SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What was the normal mode of navigation on a SWIFT Boat?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JimRobson
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 8:08 am    Post subject: What was the normal mode of navigation on a SWIFT Boat? Reply with quote

I realize that in the war the "Welcome to Cambodia" signs were probably shot to hell, but I just can't imagine that while in a river, they couldn't figure out where they were.

What was the range of the radar on a SWIFT boat? The PTF boats had about 25 miles and we relied on it for normal navigation, and otherwise we used dead reconing. (I was the radar operator and navigator on our boat and I'm not saying that I was perfect Wink)

I also realize that there were probably no marker bouy's and the charts, if any, were probably very primative, but gimme a break.

I don't buy the "maybe we were, maybe we weren't in Cambodia" on Christmas or any other time.

Maybe one of you Swifties could shed some light on the navigational norms in rivers.

http://www.thewebplace.com/
ASPB
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't go there! Laughing He was 56 miles from the border in Sa Dec. His own diary says so (its been reported), Brinkley says so, Zaldonis, Wasser, and Gardner have all said so.

To answer your question though, there was of course no GPS. Loran A was available but I don't recall if Swifts were so equipped. ASPBs and PBRs weren't.

The navigation was by dead reckoning...(speed - time thus distance plus compass heading), not hard to do with good charts on the songs and dhongs. I updated my DR every 12 minutes (2 tenths of an hour) in unfamiliar areas. Radar was available to assist. The charts were French and very good.

He could not have crossed the border on that river. PBRs first and secondly anchored gun barges would have stopped him up river. Sa Dec was the inland border of 13's AOR. He was 3 to 4 hours minimum from the border by Swift boat.

Even if there were covert border crossings (which there were on such rivers as the Vam Co Tay) they didn't start until about March of '69. ASPBs or PBRs would have been used there. Wink Swifts wouldn't have been used because they're too bloody loud.
ASPB

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My memory is vague on radar range but if I had to guess either 16 or 24 nautical miles. Definitely no more than 32 nautical miles.
Indianbaboon
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is from another thread, but since you're getting technical here, i'll throw it in,

if Kerry was now with 2 PBR's...y?

if it's a covert op, wont' you want to absolutely limit the number of people who knew?

at a minimum this now means that the two PBR guys, Kerry, and their respective COs know. instead of 2 boat crews and a higher up, your up to 3 boat crews and two higher ups, increasing number of peopel who know by like 7 or 8.

Also, weren't PBRs bigger than swifts? I just can't see any logical reason why you'd used a mixed group for a covert drop
ASPB

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PBRs were much smaller, faster, and quieter. For small group insertions they were the best choice. 2nd choice would have been ASPBs but I don't believe any were down near An Thoi at the time in question (January and February...for now). Lots of them were around the COSDIV 13 AOR.
Indianbaboon
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

found a webpage immediately after...
that story is just so full of holes, it's even worse now that he's tried to patch it up, it reminds me of one of those cartoons where Bugs Bunny plugs a leak with a finger and then two more sprout up, and then all of a sudden Bugs is using all his appendages his ears and his tongue and there are still leaks springing up
rbshirley
Founder

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: What was the normal mode of navigation on a SWIFT Boat? Reply with quote

JimRobson wrote:
What was the range of the radar on a SWIFT boat?
Maybe one of you Swifties could shed some light on
the navigational norms in rivers.

From the description of Swift Boat specifications:

http://pcf45.com/boat_tour/boat_spec/boatspec.html

Quote:
Decca D202 (X-band, 3cm) surface search radar.
Max range scale: 24 miles.
Utilized fixed range rings and a relative bearing presentation.
Range discrimination was 30 yards, on the 1.5 mile scale,
with a bearing accuracy of 1 degree

The limiting factor for navigation on the rivers was the width of the river
and availabity of definable land marks on the charts. Charts were excellent
and the Mekong river was perhaps one plus miles wide.

The two main factors to consider in the outrageous Christmas fairy tale are:

----- 55 miles away from the border on a broad River
----- The excellent discrimination of the radar on short ranges.

Even if kerry disregarded the restriction to stay below Sa Dec and spent
several hours headed up river at night. All the fish traps, barriers and large
vessels at the border would have been easily detected on the short range
scale of the radar.

As ASPB notes, the notion of using a Swift for covert SEAL operations into
"forbidden" Cambodia is patently absurd. About the only thing louder on
the river than a Swift Boat was the air cusion PACV. Not exactly stealthy.

Whether Christmas or January. kerry was still on PCF-44 outta CosDiv 13

Which operated inland from Cat Lo up to ONLY Sa Dec on the Mekong River

.... ....

Zaladonis, Hatch and Gardner all agree that the 44 NEVER went to Cambodia

Last edited by rbshirley on Fri Aug 13, 2004 4:04 pm; edited 3 times in total
FF1047
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 3:50 pm    Post subject: Navigation ... Reply with quote

If you expected to be able to get any air support you would have to keep pretty good idea of your location ... That would be one of the most important things the boat Captain would handle in an operation, the lives of his men would depend on it ... So either he was a rotten naviagtor, a scary thought if you were on his boat, or he is full of it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: