SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Awards Process is NOT broken...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Justathot
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 4:57 pm    Post subject: The Awards Process is NOT broken... Reply with quote

I don't question anyone's awards now and I don't want anyone to stand in judgment, questioning mine. The same "courtesy" should be applied to John Kerry's awards.

Every vet who ever received an award should be upset about anyone suggesting that any award wasn't "earned", especially over 20 years after the fact.

To say otherwise is to put the entire awards process since awarding began in disarray for political gain. Not into that.

Anyone who wants to say that I didn't deserve my awards can quote me on this [edited by moderator]Any vet should feel the same way about ANYONE questioning whether or not they "deserved" their awards.

Moderator note: Please refrain from abusive language.
roughfun
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree 100%. Unless I misunderstand it is that Kerry basically wrote himself up for stuff he didnt deserve. But Im beginning to realize what a slippery slope we have when no vet trusts another accomplishments. Theres enough real phony vets out there. Semper Fi.
FF1047
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 5:50 pm    Post subject: Any veteran that has been awarded medals ... Reply with quote

Knows full well that sometimes (not always) the citation has some embelishments. These embelishments to not change the basic facts involved. To act like all medals are being questioned here is just plain wishful DNC thinking. If I question you about your medals in a respectful way like, "How did you earn that Purple Heart ?", it does not mean that I assume your PH is bogus. Of course when your answer is "Bite Me" (much like Kerry's responses thus far) most people are inclined to think you are not actually proud of having earned them. Of course you didn't throw your preciously earned medals "over the fence", or did you ?
Justathot
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Any veteran that has been awarded medals ... Reply with quote

FF1047 wrote:
If I question you about your medals in a respectful way like, "How did you earn that Purple Heart ?", it does not mean that I assume your PH is bogus.

As I see it, there is no "respectful" way to question someone's award and how they earned it.

IF Kerry had done something that did not fit the awards process, it would/should have been caught back then. It got past the process, so it's his to do with as he pleases, even if he wishes to throw it over a fence later.

Back to [edited]anyone questioning a vet about his/her awards and second guessing that they didn't "earn" them. If/When you get an award and someone mutters that you didn't "earn" it after the fact, I'm fairly sure you won't giggle and move along...and you shouldn't have to do that, either.

Being AWARDED them is enough proof that it went through the process and you EARNED them. Who are outsiders, those not in the awards channel process, to second guess it, and especially over 20 years later?[/b]
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

justathot, I witnessed my First Sargeant and the Squadron Sargeant Major, in An Khe, trip over each other running out of the mess hall when the Air Force base, clear across the compound was being mortared. They both put each other in for and accepted PH's for skinned knees.

I was told I'd get a Purple Heart for jumping off a helicopter, during recovery, and spraining my ankle. I declined.

Your own medals are your business. Kerry, on the other hand, has made his 4 month tour and his medals central to his campaign. They are open for scrutiny as is any other claim by any candidate.

Speaking of medals, he sure wasn't too proud of them back in 1971 when he claimed to have thrown them over the Whitehouse fence, giving them back. Now, when it fills a perceived need, they have reappeared and are important to him. I'd like to think your own medals are treated with more respect than that, mine are.
Justathot
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 6:15 pm    Post subject: Do you advocate EVERY award be reassessed for "merit&qu Reply with quote

Who gets to decide?

Is there a sunset window past which awards can't be "respectfully questioned?

What's your plan?

Does it start with the GWOT and role back as long as a vet draws breath?

What's the plan...or is Kerry the only vet who should undergo this scrutiny?
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone running for a prominent public office is open to scrutiny, especially when he makes claims that he uses as central to his campaign.

The President's records have been picked over with a fine tooth comb, seeking evidence of the AWOL and desertion charges. When not found, idle speculation became the tactic. He has never made his service central to his abilities.

Kerry, on the other hand, has propped himself up by medals he claimed to have thrown away, out of disgust for them, testified to horrendous war crimes committed daily with the full sanction of higher ups, as a matter of policy, claimed that there were 200,000 Vietnamese being MURDERED each year by US Troops and now, all he can say is he is the main war hero and his language back then was "regrettable?"

Kerry brought this all on hisself. As Harry S. Truman said, "if you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen."

Kerry can't have it both ways. He asked in 1971, "how do you ask a man to be the last one to die for a mistake?" Today, I ask, "how do declare yourself the main hero of that same mistake?"
jalexson
PO3

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 3:45 am    Post subject: Re: The Awards Process is NOT broken... Reply with quote

Justathot wrote:
I don't question anyone's awards now and I don't want anyone to stand in judgment, questioning mine. The same "courtesy" should be applied to John Kerry's awards.

Every vet who ever received an award should be upset about anyone suggesting that any award wasn't "earned", especially over 20 years after the fact.

To say otherwise is to put the entire awards process since awarding began in disarray for political gain. Not into that.

Anyone who wants to say that I didn't deserve my awards can quote me on this [edited by moderator]Any vet should feel the same way about ANYONE questioning whether or not they "deserved" their awards.

Moderator note: Please refrain from abusive language.

No process is perfect. The medals process in Vietnam had some flaws. There was a bias toward awarding medals to officers. Minority enlisted men on the other hand often didn't receive medals for their heroic efforts. When men start bragging about medals that appear questionable because of what the commendation indicates happened, it makes the medals received by others for real heroism appear less.

Compare the following from the Bronze Star recommendation for Lerry Thurlow to what Kerry did to see why some of us question the medals process.
Quote:
On 13 March 1969, LTJG THURLOW was serving as Officer-in-Charge of PCF-51, conducting a five boat Sea Lords operation in the Bay Hap River and Dong Cung canal together with ground units. After sweeping the area for five hours, the boats extracted the ground troops and began exiting the river. Shortly after starting their exit, a mine detonated under one of the boats (PCF-3), lifting it two feet above the water and wounding everyone onboard. At the same time, all the boats came under small arms and automatic weapons fire from the river banks. LTJG THURLOW immediately directed PCF-51 to assist PCF-3, where he leaped aboard the stricken boat. Finding the entire crew either wounded or in shock, LTJG THURLOW began administering first aid, as PCF-51 backed off and provided cover fire. While administering first aid to the forward gunner, LTJG THURLOW was knocked overboard when PCF-3 ran aground out of control. Fighting a three to four knot current, LTJG THURLOW managed to stay afloat with PCF-51 rushing to his aid to pull him aboard. Once aboard, although exhausted and out of breath, LTJG THURLOW, after radioing for MEDIVAC and reporting the seriousness of PCF-3's casualties, returned aboard PCF-3 and again administered first aid. After making the wounded comfortable, he then began damage control procedures on the boat. With the aid of one of the crewmembers who had recovered enough to assist, LTJG THURLOW was able to control the flooding until other boats came alongside to assist. LTJG THURLOW remained aboard the stricken boat until the units safely cleared the river and arrived at the support ship. All of these actions by LTJG THURLOW took place under the constant enemy small arms fire which LTJG THURLOW completely ignored in providing immediate assistance to the boat and crew.

Kerry received his silver star for beaching his boat and then chasing and killing a single VC. The bronze star was for pulling James Rassmann the rest of the way onto his boat. Rassmann was hanging on the bow at the time. Kerry couldn't have moved the boat until Rassmann was completely on the boat.
"That awful power, the public opinion of a nation, is created in America by a horde of ignorant, self-complacent simpletons who failed at ditching and shoe making and fetched up in journalism on their way to the poor house."
-- Mark Twain
ALMOUNT
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 4:08 am    Post subject: Re: Any veteran that has been awarded medals ... Reply with quote

Justathot wrote:
[Being AWARDED them is enough proof that it went through the process and you EARNED them.[/b]

BULLS#*T:... This guy, Lt. Kerry, wrote up his own citation, that ain't the way it works...

http://www.DELTARAIDERS.COM

I killed a six pack....just to watch it DIE
DevilDon
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Lew,
Thanks for clarifying things, maybe the next new poster would do well to read some posts before spouting off about people's discussions here. This has been said time and again here. I guess some just don't get it.
Alpha924
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 1:56 pm    Post subject: can't we all just get along? Reply with quote

what kind of liberal BS is that.

If you served and did not submit your own recommendation for a citation for going above and beyond then you probably deserved it. I don’t care how many or what you got.

Most of us River Rats got at least a PH, and we did not write it up ourselves nor could the wound be covered by a band aid.

An honorable person would not have accepted one under those conditions. Not with crewmen loosing body parts, who could honestly consider accepting a PH like that? A COWARD COULD!

kerry is a disgrace and so are all of you that say “well we shouldn’t judge his actions or medals” BS you wimp, kiss my dead mates ass.

MGB
Rocket Alley 4/4/68
Alpha924
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 2:18 pm    Post subject: your awards Reply with quote

well Justathot, if you’re so sensitive about it perhaps someone should question your awards.

All’s fair you can question mine, heck I didn’t ask for them. They were presented because OTHERS, testified to my actions and recommended them.

Just in case you missed that part, I didn’t write my own citations. Guess I wasn’t as big a hero as kerry.

MGB
Grampa
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fact he Kerry has MULTIPLE citations signed BY 3 DIFFERENT Approving authorities for a SS that are all different is enough to make my military BS detector go redline. That he pursued purple heart decorations after his own CO told him to forget it show he was looking to pad his record.

Now we know why he was: He is now using them as a central reason to be elected President and CINC because he is SO heroic. If he obtained his medals by fraud, he needs to be EXPOSED. HE doesnt deserve to be Pres if he lied to get medals.
nakona
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: The Awards Process is NOT broken... Reply with quote

Justathot wrote:

You miss the point. It isn't just that there are questions about whether or not Kerry actually deserves his medals, a legitimate question considering that Kerry has based his campaign on them, but rather; it's about a pattern of behavior that tends to show that Kerry "gamed the system" for his own political benefit.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: