SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kerry & Rassmann Iowa Jan. 17th Speech

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ord33
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 3:07 am    Post subject: Kerry & Rassmann Iowa Jan. 17th Speech Reply with quote

http://www.johnkerry.com/video/console.php?video=011704_reunion

(8 Min. 45 Seconds To 15:10)
Points Of Interest

1. Kerry said twice that Rassman was "living alone down there in that Pennisula with the Vietnamese" also noting that he was SF Green Beret.

2. Jim Rassmann - "We Got ambushed, one of our boats, one of John's boats was blown out of the water we went over to help it and I got blown off the boat, and I assume whatever blew me off injured your arm. And I went to the bottom because the next boats in line were about to come over me. I stayed on the bottom as long as I could and when the last boats were gone, they were gone, they were around the bend and out of sight. And I started swimming under water for as long as I could. Coming up for air when I had to, and I was getting shot at, and I figured it was up, my number was punched. And the next thing I knew after coming up for air about 5 times was the boats were coming to the rescue..."

3. Also several other references.
hanna
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks:)) Wonderful. Another to add to my list of Rasmussen versions.
producehawk
PO1

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was giving rasmun the benifit of the doubt but know I think he is a liar. Bought and paid for . Started with a little truth then got deeper and deeper into Kerry's world
Marquis
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a crock!

Can someone please tell us: What has Rassman been doing these past 35 years [edited. As was said before, we aren't here to denigrate Rassman. Question is account, but no need to attack him. Kerry is our main focus]
kmmpatriot
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone have any links to any MSM or cable folks asking Rassman about these different versions - We're not talking about different people talking here...he himself has presented multiple versions of that fateful trip, right? Am I missing something obvious? Why isn't this all over the place? Question Mad
NavyChief
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gotta say, I've lost respect for Rasputin (I mean, Rassman) Twisted Evil

I've read and seen several variations of his story and he's just trying his best to get his "pal" elected.

Gotta think about it. His own story was "I used to be a police officer from LA... just sitting there (probably downing a brewskie) and bam! there's my ole "pal" and he's running for President... Got nothin better to do than call his people and try to "stuff ballots" for him (or stuff something Rolling Eyes ) Well, of course the Dems saw a perfect opportunity and called him back and said, Hey get your fat A$$ over here to Ohio and tell your story... a little makeup and some pre prep and the tearful reunion of the guy that fell out of the boat and the guy gushing blood from his arm from a bruise (minor at that) makes history. BOOM! Instant fame and noteriety for these poor bastards.

They can't even see how badly they are being used by a guy that doesn't give a spit about them. I really wish I could give them a big hug and tell them that many people will love them for their sacrifices without backing a lying monkey Shocked oops.. I mean jackass Razz

- instigator
ArmyWife
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marquis,

Rassmann is supposedly a retired Sheriff's deputy. He grows orchids as a hobby and I heard somewhere on TV that giving presentations on orchid growing was his introduction into public speaking. He supposedly wrote Kerry one unanswered letter in the years between Vietnam and this Kerry Presidential run. He either wrote or called the Kerry campaign looking to help out, and this time, Kerry's more professional campaign staff welcomed him with open arms. I heard or read an account somewhere that said Rassman thought he might just be stuffing envelopes, and before he knew it, he was flying places for the campaign.

A lot of people think that Rassmann was simply mistaken about what happened on the river that day, and that he may never have meant to get so caught up in all of this. I can see where praise from a bunch of enthusiastic campaign people, and getting some VIP treatment at nice hotels and restaurants might cloud one's judgment.

My personal philosophy on this is that we don't have to attack Rassmann personally, but just point out that his memory is faulty. We don't want to confuse him with the enemy, and for that matter I haven't heard any claims that he has ever accused anybody of imaginary war crimes.
srmorton
PO2

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been thinking lately that what appeared to be a gift from Heaven
for Kerry (Rassmann showing up "out of the blue") was actually a set up.
I have also read somewhere that Rassmann has admitted voting for Gore
in 2000 (which tells you something right there) and that he is said to have
been anti-Iraq war and anti-Bush. Of course, I have no proof that Kerry
and company orchestrated the whole January 17 appearance, but it fits
in so well with his MO.

I have always believed that when the American people had a chance to
see Bush and Kerry side-by-side in the debates that they would never
pick Kerry as CinC. Until the Swifties first ad, I had begun to worry
a little because of the continued onslaught of anti-Bush propaganda that
is being put out by the MSM, by Hollywood, and the pro-Kerry 527s. I
can not adequately express my gratitude to the SBVTs for once again
putting the welfare of their country above their own. This fight will be
won - by the TRUTH the SBVTs are determined to reveal in the coming weeks.

Semper Fi,

Last edited by srmorton on Sat Aug 21, 2004 5:46 am; edited 1 time in total
jack white
Seaman

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

(Rassmann showing up "out of the blue")>>>>>

Do you reckon?

I don't want to trash him, but let's face it, that was too cute by half.
TripleDipper
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 5:45 am    Post subject: Kerry @ Rassmann Iwoa Jan 17th Reply with quote

After reading in this forum last evening that it took an hour and thirty minutes to prepare PCF 3 for tow, this means that Rassmann held his breath for over an hour underwater. Also, this means that Kerry's boat(or whichever boat) didn't miss him for this period of time. No wonder they keep these guys on a short leash! Never served in Vietnam but I am a Vietnam Era vet. I know that Special Forces units are highly trained but this must be a world record. The original UDT members where called "Frogmen" - so I think JIMBO should be renamed "Submarine Man". This is better than the hamster story. Someone asked what JIMBO has been during over the past 35 years other than downing a six package - I think he still has a fondnesss for chocolate chip cookies.

USN 56-88
Marquis
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orchids are truly beautiful, but what Rassman is producing now is certainly not! Thanks for the info...

What about te remaining "Kerry's Band of Brothers", any info on their activities over the past 35 years??? How is it that these guys are standing with Kerry???

Thanks for the info...MARQUIS
igor
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

srmorton wrote:
I have been thinking lately that what appeared to be a gift from Heaven
for Kerry (Rassmann showing up "out of the blue") was actually a set up.
I have also read somewhere that Rassmann has admitted voting for Gore
in 2000 (which tells you something right there) and that he is said to have
been anti-Iraq war and anti-Bush. Of course, I have no proof that Kerry
and company orchestrated the whole January 17 appearance, but it fits
in so well with his MO.

I have always believed that when the American people had a chance to
see Bush and Kerry side-by-side in the debates that they would never
pick Kerry as CinC. Until the Swifties first ad, I had begun to worry
a little because of the continued onslaught of anti-Bush propaganda that
is being put out by the MSM, by Hollywood, and the pro-Kerry 527s. I
can not adequately express my gratitude to the SBVTs for once again
putting the welfare of their country above their own. This fight will be
won - by the TRUTH the SBVTs are determined to reveal in the coming weeks.

Semper Fi,

from http://dean4az.blogspot.com/2004/07/veterans-for-kerry-rally-rassmann.html
and also http://ultrageek.dailykos.com/story/2004/7/24/11519/4584

"I have deep respect for what Mr. Rassmann did in response. He allowed the Vets for Bush into the event and let them ask questions. He responded to their questions and explained why he, a Republican, has voted for Carter, Clinton and Gore and will vote for Kerry."
Jette
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kerry's crewmate calls ads 'slap in the face'

BY ROBYNN TYSVER

WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER

www.omaha.com

COUNCIL BLUFFS - The man who was rescued by John Kerry in Vietnam believes President Bush is behind critics now questioning his story about Kerry's valor on the Bap Hap River.

Former Green Beret Jim Rassmann said Friday that he considers it a personal "slap in the face" when people say his dramatic rescue story is false.

"It's pretty dramatic when someone is shooting at you and water is splashing up around you, and when someone comes back 35 years later and says it didn't happen, it's a slap in the face," Rassmann said.

"It's not something you forget."

Rassmann met with about 25 veterans and Democratic supporters in Council Bluffs. He was on a campaign swing through Iowa to denounce a group of veterans that is questioning his and Kerry's account of the 1969 firefight in Vietnam.

Merrill Smith, a spokeswoman for the Bush campaign, said the president's campaign was not backing the group called Swift Boat Veterans for Truth. "Our campaign has never and will never question John Kerry's service in Vietnam," Smith said.

The swift boat veterans group, funded by Republican supporters, has launched advertisements in several swing states questioning Kerry and Rass-mann's account of the night that they came under fire on a Vietnam river.

As commander of a swift boat, Kerry was transporting Rass-mann on the river when a mine detonated. A second explosion tossed Rassmann overboard. Rassmann dived to the bottom of the river to avoid enemy gunfire from the banks.

When he surfaced, the boats were gone. A short time later, he said, Kerry's boat returned. Amid machine-gun fire, Kerry pulled Rassmann aboard.

Rassmann recommended Kerry for a Silver Star. Kerry received a Bronze Star for his actions.

Rassmann said the allegations from Swift Boat Veterans for Truth that there was no gunfire that night are politically motivated. He said some of the veterans in the group are angry at Kerry because of his denunciation of the Vietnam War upon his return home.

"They're not telling the truth, and they're doing it because they don't like John," Rassmann said.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: