SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Vets & ACDU Only - Muster Here
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 45, 46, 47  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TxSkyCop
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a retired USAFR Security Forces Capt.

I did 5 years of AD, 15.5 yrs reserve duty; 8 yrs enlisted, 12.5 yrs officer. I started in the Army, serving in Airborne and Mech Infantry units, then went to the AF.
dafrog
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 3:40 pm    Post subject: checking in... Reply with quote

I joined this site a few days ago, I feel very comfortable amoungst a bunch of vets and those who understand who we are. Please forgive my lack of computer skills. I was 16 when I first joined the Army, I had been working on the "Yankee Clipper" now part of Windjammer Cruises in Miami, It seems that I was too young to work there too, so the day Cpt. Burke fired me I went to the recruiting station in Coral Gables Fl. and signed up( 1964). I remember sitting in a chair while the Sgt. was making a call to verify my date of birth. I had added two years to 1947 and figgered that he would just tell me to get out. I guess that he was tring to save some money on a long distance call or that he was having a hard time filling his quota. Basic training in Ft. Jackson SC, 8 weeks in a tent. AIT, 52 week school in Ft. Bliss TX. Radar and Missile repair. On my way to Korea, the first formation in Oakland Army Terminal they call my name, It seems that In order to serve on the missile site I needed an upgrade of my security clearance, I got a minority discharge (age 17) . A few months later, after turning 18 I rejoin, this time I put in for E.O.D. School. My first duty station is in Minneaoplis MN. I went TDY to Chicago for the 1968 Dem convention, there I saw who really showed up for the riots, trust me, most of these kids were not protesting the war, they were there because it was a "happening". The oraganizers, wearing thier wing-tip shoes and and ratty clothes didn't miss a pay check from wherever they came from. I had the honor to work with the Secret Service, we were assigned to Mc Carthy and Mc Govern. Pee-air Salenger (sp) even gave me a $3 tip thinking I was a delivery boy, anyway, seeing all these folks upset with Viet-Nam, I asked to go. Two weeks later, off I go, to Germany. 8 months later I finally leave Augsberg. I get to R.V.N. in September of 1969. I get sent to the 59th E.O.D. Detatchment in Quang tri, 6 months there then down to the 25th E.O.D. Detatchment in An Khe. Tour over, I go to Ft. Gordon GA, My replacement at the 25th beat me back to the states, SP5 Prange got his foot blown off in an old French mine field. This time my request to go back to Nam takes less than one week, back to the 25th. I would of had three tours if my wife hadn't given me a choice. Back in the states I get stationed in Ft. Hood (47th E.O.D.). The Nam sort of spoils you so I got out of E.O.D. Off overseas we go again, this time to Okinawa, three years with wife and three kids. You couldn't pay for a better vacation. Coming thru California in 70 and 71, I met up with the "War Protesters", you don't forget getting spit on. I could never understand these guys, they had been thru the same stuff I had. I could see if they were mad at our government, but they were sh**ing on me. I volenteered for everything I got into in the military but the draftees had no choice, these VVAW really had thier heads up thier asses. They still do as for as Im concerned. One more tidbit befor I end this, we in E.O.D. had what was called a quit slip, if we signed it we were out of E.O.D. and if we were in R.V.N. back to the states ASAP, we also had travel orders in our pocket at all times (class A). This meant that if we were to lose our nerve or whatever we could cut and run. To my knowlage not one, anywhere in country ever used this authority to get back to the world, several of my "buds" did make it back early, the hard way... Looking at the length of this, I can see how one of the web guys does some of his red writing. ... Mike Tompkins, South Fla just checkin in..
gommerer
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey guys. six yrs USMC,68 -71 then after two yrs out retreaded for two more. 74 - 76. now living in seattle's most liberal neighborhoodm (and very up scale) where on those appropate days fourth of july, flag day etc there ore only four flags flying within a 30- that's right 30 ( i have a big dog and we take long walks. there are however several hundred, not exacturating Kerry/no war etc. posters . It's pathetic
C_Berry
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Name is Chuck Berry. While not as senior as most of the folks here, I served as a Naval Aviator from 88 to 95. Flew A-6E Intruders with VA-155 and VA-145 (out of NAS Whidbey Island, deployed with USS Ranger) from 91 - 93 and was an instructor with VT-21 (NAS Kingsville) from 93 - 95. Live in Houston - love it! I applaud all the Swift Vets for their service and courage, particularly in subjecting themselves to the mindless assaults to come. Keep your knots up - speed is life!
sejanus
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 9:07 pm    Post subject: Happy to be part of this effort to stop Kerry Reply with quote

My name is Jay Latona

I served with the U.S. Air Force in Taiwan, Northern Thailand, and the Philippines from 1964 to 1968.

I gathered gathered electronic intelligence as a Chinese translator for the U.S. Security Service in those countries mentioned. Those who were directly in the line of fire have my deepest respect and admiration.
Zoomie
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to come aboard! Very Happy

USAF 1995-2001
Honorable Discharge

I worked electronic warfare systems on C-130, C-141, & U2 aircraft. I was stationed in Germany, CONUS, and Korea.
TalkMilitary
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,
First, I am not a Vietnam Vet. I served in the 80's under President Reagan. My service included serveral years in the 2d ACR in Germany, then in the Berlin Brigade 6/502d Infantry. I left Berlin 11 days before the Wall came down.

I would also like to express my sincere thanks to ALL vets and their families.
Regards.
Glenn

www.vnvets.com Discussion for Vietnam Veterans
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
tpenn
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys are great. I am retired army. I was not in Viet Nam however I do have two combat tours under my belt. I retired as a SFC and served in the Gulf and in Bosnia as a Platoon Sergeant for a Tac Air Traffic Control Platoon. It is refreshing to have veterans standing up for the rights we all served to protect. John Kerry is not fit to serve as our CINC. He can't even make up his mind today if he was or was not in Cambodia. Oh, that's right, he was at least close.
Thanks for everyones service and thanks for this web site.
tpenn
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys are great. I am retired army. I was not in Viet Nam however I do have two combat tours under my belt. I retired as a SFC and served in the Gulf and in Bosnia as a Platoon Sergeant for a Tac Air Traffic Control Platoon. It is refreshing to have veterans standing up for the rights we all served to protect. John Kerry is not fit to serve as our CINC. He can't even make up his mind today if he was or was not in Cambodia. Oh, that's right, he was at least close.
Thanks for everyones service and thanks for this web site.
John David
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

26 Years Air Force. 1971-1998 (Lottery #18 right out of HS)
Orders cut for Nam in fall "72" but red-lined because war was ending around "73" (Guess I was one of the lucky ones) Never got to go but enormous respect for those who did. Lost a few friends who got shipped over in the rocket attacks and a couple of 141's going down. Ended up fighting the beast of the north as a Sky Cop in Grand Forks in the "80's" Finished up in Special Ops. Now guarding TMI in PA against bastards who would try something.
Pandora
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 12:05 am    Post subject: To Justine Reply with quote

I have numerous reasons for not supporting John Kerry that go beyond what he did or did not do in Vietnam. Should I support him merely because he served? I'm still wondering about the Democratic party, where was their support of Senator Bob Dole when he was running against Bill Clinton? Question
Pandora
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 12:14 am    Post subject: Glad to have found this forum.... Reply with quote

I was in the Army from 1978-1986. Spent most of it in West Germany. I came to this site to read first-hand what the Swift Boat people were saying, rather than listen to what the media said they said. I also wanted to gain some insight into what the motivations of the group are, as I'll admit I am sometimes a little confused.

I did not expect there to be a forum here at all...and was delighted to see one. I am finding the postings very interesting reading. Smile
donbon
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was US Army Jan 66 thru Jun 69. MOS 1542 (I think, been a while) 1lt Inf. In one of the unexplainable things that happen when you deal with the government, especially the Dep of the Army, I was kept in Basic training for one year after OCS (Benning class 55 , 1967) Then, I guess as the 6 day war happened, then the Pueblo was captured, somehow I fell through the cracks. I had orders 7 times and all seven were cancelled. It seemed the last year stateside seemed like a break and in a lot of ways it was, but every 4 days I was Next of Kin notification officer for the Baltimore area. Too many nights were spent knocking on the doors of wives, parents , children telling them that awful news. Even after 35 years I still wake up shaking, remembering the fear I felt dreading the phone ringing, telling me of a visit I had to make.
I too remember the demonstrators , the hatred of my uniform, and the resentment I felt then and now over my presence.
I am so proud of the courage that the swifties get to show a second time, and pray that they recieve their due attention.
BillyReyn
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 2:56 am    Post subject: Thanks for serving again. Reply with quote

I do not remember whether I've checked in, so to avoid being redundant this will be a bit cursory. Pertinent details are in my signature.
The Swift Vets are to be applauded by all of us for showing real courage and leadership. So why has John Kerry's treachery affected my life ?
See my post, "Long Story," of Aug 11, @ 11 PM EDT.
E-1 to E-6
llano
Seaman

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 3:21 am    Post subject: This is a great website Reply with quote

USMC '72-'75

HMH-361 and HMH-462 (USS Okinawa, USS Tripoli & USS Hancock)
Sgt. - Avionics Technician on CH-53s
Operation Eagle Pull
Operation Frequent Wind

Anyone who cannot believe the Swift Boat Veterans for Truth are
either really dumb, diehard democrats or both. I can't wait to get my book in, as chapter 3 was outstanding.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 45, 46, 47  Next
Page 20 of 47

Jump to: