SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Email John McCain
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
producehawk
PO1

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used your e-mail link. Thank you for the link. I urge others to use it. I was polite in my message, but let McCain know that he should not be slandering his fellow vets. The swiftys have a right to there opinion, and the American people have a right to the truth.
tvaughan
Seaman

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polaris wrote:
Everyone,

The more and more I think about McCain, the more I am smelling a rat. I do know that the McCain that came home from Vietnam and was interviewed by US News and World Report in May of 1973 would be behind us 100%.

I am wondering what happened. For years McCain hated Kerry until the early ninties. Inquiring minds want to know....

I would watch those kind of comments. It is perfectly alright for McCain to have whatever opinion he wants. He has earned that right.

I think his reaction was to what he thought was a smear campaign. I do not believe he understood the validity of the charges.

Please do not speak of McCain in any derogatory terms around here. I do not have the time to defend him and stay on topic, too.

John McCain is a genuine hero of mine. I do not always agree with him, but if I would be happy if I could display half the character and courage that man has.

He may not support us, but he is not a rat.

and, oh yeah, I emailed him, too.
Talking point #1: Sign 180
Talking point #2: Sign 180
Talking point #3: Sign 180
Polaris
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tvaughn,

Sorry but no can do. I sincerely respect McCain's service and I supported him in 2000 and was appalled at what was done to him.

That said, I will say it again. I smell a rat. That is not the same thing has calling McCain a rat which is something I will not do, but something smells. The McCain of May 1973 would have been behind us 100%. It is perfectly fair to ask why he is attacking us like he is especially in light of the comments of other highly decorated veterans (such as Sen. Dole).

Truth is Beauty
PENJ
Former Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kmudd wrote:
Penj , what do you think of this article from the Village Voice?

Here is the thread it is in.

http://www.swiftvets.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2735&highlight=village+voice+pow

I'm aware certainly of Sidney Schanberg and I know that he and others disagree with how the POW investigation was cleared up. That said, I've been reading Schanberg for years now and, while I certainly respect him for his work in Cambodia and his writing for the NYT and Newsday, I have always viewed his writing in a similar vein to the writing of Seymour Hersh, a journalist whose reporting I respect but whose conclusions I find often to be alarmist. (It is for this reason that I read Hersh's articles on the recent prison scandal with some skepticism.) Schanberg, for instance, leads with accusations of paper shredding, but buries further in his many articles that what were shredded were copies.

Now I know that Bob Smith worked with Kerry on many aspects of the Vietnam investigation, but departed on the final decision to normalize relations. I respect Smith on this. That said, I do wonder whether the reason we have received little information since normalization is because there is little information to gain.

Now I admit that I begin with a personal bias, that the remains of a person I knew was discovered in Laos in part because of the investigation. I know, however, many other families did not have the good fortune of having their loved one come home to rest. However, here I do trust McCain, that ultimately he did not and would not desert hope if such hope existed. I have followed the career of McCain closely. I am aware of his mistakes, particularly his work on behalf of Charles Keating during the S&L crisis in the 1980s. What McCain did then and what he has done many times since was own up to his mistake and then learn from his mistake. I have watched him at time stand up to both Democrats and Republicans and each time at best I could determine he did so based on the principle in the matter. (I believe, for instance, that all along he has been more clear headed on the Iraq War, whether it was the number of troops needed or how to seek the truth behind the prison scandal in such a way that doesn't merely scapegoat... than either of the two parties' nominees for President.)

So in reading Schanberg and watching McCain over the years, I am prone to trust McCain over Schanberg.
PENJ
Former Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polaris wrote:
tvaughn,

Sorry but no can do. I sincerely respect McCain's service and I supported him in 2000 and was appalled at what was done to him.

McCain does have an ability to forgive and forget. He was very angry in the spring of 2000, but that hasn't affected his ability to support the President. I believe that he is a man that can move beyond personal bitterness. He also can see clearly his own mistakes (including many of the oversights in McCain-Feingold.)

I think he has a marvelous ability to stick to the issues. He understands the difference between an adversary and an enemy. I believe that those are rare qualities in today's political debate.

Last edited by PENJ on Sun Aug 22, 2004 11:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
kmudd
Master Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I honor McCain for his service and it makes it hard for me to doubt him.But I didn't like his campaing finance reform law. It goes against the first amendment . I would doubt McCain would want to leave any Americans POWs in South East Asia. But Kerry had reason too because his cousin could make a fortune if relations to Vietnam were opened.
kmudd

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as the issues ,do you trust Kerry would stay the course in Iraq and pull out when Iraq is ready to govern itself, or would Kerry pull out as soon as possible?
rparrott21

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't Mccain get special treatment after he was captured when the Vetcong
found out his Dad was Pacific fleet commander at the time....and there is
also a memorial where Mccain's plane was shot down....it is also said that
he was against Kerry until they were on the same plane going to the middle
east, can't remember what for and had a change of heard after then...maybe
money talks,,,Kerry maybe said help me bury the pow/mia issue and when
Clinton starts up trade with the North and my cousin gets the big contract,
there will be something it it for you..
Polaris
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

raprrott21,

IIRC, they were on the plan together to meet the Troops just before Desert Storm in 1991.

Truth is Beauty
PENJ
Former Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kmudd wrote:
As far as the issues ,do you trust Kerry would stay the course in Iraq and pull out when Iraq is ready to govern itself, or would Kerry pull out as soon as possible?

I don't think Kerry will pull out as soon as possible. The danger in Iraq is not that there won't be one democratic election, but that there will only be one democratic election. Therefore, I think the only long-term solution is a large multi-national force there, including Arab countries (such as Egypt) that would not want a radical fundamentalist state there.

In every interview I have seen Kerry and his foreign policy people give, he has embraced the kind of realistic foreign policy objectives that people like Brent Scowcroft pursued in a prior administration.

I see the current President as totally investing themselves in the hope that the Allawi government will become popular to win an election outright. If they're right, then the current administration will triumph. If they're wrong...
kmudd

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.newsmax.com/archives/ic/2004/8/20/84438.shtml

Friday, Aug. 20, 2004 8:42 a.m. EDT
Tommy Franks Warned Kerry: Iraq Pullout a Bad Idea

Iraq War commander Gen. Tommy Franks revealed Thursday that John Kerry called him for advice on his plan to pull U.S. troops out of Iraq starting in six months - and that Franks gave him a thumbs-down.

Asked about the Kerry pullout plan, Gen. Franks told WDAY North Dakota radio host Scott Hennen, "That's a bad idea."
tvaughan
Seaman

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rparrott21 wrote:
Didn't Mccain get special treatment after he was captured when the Vetcong
found out his Dad was Pacific fleet commander at the time....and there is
also a memorial where Mccain's plane was shot down....it is also said that
he was against Kerry until they were on the same plane going to the middle
east, can't remember what for and had a change of heard after then...maybe
money talks,,,Kerry maybe said help me bury the pow/mia issue and when
Clinton starts up trade with the North and my cousin gets the big contract,
there will be something it it for you..

The North Vietnamese offered to McCain to go home early because of his father. McCain refused because there were men ahead of him in line that were there longer. He didn't not want to be used as propaganda.
Talking point #1: Sign 180
Talking point #2: Sign 180
Talking point #3: Sign 180
Theresa Alwood
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess what bothers me the most is the McCain only came out with the swiftvets ad...I did not see him make any statements against moveon.org or the Michael Moore propaganda movie...so it does make me wonder if McCain is just mad because he thinks the swiftvets group is tied to the group which made negative campagin ads against him...either way I lost all respect for John McCain. He should have at least given these vets the dignity to speak with them first to hear and see what and why they were doing these ads. These ads are because the swiftvets believe John Kerry is unfit to be the commander-in-chief of our armed forces.
Gary L. Smith, USN, Ret.
Former Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 12:50 am    Post subject: Kerry's Pick for Sec of Defense Reply with quote

I heard McCain is Kerry's pick for Sec of Defense if he makes President!!!!! Anyone else know anything about it?

I have heard and watched McCain over the years & it appears he is some what like Kerry in his quest for political gain. Do a background check on him & I think you will agree.

I do respect his service to our country & the sacrafices he made as a POW. I have never questioned it and never will.
USWORHOCKEY
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 12:56 am    Post subject: John McCain Reply with quote

The Truth always comes out in the end. John McCain is taking the high road for now, if you haven't been watching closely Kerry is doing a good enough job of embarrassing himself. Kerry is showing the signs of frustration and urgency. Come on people, as his record shows he is always late on the draw, this is no different. Let the truth be heard!!!

God Bless America
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: