SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Independent voices rising in ads

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stealthy
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 2:47 am    Post subject: Independent voices rising in ads Reply with quote

Independent voices rising in ads
By Jim Drinkard, USA TODAY
WASHINGTON — The latest independent voice in this year's presidential campaign is that of an 83-year-old, self-made billionaire who wants to convince John Kerry and the Democrats that it's politically safe to be liberal.
John Sperling is the force — and the money — behind a quirky $2 million advertising campaign in major newspapers this month. It promotes his idea that the nation is divided into two camps, which he labels "metro" and "retro."

Retro America, marked by religious fundamentalism and militarism, is the irretrievable bastion of Republicans, in Sperling's view. The metro states are the home of racial tolerance, economic dynamism and growth, which should serve as a roadmap for Democrats to retake political power, he says.

"It seems pretty clear to me that the Democrats had better stop trying to be all things to all voters and concentrate on a base for themselves," he said in an interview.
_S_

Another anti-Kerry salvo came from Swift Boat Veterans for Truth, a group of Vietnam veterans who aired a harsh TV ad this month that calls into question whether Kerry deserved the Purple Hearts and Bronze Star medals he was awarded for his service. The $174,000 campaign in smaller cities in Wisconsin, West Virginia and Ohio was heavily funded by Texas home builder Bob Perry, a longtime Republican contributor.

_S_

Sperling is an Arizona entrepreneur and self-described "meddler" who made his fortune as founder of the University of Phoenix, a nationwide network of campuses and online courses aimed at working adults. Despite attacks from accrediting agencies and charges that it is a diploma mill, the university has grown to be the nation's largest private educational enterprise, with more than 180,000 students.

Sperling has an interest in biological research. He hired a team that tried unsuccessfully to clone his dog Missy but succeeded in cloning a cat (named CC, for Copy Cat). Sperling also has invested in research on human longevity.

He has been a significant donor to Democratic candidates and party committees over the past decade, giving about $344,000 during that time. He says he has raised about $400,000 in individual contributions for Kerry this year.

Sperling's biggest role in politics has been as an advocate for medical marijuana use and other changes in drug laws. State disclosure records show he has pumped more than $3.4 million into 21 such ballot campaigns in recent years, often in concert with Soros and Ohio insurance executive Peter Lewis.

Sperling acknowledges that his effort may be ignored by Kerry as a distraction from campaign themes. "Let's hope that it is at least as helpful as it is harmful," he said.

source

I am Sooooooooo Retro. Laughing
cipher
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm Hetero, myself.

I know, it's a quirk. I've learned to live with it.
Defense contractor for US Navy, SSPO, SP-20, SP-24, OP-12 84-92
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder why they always fail to mention that the author of "Unfit for Command," John O'Neill, is also a long time contributor to the Democratic party? I heard him say this last evening on Foxnews.
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LewWaters wrote:
I wonder why they always fail to mention that the author of "Unfit for Command," John O'Neill, is also a long time contributor to the Democratic party? I heard him say this last evening on Foxnews.

Yah, $7000 to Republicans over the last 15 years - but around $25 thousand to Democratic candidates.
4moreyears
Former Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I won't hold the $25k given to the dems against John O'Neill...he's doing his pentance for a pittance. Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: