SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Honorable service

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daniel J. Hutchison
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 12:33 am    Post subject: Honorable service Reply with quote

While I feel very uncomfortable leading into my comments by listing my qualifications as a combat veteran, I can see that is this case it is very important. I joined the United States Army in October 1968 and upon completion of flight training reported, at the age of 21 in January 1970, to D Troop 1/10 Cav which was deployed to South Vietnam. For the next 12 months (365 Days) or for one tour, I flew the AH-1G Cobra attack helicopter in combat actions in the II Corps area of South Vietnam. The first four months were spent as on the job training flying combat missions in the AH-1G. The last eight months I was assigned as mission commander and AH-1G aircraft commander conducting air and limited ground combat operations. I flew over 600 hours of direct combat time in attack helicopters, working in free fire areas, limited fire areas and in support of ground units. I never had any problem with having the maturity, self control and judgment necessary to avoid involving civilians or allied units in my military action. Some of my missions were along the border and there was never any question on were the border was located even in times of bad weather. After leaving the active army in 1971, I pursed my civilian interests which included serving in both the Wyoming (1975 to 1979) and then the Idaho Army National Guard (1985 to 2004). This National Guard duty included a six month deployment to Bosnia flying the AH-64 Apache attack helicopter. My service connected disability for prostate cancer (10%) is related to my service in Vietnam; however, it is not based on any combat injury. In May of this year (2004) I retired from the Idaho Army National Guard as Brevet Chief Warrant Officer 5.

I, and many other veterans, find it hard to publicly criticize another veteran. I know that any time I find it necessary to publicly criticize another veteran, it is only after great thought and reflection that I speak out. However, as a result of our respect for each other, we have had to watch as phony wannabees loudly tout their “military experience”, and yet, diminish the courage and honor of other true veterans. All of us who have served in actual combat know, or would know if we truly reflected on our experience, that many medals were awarded to the “groupies” who avoided actual effective contact with the enemy. Yet it is these same “groupies” that for years after, mouth off about their great courage, and attempt to diminish the courage of others who have served our country. It has been my experience that the more deserving an individual is of recognition for courage, the less likely they think that they fully earned recognition or medals, and the less likely they will openly talk about themselves. The true military hero always thinks that the recognition and medals should go to someone doing more than his basic duty to defend our country. Whenever I hear someone bragging about their medals and great courage, I only hear another “groupie”, who likely held back and was the last one to be of any help in combat. We do not need to have a phony “groupie” as our next commander-in-chief. I know it is hard to speak out, but this is one time we need to; keep up the good work!

The role of the combat veteran has always been a difficult one. During troubled times our young (and not so young) are called upon to defend our great country. Most of those called step forward and serve with great honor, asking nothing more than to be treated with dignity and basic respect upon completion of their duty. However, not all answer the call with the same courage and honor that we should expect. As we know, a very few avoid their duty, endanger others, and then talk (brag) of their great courage. The loudest individuals talk of their great courage even though they avoided the actual fighting, greatly overstate their role, even make up experiences (lie), and diminish the role of the actual combat veteran. Following the conflicts the combat veteran is often declared by some as unfit to rejoin society, and the distracters or phony “groupies” claim the rewards and respect while attempting to discredit the combat veteran. As a result the combat veteran is often denied the dignity and basic respect they deserve. It has become increasingly clear that the combat veterans must speak out and air the dirty laundry of the few phony veterans that are a discredit to all who have served. In speaking out we can expect little understanding from the non-veterans in the country since they have heard the loud phony “groupies” for way too long.

The actual conduct of war is often misjudged by the altered reality following the war and the narrow focus of some individuals. For example Vietnam veterans are displayed as drugged up misfits that have accomplished little following their service and that their service was less than honorable (that does seem to fit at least one claiming combat veteran status on the national stage). In reality the combat veterans who have served with honor and dignity return to a normal life, hide their scars, and accomplish many worth while achievements. I know for myself the experiences in combat are just a small part of my life. I would no more dwell over and over on my one year (that’s twelve months) in Vietnam than I would my success in high school football, completion of college or anyone of many accomplishments in my professional life. It is sad to see anyone who lets his life stall on one increasingly self-distorted event and continues to try to define his life based on over-stated accomplishments. Some individuals may also try to focus on one short time period, or event, touting overstated accomplishments to try to continue to gain phony “groupie” status and hide from the true facts of their life, their failures, their mistakes and their lies.

Fortunately, our nation is not always at war and not all of our young need to experience the sights and sounds of combat. And even in times of war there are many duties which must be done to defend our country and support the combat troops that do not involve combat duty. The veterans who are called upon to do these tasks have my respect and I honor their service. Military service is also not limited to the uniform services. The call to duty can take many forms from military service, working in defense industries, protecting the lives and homes of those in the military, teaching school and public service in our democratic form of government. The strength of the United States Military is based upon civilian control and civilian involvement in the leadership of the military. The call to duty is not always limited to the young, as many enter public service later in life and provide vital service to the nation. Individuals should be judged by the nature of the service they have performed. Having been in Wyoming during the 1970’s, I watched as Vice President Cheney answered his call to public service and over the years he has served with honor and dignity.

National Guard duty has never been a way to dodge military service; it is military service and is the very basic responsibility of every citizen of the United States. While not every one feels the obligation, the militia has always been the backbone and strength of the United States. Under the command of the individual states, the National Guard continues to provide protection for the citizens when called upon by the Governor. When called upon by the President of the United States, the National Guard has stepped up to the call with honor and left their civilian jobs and families to defend the country. When someone joins the National Guard they make a commitment to maintain military skills and capabilities, ready to drop their civilian jobs and families and answer the call of either the Governor or the President. The National Guard is not a way of avoiding military service, as some would have us believe, but is military service that is the responsibility of all citizens. Many guard units were called upon for Vietnam just as they have been for all wars. The fact that President Johnson did not make a total call up of the National Guard was his decision and not the decision of those who had made themselves ready to answer the call. We also know that Vietnam was not the only threat facing the United States between 1960 and 1973. A look at the situation in the early 1960’s indicated that there was a real Cold War threat along our southern shores from the communists in Cuba and the USSR. Remember the Cuban missile crisis and Dominican Republic. Prior to 1965 very few citizens knew much about Vietnam, but were well aware of the threat and danger from Cuba. The Air National Guard was a vital part of the defense from the threat of the communists.

We must also remember that the National Guard is a part time reserve. The individuals serving in the National Guard give up many of their weekends, evenings, and vacation days to retain their military capabilities while also maintaining their civilian lives. The ones of us who have taken our responsibilities seriously and participated in the National Guard know that in between the essential military training and duty in response to the call of the Governor or the President, the guard members must fit in the activities that support their families and communities. Distorting National Guard service is a great disservice to the dictated citizen soldiers that have defended the United States for over two hundred years, and who form the very basic defense for the United States. President George Bush as a young Air National Guard Officer was not avoiding military service; he was in the military and would have answered the call of the President of the United States if such a requirement had been made. The fact that he, as all members of the National Guard, continued to balance jobs, school and family life into a part time military position is just the reality of service in the citizen militia. Because of the part time nature of the National Guard great effort is made by the command to accommodate the personnel needs of the soldiers to complete their civilian responsibilities to family and community within the limits of military preparedness. In my years with the National Guard frequently individuals required to be excused from the monthly drills because of their civilian responsibilities. Yet regardless of their civilian responsibilities they were subject to call up by either the Governor or the President in time of crisis.

As a pilot I have much respect for you Navy folks in the small boats. Again keep up the good work.
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome, Daniel - glad to have you with us.

Such a well-written essay!
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well written, Daniel, coming from a LOH mechanic. Laughing

If you wish to really see what manipulations of combat records is like and medal hunting, may I suggest you get ahold of a copy of Unfit for Command and see how a member of the Senate has been doing it for a long time.
NavyChief
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daniel,

Kudos on your post. Glad to see someone from my hometown speaking so eloquently!

My best friend served with you in the Idaho Guard, Robert Briggs, flying blackhawks. He still is.

Keep the message flowing back there in spudville. Too many Californians who haven't acclamated to the Idahoan mentality yet and liberal as can be need to hear the message that the SwiftVets are speaking the truth on this one. Laughing

- instigator
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: