SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kerry on Vietnam in 1992

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military
View previous topic :: View next topic  
magliano
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 9:26 pm    Post subject: Kerry on Vietnam in 1992 Reply with quote

In 1992, Kerry called those who wanted to make Vietnam service an issue "cowardly."

"I'm here personally to express my anger, as a veteran," Kerry told National Public Radio two months before the 1992 election, "that a president who would stand before this nation in his inaugural address and promise to put Vietnam behind us is now breaking yet another promise and trying to use Vietnam and service in order to get himself re-elected."

"That is not an act of leadership, that is an act of shame and cowardice," the Massachusetts Democrat railed.

Kerry also made a speech on the Senate floor in 1992 stating that Vietnam should not be injected into the Presidential campaign and that we should not question who served and how. This is in the Senate record.

The hypocricy of this man is truly breathtaking.

Last edited by magliano on Wed Aug 25, 2004 1:01 am; edited 2 times in total
Fabius Cunctator
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, you have to bear in mind that in 1992, it was HIS boy, slick Willy, who was in the running against a WWII naval aviator, and since Willy ducked out, we had to put Vietnam behind us. Now that HE is in the running, it's a whole new ball game.

Yes, the hypocrisy is truly breathtaking......

"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum; qui victoriam cupit, milites inbuat diligenter; qui secundos optat eventus, dimicet arte, non casu. Nemo provocare, nemo audet offendere quem intellegit superiorem esse, si pugnet." - F. Vegetii Renati Epitoma Rei Militaris, AD 380
Hueygunner
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 10:54 pm    Post subject: Put the Vietnam War behind us. Reply with quote

Why should the rest of the nation duck the most significant event that happened in our lifetimes and put the Vietnam War behind it? Can the Vietnam Veterans who lost part of their bodies put the war behind them? Can the Vietnam Vets who came back to a indifferent, if not a hostile, nation put their war experiences out of their minds? Can a nation that spent billions of dollars, sacrificed tens of thousands of its young men's lives, and called on millions more to defend it from peril just pretend it didn't happen? And what about the failure to pursue a lasting peace after so much investment in the future of South Vietnam? No one speaks of putting the Second World War behind us! The Federal government pursues and prosecutes alleged Nazi war criminals who are now in their 80's, if not older; they refuse to let go of the hurt of that war.
jwb7605
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 1:26 am    Post subject: Re: Kerry on Vietnam in 1992 Reply with quote

magliano wrote:
In 1992, Kerry called those who wanted to make Vietnam service an issue "cowardly."

"I'm here personally to express my anger, as a veteran," Kerry told National Public Radio two months before the 1992 election, "that a president who would stand before this nation in his inaugural address and promise to put Vietnam behind us is now breaking yet another promise and trying to use Vietnam and service in order to get himself re-elected."

"That is not an act of leadership, that is an act of shame and cowardice," the Massachusetts Democrat railed.

Kerry also made a speech on the Senate floor in 1992 stating that Vietnam should not be injected into the Presidential campaign and that we should not question who served and how. This is in the Senate record.

To hypocricy of this man is truly breathtaking.

Did he do that for the next SBVT commercial on purpose?
Prescient! Twisted Evil
Fabius Cunctator
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hueygunner,

I hope you are not misunderstanding me in your post. I am not advocating that we simply forget about all that happened with Vietnam. Far from it. I am in agreement with all you have written. What I meant by all that, was that in Kerry's mind, it was okay to put Vietnam behind us when Clinton was running, seeing that HE had dodged the draft. But, now that "W" is running for a second term, in Kerry's view, it all of a sudden becomes relevant. Remember, this is the centerpiece of his campaign.

All I was looking to do was to point out the hypocrisy.

I know far too many people who served in that conflict - superior officers, many NCO's who served with me, older brothers of my friends and classmates, my own cousins - to ever put it behind me. As a serving officer myself with nearly 30 years behind me, I can never forget. Although I did not go to Vietnam - I entered the service in 1974, I too caught all the crap, especially being based at Quantico and going in to DC, and hearing the baby killer crap and all.

I am on the same page with all of you here.

"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum; qui victoriam cupit, milites inbuat diligenter; qui secundos optat eventus, dimicet arte, non casu. Nemo provocare, nemo audet offendere quem intellegit superiorem esse, si pugnet." - F. Vegetii Renati Epitoma Rei Militaris, AD 380
Hueygunner
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 1:00 pm    Post subject: On The Same Page Reply with quote

Fabius Cunctator wrote:
Hueygunner,

I hope you are not misunderstanding me in your post. I am not advocating that we simply forget about all that happened with Vietnam. Far from it. I am in agreement with all you have written.

All I was looking to do was to point out the hypocrisy.

Although I did not go to Vietnam - I entered the service in 1974, I too caught all the crap, especially being based at Quantico and going in to DC, and hearing the baby killer crap and all.

I am on the same page with all of you here.

None of you Vietnam-Era Veterans have to explain your service. Anyone who has been in the military knows that your ass belonged to Uncle Sam during your service period. With thousands deserting the U.S. by going overseas to avoid the draft, anyone who stepped up to the plate is a hero in my books. Some of us did more than others but no one did it alone.
Wing Wiper
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jwb7605 wrote "Did he do that for the next SBVT commercial on purpose? "

Exactly what I was thinking. You guys picking up on this? That's a statement that will stop Kerry in his tracks if it's thrown back in his face. What a dumbass this guy is. Rolling Eyes
Truegrit
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 4:31 pm    Post subject: Good Point Reply with quote

Good point Magliano. It offends me greatly that Kerry, having smeared his fellow Vets in 1971 is trotting all of his liberal Democratic buddies to smear the SBVT -- and all that they can say, when they are invited to appear on CNN or wherever, is that the SBVT group is "lying". They can't deal with the facts and the truth, and their sole recourse, as a result, is to smear honorable veterans such as Van O'Dell, John O'Neill, among other other leaders who have come forward.
DanVCC
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO the major question is not Kerry's service in Nam but the lies he told over 35 years and still is telling that castigated our military in Nam and embellished his part of the Swift Boat operations. It is this pattern of lying that makes Kerry unfit for command.
Fabius Cunctator
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BINGO!!!!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: