SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

From DittyBop to SAC trained killer to Air Commando

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jccooper
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 9:49 pm    Post subject: From DittyBop to SAC trained killer to Air Commando Reply with quote

I was bounced around so danged much during my 8 years in the USAF that I don't really know which of my military conquests to brag about. So, I'll just introduce myself.

I started out after basic as a DittyBop in (of all places) Peshawar Pakistan attached to an OSI unit of the CIA (6937th I believe). touched down stateside for awhile at a SAC base in Altus Okla, froze my butt off at Ernest Harmon in Newfoundland for a year (closed it down), landed at Warner Robbins Georgia for 6 months and tagged for TDY in Manchester NH, Grenier Field reconfiguring Gooney Birds for Viet Nam. Back to Robbins for 3 months and then shipped out to the big show. Set down at a place that I have no idea where it was, or what it was other than the fact it was a "Flight" (3 A4Ds I think) of the 56th Air Commando Wing. I was there one night and the whole outfit moved to NKP in Thailand. We flew search and destroy A-26s and flare kickin C-119s and 124s I think up and down the trail in Laos. My job was to keep "really accurate records of truck kills and secondary explosions and KIA". Really accurate records was the operative order. Really accurate, like an 8 for a 3 and 4 for a 2 and so on.

Anyhow, I started peeing stateside water again about June 1968. I don't care much for the federal government and am more of a states righter type, fiercely independent type. I got told what to do enough in the military.
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to have you with us - welcome aboard! Smile
DrEntropy
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jccooper wrote:
Quote:
I was there one night and the whole outfit moved to NKP in Thailand.

How 'bout that bus ride to town?!?

"The flames kindled on the fourth of July, seventeen hundred and seventy six, have spread over too much of the globe to be extinguished by the feeble engines of despotism." -- Thomas Jefferson
jccooper
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That bus ride to town? Well, if you are talking about the one at NKP, someday I'll tell you about the night I snuk offbase by taking that ride on top of the bus.
DrEntropy
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jccooper wrote:
Quote:
if you are talking about the one at NKP

Yup-yup, that'd be th' one!

"The flames kindled on the fourth of July, seventeen hundred and seventy six, have spread over too much of the globe to be extinguished by the feeble engines of despotism." -- Thomas Jefferson
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: