SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Washington Post editorial "Swift Boat Smears"
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jeff Carrington
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 9:27 pm    Post subject: Washington Post editorial "Swift Boat Smears" Reply with quote

FYI Swiftvets, a letter I sent after reading what amounts to a disgraceful editorial masquerading as an objective piece today. I was fuming after seeing that piece.

I deeply admire all you guys and urge you to keep up your campaign for truth. You will prevail.

========

To: Editor, Washington Post

re: Kerry's War and Habeas Corpus

I am now completely gobsmacked by the almost total failure of the paragons of U.S. print journalism to pursue what seem to be determinable salient facts in the John Kerry in Vietnam debate. Today's editorial in the Washington Post ("Swift Boat Smears", 8/12/04) is a truly breathtaking cop-out that beggars credulity. This is the best we can expect from the universally acclaimed and tirelessly truth-obsessed "coverup is worse than the crime" Watergate warriors? Sic transit gloria.

It's been famously said that truth is the first casualty of war. In the Kerry's War case, truth is the first prisoner. The Washington Post. . . .and most other U.S. editors as well. . . are goiing deliberately AWOL on the Kerry Vietnam story. Today it becomes crystal clear they wish very, very much that it would just--go--away.

Well, does it really matter, i.e., shouldn't we just put these "smears" (there's a carefully echoed and reverberating word for you) beneath and behind us like some vulgar and distasteful political stunt with a 48-hour half life and Move On to more meaningful national issues?

You cannot be serious. Will you for the love of Liberty reclaim your vagrant objectivity and supposed professional commitment? What could be more important, more fraught with implications especially right now, than the core qualities of basic truthfulness and courage of the man aspiring to the highest office in a time of war? I am blessed with hearty twin sons who are just now entering military age. If John Kerry is proved to have lied and/or cheated so much to accrete personal "glory" for petty political gain-- got any idea how I would feel about sending them off to serve for a hypothetical President Kerry should he beckon them during his watch? Well permit me to tell you: though I'm a former Marine who served with pride and a firm commitment to Corps and Country, I would do every single thing in my power to prevent them from going to serve under such a man. Do you doubt for a moment that the same insidious virus might infect countless other American fathers and mothers, brothers and sisters, sons and daughters? To say nothing of the attitude in the military ranks themselves. "Unfit for Command". Wake up and smell the coffee. Those are the stakes. You still think we should Move On??

Comes before us now an amazingly large and from all appearances at least, solidly honorable group of Navy Swift boat Vietnam veterans asserting extraordinarly serious charges, which if true, would almost certainly explode the question of John Kerry's inherent fitness as a candidate for the presidency. Clue to you Fourth Estate Crusaders for Truth: one of the first axioms of military command has always been, "If the troops all say there is a big problem, there is a big problem".

Sublimate your political bias for once. Stop popping chaff and trying to quash this story for all the wrong reasons. Get the hell off your butts now and just go do your damn job. Go get and vet the obviously withheld records and come back with something that at least faintly resembles true investigative reporting. Show at least half the zeal and make half the noise you did seeking George Bush's dental records. Or please don't have the temerity to call yourself journalists, let alone leading journalists.

Jeff Carrington
West Simsbury, CT
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BZ's, Jeff! Welcome aboard!
FlyLow
Seaman Apprentice

Location: Texas...where many of us are NOT rich Republicans...but many of us are CONSERVATIVES!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SH!T HOT...great letter Jeff...that is what we must have more of.
tigers tamed, bars emptied, virgins converted, orgies organized.
arjr111
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent letter! But, I think they are beyond shame!

We are all "Gobsmacked" by the fact that these so-called objective news organizations have so prostituted themselves, and (hopefully) sooner or later it is going to come back and bite them in the ***!
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff...I am damn near speechless...that's one for the ages.

My profound compliments.
RocketFett
PO3

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Truly excellent letter! That is a perfect example of what is wrong in the media today. FANTASTIC piece of writing. Mind if I send that to all my media e-mail contacts? I'd say it was from you of course, but it's such a great letter everyone in the media should get a copy of it. Smile
ASPB
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Jeff doesn't mind; steal it, personalize it, and hammer the MSM media with it! Good writers that don't mind being plagiarized are hard to find...

Sound familiar? Laughing
pmc3rcc
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 6:11 am    Post subject: Jeff Carrington's letter Reply with quote

All I can say is wow.That letters states exactly how most of us feel .A letter writing campain to all media that are tring their best to supress the truth about kerry,should reflect the same quality writing.
Hold all media accountable,If you see or hear an untruth dont let it slide EMAIL them.let them know .When they figure out they are fooling noone and it goes to their credibility and enough people let them know.Maybe the slant wont be at such an angle.
Jeff Carrington
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 4:34 pm    Post subject: Fire Away Reply with quote

Sincere thanks for the feedback. I have become a true fan of the Swiftvets for Truth and your mission so it makes me happy that any of you find my letter worthwhile.

On the question of using any/all of the letter I wrote to the Post, the answer is by all means go for it if you think it is useful. You need not stick with the formality of attributing to me unless you want to, i.e., put it in your own text or however it may work best. On the other hand if you run across someone who wants to tackle the original author, just send them my way, that will be fine.

Unfortunately I don't have any good media contacts so if there are some of you that do. . . .by all means fire away.
Scott

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a thread with a link to find newspaper contact information (gleaned from the Bush campaign site) and a thread that lists all sorts of contact info (gleaned from DU, of all places Twisted Evil ).

Try the search function at the top of the page to locate them.
Dabba55
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 4:49 pm    Post subject: Help Reply with quote

I am trying to send Jeff Carrington info re media contacts but it's just sitting there in my Outbox...It doesn't indicate "Sent"...

Cany anyone advise me here?
Scott

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait for it. Messages don't always get picked up and sent immediately.

If it takes a really long time, then try re-sending.
Dabba55
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah...I've got one sitting there from days ago as well.
Scott

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could always e-mail him, then...
Dabba55
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's my problem, I do not have an email address for him....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: