SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Possible Kerry Vietnam Service Medal Scandal

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Resources & Research
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BL
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 10:39 am    Post subject: Possible Kerry Vietnam Service Medal Scandal Reply with quote

OK folks here is the scoop,

Doing some research into Kerry's records, I noticed a correction was issued to John Kerry's DD214 (Discharge Form) on 03/12/2001. It is in the form of a DD215. If that isn't weird enough (personally never heard of anyone waiting that many years to get their DD214 edited/updated.), the DD215 recommends the following changes be made to the 214:

Delete: Vietnam Service Medal
Add: Vietnam Service Medal with 4 Bronze Stars

Now I don't know about you, but this seemed a litte fishy to me seeing how the 215 was done so recently (we are talking roughly 31 years and 11 days), so I checked his Vietnam service medal documentation and something does not add up. The documentation cites the awarded date of the Vietnam Service Medal and then has the supplemental for the stars for the medal, here is the interesting part and I hope you are still with me. The supplemental only authorizes two stars and I quote:

Quote:

"1. In accordance with the provisions of reference (a), it is hereby certified that you are eligible for the Vietnam Service medal with __02__ stars."

Now, that is the only other page in this vietnam service medal section for his currently released records, so he is either hiding something or giving himself two extra stars. Maybe the DD215 authorizee (Dena M. Martin) can fill us in or maybe Mr. Kerry can inform us why he appears to have two extra stars for his Vietnam Service Medal. Interesting none the less.
JN173
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Possible Kerry Vietnam Service Medal Scandal Reply with quote

BL wrote:

If that isn't weird enough (personally never heard of anyone waiting that many years to get their DD214 edited/updated.), .

You'd really think I'm weird! I waited 38 years to have my DD214 updated w/ a DD215. Embarassed

What's really strange with my records is although they sent me a PH medal there were no accompaning orders or citation and it didn't show on the 215 Rolling Eyes (Hell, they sent me 2 medals because they mispelled my last name on the first one!)

I just filed a Form 180 to get all of my records a see if I can figure things out Confused
The bandit
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should follow the honorable Sen. Kerry's lead and do the same thing.

I should demand at least 10 Silver Star's that under Kerry Rules I am justified to claim. Then I should order a truck load of Bronze Stars that I am clearly entitled to under Kerry Rules. Wonder if all them scratches from them wait-a-minute vines qualify me for a few dozen PH's under Kerry Rules and a few fragments from this-and-that?
JN173
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bandit wrote:
I should follow the honorable Sen. Kerry's lead and do the same thing.

I should demand at least 10 Silver Star's that under Kerry Rules I am justified to claim. Then I should order a truck load of Bronze Stars that I am clearly entitled to under Kerry Rules. Wonder if all them scratches from them wait-a-minute vines qualify me for a few dozen PH's under Kerry Rules and a few fragments from this-and-that?

Do leech bite count?
BL
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So it is a rather common occurance for the DOD to give you 2 extra stars without the accompanying documentation?

Why would Mr. Kerry not have the papers authorizing the extra two starts as he has all other paperwork associated with his Vietnam Service Medal. All the more reason for him to sign the SF180, to make sure this is legit and he did not earn two stars just because.

I don't think youre weird, though waiting 35 years certainly does sound odd as well. Wink
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bronze stars on the VSM signify campaigns you were in. At least, thats what they meant in the Army. I fail to see how he could have been in four campaigns in the scant 4 months he was there. Even 2 is stretching it, as far as I'm concerned.
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went and double checked to make sure I was correct. Laughing

There were a total of 17 campaign stars authorized. If you qualified for 5 stars, you wore a silver star on the VSM. The authorized periods for campaigns are;

1. Vietnam Advisory Campaign (15 March 1962- 7 March 1965)
2. Vietnam Defense Campaign (8 March-24 December 1965)
3. Vietnamese Counteroffensive (25 December 1965- 30 June 1966)
4. Vietnamese Counteroffensive (1 July 1966-31 May 1967) Phase II
5. Vietnamese Counteroffensive (1 June 1967-29 January 1968) Phase III
6. Tet Counteroffensive (30 January-l April 1968)
7. Vietnamese Counteroffensive (2 April-30 June 1968) Phase IV
8. Vietnamese Counteroffensive (1 July-l November 1969) Phase V
9. Vietnamese Counteroffensive (2 November 1968- 22 February 1969) Phase VI
10. Tet 69/Counteroffensive (23 February-8 June 1969)
11. Vietnam Summer-Fall 1969 (9 June-31 October 1969)
12. Vietnam Winter-Spring 1970 (1 November 1969-30 April 1970)
13. Sanctuary Counteroffensive (1 May-30 June 1970)
14. Vietnamese Counteroffensive (l July 1970-30 June1971) Phase VII
15. Consolidation I (1 Jul 1971 - 30 Nov 1971)
16. Consolidation II (1 Dec 1971 - 29 Mar 1972)
17. Vietnam Ceasefire Campaign (30 Mar 1972 - 28 Jan 1973)

If he claims 4 now, I'd like to know how.
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He has three trips into enemy waters which qualified for the Vietnam Service Medal. (6 days, 8 days and 32 days, if I'm not mistaken)

If each one counts as a separate entitlement to a ribbon, then he is indeed entitled to wear the VSM ribbon with the three tiny bronze accessories, indicating four qualifications.

I don't think I've ever heard of it done quite that way, before, but maybe it's perfectly "legal" and appropriate.

I always thought that a WESTPAC during the specified time frames counted as one award.

Hell, some of those ships zig-zagged in and out of enemy waters enough that they'd have nothing but VSM's with gold stars all over them! Wink
BL
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the answer to the question
http://www.history.navy.mil/medals/vsn.htm

Lew Waters seems to be right on the money concerning the stars, from the website above, and I quote:

Quote:

There are a total of 17 campaign stars authorized for the Vietnam Service Medal. Personnel are authorized one bronze campaign star for each qualifying campaign with a silver star worn in lieu of five bronze stars.

So that means JFK did four of the campaigns, I am fine with that if that is the case, the only thing I ask is where is the documentation for two of the campaigns and why did it take 31 years to accomplish. SF180 is needed to untangle the crooked web Mr. Kerry has weaved.

So bottom line is, we have to go through his record to see exactly what campaigns he was a part of. The website above lays the longitude and latitude of what constituted vietnam

Quote:

The armed forces' Vietnam Service Medal (at left in photo) was established by Executive Order 11231 from President Johnson's desk on 8 July 1965.

The distinctive design was the creation of sculptor Thomas Hudson Jones, a former employee of the Army's Institute of Heraldry.

The service medal was awarded to all members of the armed forces who service in Vietnam and contiguous waters and airspace between 3 July 1965 and 28 March 1973.

In addition, personnel serving in Thailand, Laos or Cambodia in direct support of operations in Vietnam during the same time period also were eligible for the medal.

To qualify for award of the VSM an individual must meet one of the following qualifications:

(1) Be attached to or regularly serve for 1 or more days with an organization participating in or directly supporting military operations.

(2) Be attached to or regularly serve for 1 or more days aboard a Naval vessel directly supporting military operations.

(3) Actually participate as a crewmember in one or more aerial flights into airspace above Vietnam and contiguous waters directly supporting military operations.

(4) Serve on temporary duty for 30 consecutive days or 60 nonconsecutive days in Vietnam or contiguous areas, except that time limit may be waived for personnel participating in actual combat operations.

Individuals qualified for the Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal for reason of service in Vietnam between I July 1958 and 3 July 1965 (inclusive) shall remain qualified for that medal. Upon request, any such individual may be awarded the VSM instead of the Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal. No person will be entitled to both awards for Vietnam service.

Vietnam and contiguous waters, as used herein, is defined as an area which includes Vietnam and the water adjacent thereto within the following specified limits: From a point on the East Coast of Vietnam at the juncture of Vietnam with China southeastward to 21 N. Latitude, 108° 15'E. Longitude; thence, southward to 18° N. Latitude, 108° 15'E. Longitude; thence southeastward to 17° 30'N. Latitude, 111° E. Longitude; thence southward to 11° N. Latitude; 111° E. Longitude, thence southwestward to 7° N. Latitude, 105° E. Longitude; thence westward to 7° N. Latitude, 103° E. longitude, thence northward to 9° 30'N. Latitude, 103° E. Longitude, thence northeastward to 10° 15'N. Latitude, 104° 27'E. Longitude, thence northward to a point on the West Coast of Vietnam at the juncture of Vietnam with Cambodia.

There are a total of 17 campaign stars authorized for the Vietnam Service Medal. Personnel are authorized one bronze campaign star for each qualifying campaign with a silver star worn in lieu of five bronze stars.

The design of the medal's suspension ribbon reflects that of the flag of the former South Vietnam -- yellow with three red stripes. The green trim at the edges is suggestive of the jungle nature of the conflict.
BL
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Considering John Kerry's Timeframe, these are possibly the only two he could have earned:

I don't believe he was in theatre for anything else, he got to Vietnam 17 November 1968, at CAH RANH BAY. He was gone by 19-20 March 1969, that is his Vietnam Service, anything before or after that should not count for a bronze star.

So, the question remains, where did he get two extra bronze stars, he would not have been within the area required to obtain them, would he have been?
DADESID
Seaman

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BL wrote:
Considering John Kerry's Timeframe, these are possibly the only two he could have earned:

I don't believe he was in theatre for anything else, he got to Vietnam 17 November 1968, at CAH RANH BAY. He was gone by 19-20 March 1969, that is his Vietnam Service, anything before or after that should not count for a bronze star.

So, the question remains, where did he get two extra bronze stars, he would not have been within the area required to obtain them, would he have been?

They would have been from Gridley's deployment earlier, in Spring of '68.

That would be campaign numbers 6 and 7, I believe.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Resources & Research All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: