SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Swift boat skipper: Kerry critics wrong
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Prisoner
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is my understanding that the Swift vets aren't disputing what occurred that day, just that Kerry's actions did not warrant a Silver Star.

Am I wrong for thinking that?
Bhist
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm very suspicious of this guy. He comes out of nowhere to save Kerry.

What is absolutely funny is his story supports everything in O'Niell's book. It's a military strategic fact that the actions Kerry took in beaching his boat was against protocol. It was a stupid move to beach one's swift boat. It's equivalent to a rifleman standing beside, instead of in, his foxhole to fight a charging enemy.

I'm looking forward to see how Kerry spins this one.

I think we should have O'Neill check the facts to see if Rood was really there. If he wasn't, then we need to have Burkett ("Stolen Valor") determine if Rood was even in Vietnam, let alone the military.
MarcB
Ensign

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Semantics! "young Viet Cong in a loincloth," "a grown man, dressed in the kind of garb the VC usually wore."

VC had no official uniform, unlike the NVA. A "young" Vietnamese could very well have been "full grown." Vietnamese are known for being a slight people, small in physical nature.

I have a Friend who 5'2" and 120 pounds. If I did not know he was in his 40's I would say he was a teenager. My cousin on the other hand was 6'4" and 240 pounds when he was 14. His argument is based on perception. If I see a small man running away and I am used to seeing taller people would I not think of him as a Teenager? I am still trying to figure out a VC Uniform is, is that kind of like a Al-Qa'ida Uniform?

Marc

- Winston Churchill, on Neville Chamberlain
SF
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 5:31 pm    Post subject: availability for comment Reply with quote

I think his not being available for comment, and the direction to put any questions to two other journalists, will squarely put the Tribune in the middle of the news story, making it a participant. Interesting demonstration of MSM's demeanor.
Jeff Carrington
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a farce. The poor chap just wants a Now Hear This chance and then returns permanently to a reclusive life, insulated from any possible veracity tests. A perfect contrast to the SBVT who time and again put themselves on the media firing line, knowing from the get-go that those are the absolute dues of speaking out in a national forum. Some American. He's a throwback.
gilliam
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff Carrington wrote:
What a farce. The poor chap just wants a Now Hear This chance and then returns permanently to a reclusive life, insulated from any possible veracity tests. A perfect contrast to the SBVT who time and again put themselves on the media firing line, knowing from the get-go that those are the absolute dues of speaking out in a national forum. Some American. He's a throwback.

I don't think this is the case at all. I think he is being forced to do this by the Kerry campaign. He probably feels there are points that he thinks need correcting.
Bhist
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's also a [edited] coward.

Note: We don't need to blanketly condemn an entire party. Rememeber, some of them are on our side in this.
Jeff Carrington
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gilliam, I think you will forgive my cynicism at this point. Find me someone who isn't deeply suspicious of the objective truthseeking motives of the other side by now and I'll show you a zombie.
jfnk
Ensign

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This latest is potentially devastating to the Swiftvets. Personally, I find it to be suspicious, but the talking heads in the media won't. Hopefully, O'Neill is anticipated this, and has a response.

By the way, I found the guys e-mail if anyone is interesting in asking the guy a question:

WRood@tribune.com
deadzone1003
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who is this guy?

He was the officier in charge of PCF-23. His name is William Rood Jr..
He can be found in www.swiftboats.net. This is the directory of almost all of the sailors in the Swiftboat command. Amazingly, I couldn't find John Kerry's name next to PCF-94. Well, my guts tell me that this Tim Jones (the actual writer of the story) is embellishing Mr. Rood's interview just as the Boston Globe embellished George Elliot's interview. This story will probably be used for the Sunday talk shows. Hopefully, Mr. Rood will probably sign an affidavit telling a different story. However, this story about Rood will be quite damaging in
the short run. Evil or Very Mad
SharpTalons
Ensign

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why won't the Chicago Tribune write a piece about Steve Gardner?? He seems to be an invisible man.
tvaughan
Seaman

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there anything that contradicts what the Swift Boat vets are saying?

Young kid, older guy. Not a big deal. At least I don't think so. I'm assuming no one checked the guys ID for his age.

None of the Swift Boat vets say that this event didn't happen. They just say there was only a single wounded man that was "routed" by Kerry.

If Root's story is true and the river bank were full of VC on both sides, why on earth does Kerry beach the boat to go after one guy? Why does he do that?

I can understand memories being confused, it was 35 years ago, but beaching the boat to go after one guy when you're being fired upon by all sides (And NOT the direction where you beach your boat), just seems pretty damn silly.

The problem is that the story doesn't have to actually contradict the Swift Vets, the MSM simply has to say that it does. Much like how they say that the New York Times conclusively proves collusion between SBVFT and the GOP.
Talking point #1: Sign 180
Talking point #2: Sign 180
Talking point #3: Sign 180
IamHG
Ensign

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new Ad makes all of this moot in my opinion.

Rehashing of one guys memory versus another after 35 years can only be just so effective. The new ad featuring Kerrys own voice intermingled with POWs accounts of its effects are going to take this debate to a whole new level.

I personally don't care if his medals are legit. He threw them away and then betrayed his comrads. Thats all I need to know.
efuseakay
Ensign

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What will the Swifties come back with? Shocked
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prisoner wrote:
It is my understanding that the Swift vets aren't disputing what occurred that day, just that Kerry's actions did not warrant a Silver Star.

Actually, the Swifts are disputing Kerry's version of what occurred that day. (I think there are three versions from Kerry and his supporters and Kerry himself has waffled on the details.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: