SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The cheekiest speech I have ever heard

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hopeful
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 3:48 pm    Post subject: The cheekiest speech I have ever heard Reply with quote

This guy has some set of chestnuts. I didn't see Bush's speaech but it apparently was better received. From what I get from the commentators, Fox is going to do an audience response comparison. It sure didn't sound like there were 8, people in the hall. Maybe some of them went AWOL
Polaris
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys,

Thank goodness for Fox. By doing a poll comparison, we get some hard numbers on how the speech was really recieved. That is much more difficult to spin. The fact that Kerry was LATE (he always is) didn't help.

Truth is Beauty
You Bic?
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought the speech was rousing and well delivered but knowing his history, it was hypocritical hogwash

Evidently, lots of VFW members felt the same way as the applause was muted and there were no ovations like Bush got. I did hear some hecklers shout in the background too.
integritycounts
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kerry got Zero applause with his "back door draft" applause line.... He set it up...waited for it....nothing but crickets could be heard...then he quickly started again
hanna
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fox showed where 2 Vets in the audience stood with their backs to him the entire speech.
Curt
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
hanna
Fox showed where 2 Vets in the audience stood with their backs to him the entire speech.

Unfortunatly I missed this but I hope Fox had alot of viewers at the time they showed this. Thanks for informing me with this post.

Curt
Grampa
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard on CBS radio news that Kerrys speech was rather coldly received. They also had two comments from vets after the speech. One said somthing to the effect that they didn't like Kerry after his antiwar protest stuff. The second guy said VERY vehemently: "I don't trust Kerry. He's a LIAR!"

lol
Bostonian
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grampa wrote:
They also had two comments from vets after the speech. One said somthing to the effect that they didn't like Kerry after his antiwar protest stuff. The second guy said VERY vehemently: "I don't trust Kerry. He's a LIAR!"

Somehow, when I hear someone call a political figure a liar, it impresses me a lot more if it's a 57-year old decorated vet than if it's a twenty-something cappuccino-sipping kid.

Not to knock the kids, but they use those words more lightly and don't always know what they're saying.
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just checked the major news sources and came up with the following excerpts from their articles today on this;

Quote:
CNN: While Kerry received applause from the audience, some in the crowd signaled their displeasure with the candidate.

There was at least one heckler, and two men stood with their backs to Kerry during his speech.

"He turned his back on his comrades in Vietnam, so I turn my back on him," Jere Hill, one of the men told CNN.

Kerry, whose Navy service in Vietnam earned him several medals, angered some Vietnam veterans when he returned home to become a prominent anti-war activist. At that time, he spoke of "atrocities" committed by U.S. soldiers. More recently, he has said he regrets his choice of words.

ABC: CINCINNATI Aug. 18, 2004 — John Kerry, telling fellow combat veterans he's their "true brother in arms," said Wednesday that President Bush's plan to withdraw U.S. troops from Europe and Asia would weaken U.S. security and embolden nuclear-armed North Korea.

Some Bush supporters and a few fellow veterans have been raising questions about Kerry's military record, which has been a cornerstone of his presidential campaign….

On Monday, Bush received a commander-in-chief's welcome from the VFW in this Republican-leaning city, drawing loud cheers of support. The veterans, who tend to vote more Republican than Democratic, gave Kerry a polite welcome.

Large portions of the crowd applauded each of his many promises to protect veterans' benefits. Smaller portions vocally backed his points on Iraq and terrorism. Some veterans sat with arms folded, while others stood and clapped.

One man heckled Kerry, calling him a liar.

"I'll say it myself. He's a liar," said John Ranson of Fort Thomas, Ky., a 57-year-old Vietnam veteran who sat a few feet away from the heckler. He said Kerry had not supported U.S. troops as a senator or three decades ago as a returning Vietnam veteran who protested the war.

But there was no shortage of Kerry supporters, including some who voted for Bush in 2000…..

CBS: Kerry received a polite if not overwhelmingly positive reaction from the VFW. Large portions of the crowd applauded with each promise to protect veteran's benefits and with many points he made about Iraq and terrorism. But there was a clear divide, with scores of veterans sitting with their arms folded while others clapped. One man heckled Kerry, calling him a liar, as VFW sergeants at arms admonished him.

CBS also included, word for word; But there was no shortage of Kerry supporters, including some who voted for Bush in 2000…..

MSNBC: Made no mention of any reception, focusing primarily on Kerry ripping Bush’s plans to reduce troops overseas over the next 10 years.

Foxnews: Kerry foreign policy adviser Rand Beers said Kerry would consider moving some U.S. troops farther south on the Korean Peninsula to avoid a strike from the North. But he would not move them off the peninsula, Beers said, unless such action was part of a broader agreement with North Korea to scrap its nuclear program and reduce its conventional forces.

On Monday, Bush received a commander-in-chief's welcome from the VFW in this Republican-leaning city, drawing loud cheers of support. The veterans, who tend to vote more Republican than Democratic, gave Kerry a polite welcome.

Large portions of the crowd applauded each of his many promises to protect veterans' benefits. Smaller portions vocally backed his points on Iraq and terrorism. Some veterans sat with arms folded, while others stood and clapped.

One man heckled Kerry, calling him a liar.

"I'll say it myself. He's a liar," said John Ranson of Fort Thomas, Ky., a 57-year-old Vietnam veteran who sat a few feet away from the heckler. He said Kerry had not supported U.S. troops as a senator or three decades ago as a returning Vietnam veteran who protested the war.

But there was no shortage of Kerry supporters, including some who voted for Bush in 2000. Dale Hall, 49, of Franklin Park, Ill., said Bush has "got a mess overseas. I stand behind the troops, of course, but he's not done a good job."

Kerry tried to connect with the crowd, saying that if elected "you will have a true brother in arms" who will protect veterans' benefits and improve the nation's security.

He did not mention that Bush served stateside in the Texas Air National Guard, though Kerry's allies have accused the president of using family connections to stay out of Vietnam.

It appears all news sources must use the same reporter at times, LOL.
Scott
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like reports written around a wire service article to me.
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basically, Scott, that is what I meant. The big guys didn't attend, just reported on the same wire report, with some small variations thrown in.
Scott
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aww, and I had images of all of them gathering around the CBS reporter saying things like:

"Ok, so how do think we can fix this?"

Wink
Son Of The Godfather
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you see this on CBS, ABC, NBC, CNN?

Quote:
War veterans Jere Hill, middle, from Warham, Mass., and Robert Gibson, right, from Lexington, Ky., stand with their backs turned during Democratic presidential nominee John Kerry's speech at the 105th Veterans of Foreign Wars National Convention in Cincinnati on Wednesday, Aug. 18, 2004. Man in foreground is unidentified. Kerry received a polite if not overwhelmingly positive reaction from the VFW. But there was a clear divide, with scores of veterans sittings with their arms folded while others clapped. (AP Photo/David Kohl)

SOTG
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: