SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Guard/Reserve/Air National Guard..

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military
View previous topic :: View next topic  
armymp
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 4:39 am    Post subject: Guard/Reserve/Air National Guard.. Reply with quote

I for one am proud to say that people that serve or served in the National Guard, Reserves or Air National Guard are a very important and vital to the United States. They are veterans and fellow service members.

I am retired US Army active duty 22 years or sevice and also 40% disabled, but I did not have any combat time. Am I a veteran???
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Armymp, as far as I'm concerned, you're a veteran. The term veteran does not strictly apply only to those who served in combat.
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You damn sure are! Welcome aboard! Smile
Guns
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are moreof a Vet than Kerry...sure you are a vet...you served during a war and maybe not in theater but during a war...and you are retired.

MassGuns
Daniel J. Hutchison
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 4:53 am    Post subject: Veterns Reply with quote

Fortunately, our nation is not always at war and not all of our young need to experience the sights and sounds of combat. And even in times of war there are many duties which must be done to defend our country and support the combat troops that do not involve combat duty. The veterans who are called upon to do these tasks have my respect and I honor their service.

National Guard duty has never been a way to dodge military service; it is military service and is the very basic responsibility of every citizen of the United States. While not every one feels the obligation, the militia has always been the backbone and strength of the United States. Under the command of the individual states, the National Guard continues to provide protection for the citizens when called upon by the Governor. When called upon by the President of the United States, the National Guard has stepped up to the call with honor and left their civilian jobs and families to defend the country. When someone joins the National Guard they make a commitment to maintain military skills and capabilities, ready to drop their civilian jobs and families and answer the call of either the Governor or the President. The National Guard is not a way of avoiding military service, as some would have us believe, but is military service that is the responsibility of all citizens.

Distorting National Guard service is a great disservice to the dictated citizen soldiers that have defended the United States for over two hundred years, and who form the very basic defense for the United States.
McCloud
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know the exact number, but a vast majority of the U.S. Army divisions in World War II were Guard divisions.
Grampa
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hoorah fellow MP! Welcome aboard!
jwb7605
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 1:51 am    Post subject: Re: Guard/Reserve/Air National Guard.. Reply with quote

armymp wrote:
I for one am proud to say that people that serve or served in the National Guard, Reserves or Air National Guard are a very important and vital to the United States. They are veterans and fellow service members.

I am retired US Army active duty 22 years or sevice and also 40% disabled, but I did not have any combat time. Am I a veteran???

From some foggy memories from a long time ago, I preferred 40% disabled MP's, unless it happened to be me needing them, which was usually when a Marine mistook my good intentions Wink

After serious thought (I pondered almost half a second), I've decided you are a veteran.
Welcome!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: