SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Where were you on Sept 11 2001?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RGScott
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was a cab driver at the time, and waiting at the car wash watching the news. When the first plane hit most of us thought it was an accident. When the second hit we knew it was deliberate. We also knew we were at war.
KTDIXON
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember what I was doing, but I don't have the vocabulary to explain it and the rage that followed. All I can saw is that I swore in on 28 AUG 01. Most of the lower enlisted people I currently serve with, swore in on or around 11 Sept 04. I loved this country before those planes hit those biuldings.
B-57BummerJohn
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a Locomotive Engineer by trade. That a.m. I was at work running the engine for one of several "Yard " jobs at my home terminal. Some guys who also wear walk man style radios started using the Com radio to tell of the news. A few mins. later the yardmaster called all jobs and told us to park the engines and come in to the main office.

The management had set up a tv and we were allowed to watch the coverage for a while before returning to work. The reasoning being for safety sake that we would concentrate on our work at hand.

We don't have very many "small" railroad accidents and the safety of our crews is paramount.

As everywhere else that has a large employee base, many of my co-workers are vets. The emotions ran very high that day. I cannot imagine what the President went through when he was informed of the attack.

Can any of you find a sane reason why J F'n K would have the gall to insinuate that the President didn't respond quick enough.

That J F'n k would try to gain political leverage from the fact that Mr. Bush stayed a few extra moments with the 1st graders so as not to alarm or scare them is without doubt one of the lamest attempts to gain favor that I have ever heard.

I would love to hear the explanation of what he would have done in the same situation.

I bet it would go something like this:

" Well kids, the United States of America has just been attacked."

Thousands of Americans just like you have been murdered by terrorist nut cases.

Don't worry though, we will just give them everything they want and maybe they wont do this again.

" Gotta run."

( Aside )You damn security people are always in the way.

Where's the nearest shelter?

Does Teddy know about this?

Call the Surgeon General. I stubbed my toe getting in the armor plated limo.

That ought to be good enough to get the C.M.H. Ya, think?
FF1047
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 2:44 am    Post subject: 9/11 ... Reply with quote

I remember coming out of the subway at Grand Central Station (42nd street NYC) and seeing a very large black plume of smoke from the downtown area. By the time I reached my office everyone was in our kitchen watching the tv broadcast. I can truthfully say that we were all stunned as we watched the second plane blast into the south tower. I work in the financial software business and had many friends who worked in the Twin Towers. Most of us immeditaely went to our offices and tried to get ahold of friends that worked downtown. After several minutes my wife (to be) called me and said, "the tower just fell down, come home now". I have some training as a structural engineer and I had assumed that if the building survived the initial hit it would just burn, not collapse.
I immediately went into the kitchen area and suggested to everyone that they go home immediately. (We were 1 block from Grand Central Station and not sure it wasn't on the target list).
In a peverse way I count myself lucky that only two friends didn't make it out of the towers, I had several dozen working in the towers.
Rest in peace Scott Saber and Kit Farrager, my prayers are with you.
baldeagl
PO3

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

B-57Bummer John, Kerry has said what he would do. He was quoted as saying that he and others were in their office watching TV when the news came on about the first tower being hit. They sat there "stunned" and "not knowing what to do" when the 2nd plane hit. That means that Kerry sat doing nothing for at least 45 minutes!

And he thinks Bush is slow to react.....
Scott
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When the first plane hit the tower on 9/11 I was driving to work in Newton, MA and heard it on the radio.

A radio in the office was tuned to a local news station for the rest of the morning, and we heard about the second plane, and the collapse of the first tower.

Then my phone rang. It was my wife; she told me "The other tower has collapsed." At first, I couldn't accept it. I said, "We heard about the tower coming down...".

She interrupted "No, they've both collapsed now."

I don't remember what I said to that; I hung up and walked out into the common room (where a conference with the company CEO was in progress). I announced that both of the World Trade Center towers had collapsed.

And then it got weird. The CEO said, "What does that mean?"

I replied, "It means, we're at war."

He didn't believe me. I don't remember what he said, but it made me say,"Just over 2,000 military personnel died on December 7, 1941. The United States declared war the next day. Now, according to the reports we're getting, as many as 5,000 civilians may be dead. What do you think this means?"

The saddest thing is, we hadn't even heard about the Pentagon yet.

To this day, I still meet people like the head of that company; they still don't have a clue that, whether we like it or not, we're at war.

As long as I live, I'll never forget any of that.
skygod325
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I currently work as an emergency nurse on the night shift in our local hospital. I came home as usual and kissed the wife and went to bed. My wife woke me up after the first plane hit. She was visibly scared and told me to come watch the TV. I watched and she mentioned what a horrible accident it was. I told my wife this is no accident and that we are under attack since a pilot would never endanger his/her passengers. Almost immediately the second plane hit. I was shocked and dumbfounded (much longer than seven minutes!) After we heard about the pentagon I became very angry and wanted pay back.
I went to work at the usual time and found out one of my fellow nurses Carol Flyzk was on the plane that hit tower one. She left the emergency room a couple of months before to work for a healthcare software company and was flying from Boston to LA that horrible day. Carol was one of the most compasionate persons that I have ever met. When I found out she was a victim it got very personnel with me and the following day I went to the army recruting office (served 4 years in the 82nd abn infantry..please dont ask how a I went from infantry to nursing...long story!) and this snot nosed buck sgt. said I was too old (37)).
All I can really do now is support our soldiers in any way shape or form. Since the years have passed I am disgusted on how some of my fellow citizens have been reacting lately. Where is the outrage? Where is the "Give em hell" attitiude? I have come to the realization that some of our fellow citizens are just apathetic and deplorable.
A.R. Peter LaFond
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was in my office at home working on my Real Estate Business, and watching FOX News. Fox did their FoxElert thing which got my attention. Fox cut to the Towers, one of which was on fire on the upper floors. The talking heads were speculating that a small general aviation a/c might have crashed into that tower. Seconds later, I saw an airliner come across the sky, go behind the other tower, and crash into it. I didn't believe my eyes, but knew at that moment that we were under attack. This was no accident.

Pride Runs Deep!
Retired Senior Chief Radioman. Served in the United States Submarine Force for 23 years, from September 1960 to May 1983. Thank you SwiftVets for exposing John Kerry for the dispicable human that he is.
RStauch
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 2:54 pm    Post subject: Where was I? Reply with quote

No drama here, but I was getting ready for work (in So. Cal., at the time) when my wife pointed out that Fox News Channel was reporting that one of the WTC towers was on fire, and a plane had struck it. I came over to look, and when I first saw it I knew that was no accident. I heard them talking about how a plane could go off course and run into a building, but I knew in my heart this was no accident.

Then the second plane hit. As I sat eating breakfast, I remember the sick feeling of knowing I was watching a "snuff flick." People had just been murdered before my eyes. The helplessness and anger I felt cannot be expressed.

The sooner we recognize that our enemies have declared war on us, and that we must win it, the better off we will all be.

Kerry is yet to realize that he is on the wrong side of this. He wants to pretend he is prepared to be President, but he is so clueless he doesn't even know it. Now, after Charley has devasted so many here in SW Florida, Kerry is faulting President Bush for comming down here three days, "so soon," after it. If he had waited 4 days, Kerry would fault him for waiting so long. I've got news for John F. Kerry -- He can stay away from here forever. We don't need his sniping and griping.
DanVCC
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is Sen. Kerry's explanation of what he was doing when
the first attacks came

KERRY: I was in the Capitol. We'd just had a meeting --
we'd just come into a leadership meeting in Tom Daschle's
office, looking out at the Capitol. And as I came in, Barbara
Boxer and Harry Reid were standing there, and we watched
the second plane come in to the building. And we shortly
thereafter sat down at the table and then we just realized
nobody could think, and then boom, right behind us, we saw
the cloud of explosion at the Pentagon. And then word came
from the White House, they were evacuating, and we were to
evacuate, and so we immediately began the evacuation.

+ + Kerry: "Nobody Could Think"

For the record, it was about 40 minutes between the when the
second tower was hit and when the Pentagon was hit. For 40
minutes, Sen. John Kerry, a sitting member of the Senate
Intelligence Committee, sat in a room with Senate Leader
Tom Daschle.

In Kerry's own words, "nobody could think."

Sen. Kerry sat in a very vulnerable place on Capitol Hill for
40 minutes after the second tower was hit. What did he mean when
he said, "nobody could think"? Perhaps the chaos and confusion
of the moment meant that a group of top leaders in the Senate
really did not know what to do! So they sat in a vulnerable
Senate office, exposed to attack. Apparently, Kerry and others
did not yet realize that America was at war.

When did Kerry know America was at war?

Again, in Sen. Kerry's own words:

And as we went out of the building, my immediate feeling
was, we're at war. I mean, that was the sense, that we are
under attack. People are attacking the United States of
America and we needed to respond.

So, more than 45 minutes after the second tower was hit, as
Sen. Kerry was evacuating the Capitol, his "immediate feeling"
was that America was "at war." In his own words, it took
Sen. Kerry 45 minutes to come to this conclusion.
duhaast
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 6:43 pm    Post subject: 9/11 Reply with quote

I live in SoCal, and got into the car to drive my daughter to high school.

I was listening to Bill Handel on KFI 640 AM. The first plane had hit and he was talking about that....a horrible accident. Then the second plane hit, and the mood changed....now an attack was evident. Then the Pentagon was hit.

At work, radios were on all day, and though work continued, not much got done....I was the first there to hear of the towers falling, and passed the word through the building.

It wasn't until after work that I got to a TV. I went to a local sports bar, and it was there that I saw the video for the first time.

I couldn't sit.....20 TVs were on...all I could do was pace back and forth muttering "fu(k" under my breath.......

I still want to go nuclear somewhere.....
skygod325
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found this on the web. So much for the religion of peace.

[url]http://www.letusreason.org/

[url]
Check out the Islam section under Wrold Religons[/url]
RStauch
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DanVCC wrote:
So, more than 45 minutes after the second tower was hit, as Sen. Kerry was evacuating the Capitol, his "immediate feeling" was that America was "at war." In his own words, it took Sen. Kerry 45 minutes to come to this conclusion.

Just two follow-up notes for those of you in Rio Linda:
1. There is nothing immediate about a 45 minute timespan, during which one cannot think, though one is sitting at target-zero.
2. This "feeling" Kerry had (that we were at war) must have died in him sometime between voting for the $87 Billion, and voting against it.

God forbid Kerry should be elected president, and we come under attack again. Kerry will have that "deer in the headlights" look for a lot longer than 45 minutes this time, because the rest of DC will be waiting for him to decide to evacuate, while he can't think. Meanwhile, Edwards will become president and the Trial Lawyers' Lobby will take over the Capitol.
sixdogteam
Seaman

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember that day in 1963, in high school, between fifth and sixth periods, in the hallway, when a girl I didn't know passed me and told me JFK had been shot, and I knew by her expression she wasn't kidding and I didn't cry and my thoughts were, we're in for it now if he dies with LBJ as president... I remember the day in 1969 when the first man walked on the moon, I was in Boot camp at Ft. Benning at Harmony Church, and there was a TV on in an orderly room and I didn't cry, and yes I remember the day in 2001 that the Towers were hit by the jets, I had just come in from the assembly lines at work into the office area, and the president of the company and a few people had a TV on in the board room and we just stood around and watched in stunned horror, but I didn't cry....I remember the day my feet touched the ground in Cam Rahn Bay as a FNG, I was not crying but the day I put my feet down in Tampa from Ft. Lewis as a civilian, I cried...and I'll weep for America the day (God Forbid) John Fonda Kerry becomes president.
B-57BummerJohn
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bald Eagle!
Yes, I have seen the narrative by JF'n K. This is a guy who blindly attacks the president for his stance on every subject.

Like I mentioned before, How can he have the gall to attack the president with such phoney garbage when is own records are being laid bare?

Do we want a leader that is so out of touch and self serving that he blindly makes accusations without considering his own records?

Who is writing the script for this guy? We all already know who shot his
"War hero footage"

I am 100% behind the Swiftvets. Kerry is an absolute ticket punching phoney.
War Service aside, he has also been a miserable representative of the people.

His voting record on Taxes, non-support of military appropriations,
and votes to gut the intellegence services are proof of his Unfit for Command status.

Throw in his abscence at all of the homeland security meetings and you get a true measure of who this pretender really is.

He can pretend all he wants.

Soon the curtain will come down. The audience will go home and he will be left standing in the puddle of Puke that he tried to make America swallow.

I stongly urge all who post here in support of the Swifties to get the word out. Let people know that Kerry, the self decorated veteran is also a miserable failure as a representative of the people.

Spread that information on his civil service failure as a representative of the people. Let those folks who's sole inspiration is the sum of their 401K's know that Kerry has always voted for higher taxes.

I am a union worker and am sorely disappointed at my union's blatent disregard for who their candidate is as a person and their support for him merely as a Democrat.

Inform the those that are afraid of more terrorist attacks that John F'n Kerry is the guy who votes to hand cuff our military and bankrupt our intelligence offices.

This is a guy (a self proclaimed Internationalist ) who wants to hand over control of the Military forces of the United States to the United Nations.

If you can inform just one person about the true character of Kerry, you have done a great service to our country.

John D. Vietnam Vet USAF. 8th & 13th Bomb Squadrons Weapons 66-67
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: