his stars.

See the letter that John O'Neill sent in support of the one-minute ad to all of the television stations. It's on the main page under press releases. Click on the ship at the top left to go to the main page/index.
4moreyears
Former Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe the motto needs to be revised...

"An Officer and a Gentleman...and a Scoundrel"
Grampa
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Submitting yourself for a medal? Reply with quote

WoodyTX wrote:
Okay I was just an enlisted man, but I was an educated one. And I'm not too sure about how this works. Only an officer can submit an individual for a medal, correct? And I thought that only another officer of superior rank could submit an officer for a medal....

So what's this I hear about Kerry submitting his own name for a medal? Is this legal? Is it ethical?

I know the military presumes a certain amount of integrity in its officers, but isn't this a bit much?

Thanks for any replies,

WoodyTX

Actually anyone can submit anyone else for an award. BUT, the submitter is certainly given more weight based on rank the farther the award goes up the COC. This is seen when someone gets a Silver Star for an action when another action of equal or greater action could get a DSC or MOH.

At Fort Drum the Provost Marshall Office (Army police station) is named for a Vietnam era Army MP serviceman who was KIA. The citation for the MPs postumous Bronze Star reads like and even BETTER than some I've seen used for the award of a MOH. Go figure.
jalexson
PO3

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Submitting yourself for a medal? Reply with quote

WoodyTX wrote:

Thanks for any replies,

WoodyTX

I suspect what happened was that Kerry submitted his crew for medals including a few bronze stars which made him look good. Someone up the line might then have added Kerry's name to the recommendation list for a higher medal than the enlisted men received.

Apparently no one bothered to investigate to determine that Kerry didn't face a numerically superior enemy force and the two man landing party he led was against a single VC.
"That awful power, the public opinion of a nation, is created in America by a horde of ignorant, self-complacent simpletons who failed at ditching and shoe making and fetched up in journalism on their way to the poor house."
-- Mark Twain
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: