SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Amazon deleted all "Unfit for Command" reviews
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> "Unfit For Command"
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sevry
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 2:27 am    Post subject: Re: Reviews that Amazon removed Reply with quote

phantom1 wrote:
http://www.geocities.com/ballsfortimrussert/ballsfortim5.html

I mean this as constructive criticism, only. But no one can use that information. You omitted any and all identifying information, the rating given, date, etc. It might have been better for you to simply save the Amazon pages on your HD. Plus, that way, you could see all the GARBAGE they load into each and every page of theirs (you want to see javascript, download a page from amazon.com).
sevry
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 2:34 am    Post subject: Re: Reviews that Amazon removed Reply with quote

phantom1 wrote:
Some of the reviews that Amazon removed early last week can be found here:

http://www.geocities.com/ballsfortimrussert/ballsfortim5.html

Well, I'll just edit this previous message, then. I looked at the reviews yesterday and today. And they're there. There are hundreds of reviews for Unfit for Command.

There seems to be a bug with selecting everything above 'show 5-stars', at least with M$ Internet Explorer. If you use the "ExactRating", then the links to "previous" and "next" messages will show up. If you don't, then it shows "1-7 of 7" and won't let you go to the next group of messages. No links are provides. You can insert this, for example, in the URL - SubmissionDate&customer-reviews.start=200&me - inbetween "me" at the end and the "SubmissionDate" to start at message 200 most recent, which should put you back a few days. The "previous" link will also then show up. But there's something messed up with this on Amazon with IE. I don't think they're removing anything.
phantom1
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 4:31 pm    Post subject: Many reviews were removed Reply with quote

I have been a member of Amazon for several years and familiar with their reviews. Many reviews of the book were in fact removed and were reposted after they received numerous complaints.

Amazon has now altered their policy on posting reviews for this book, which I think is unfair. This is posted on their site above the reviews now:

"Important note from Amazon.com: We've decided to suspend our normal customer review policies and rules for this title. For example, we usually prohibit ad hominem attacks. That policy in particular seems to be incompatible with presidential election year politics. Therefore, short of obscenities, reviews on this book are now a free-for-all. We take no responsibility for the following discussion. Aren't presidential election years great? Have fun!"

As for the info on the other site, I have no idea.
truecons
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 7:14 am    Post subject: B&N, Amazon reviews: why it's important Reply with quote

Some observations on the reviews follow, but first it should be restated why it's important. Obviously partisans on both sides will either strongly agree or disagree with certain reviews, and they will not affect their buying decisions. But many who read the reviews will be undecided about whether they will buy the book, and for them, the reviews could persuade them to buy. With that in mind:

There is a significant difference in the reviews between B&N and Amazon. The average rating on B&N is 4.5, while on Amazon it is 3. This is statistically huge, like the difference between 90% and 60%. The number of reviews should be sufficient to result in much closer results. This indicates intentional skewing. IMHO the most likely reason is that opponents are intentionally focusing on Amazon.

The solution? Be sure to post your own review to Amazon and encourage all your contacts to do the same. The current score makes it look like there are as many opponents as supporters, which to the potential buyer could look like a wash. If we could up that number to 4.5 it would be a strong recommendation. That alone could make a difference of thousands of sales. We will need every book out there possible to maximize our chances of success.

Also, there is an interesting correlation on Amazon between high rating of the book and high rating of the review. Of the last 10 reviews, ALL of the positive reviews were rated helpful by over half of the readers, and ALL of the negative reviews were rated helpful by half or less. (This may change slightly depending on when you view, but I've checked it several times, and it is generally true.) It would appear the consensus of the readers of the reviews is that the higher the rating, the more useful the review. This could be because supporters are using facts and opponents are just spouting personal attacks and liberal illogic. Regardless, it contributes to the credibility of the book.

While we have many ways to distribute the swiftees information, the book remains the fountainhead in terms of research. The more copies are distributed and the longer it remains at #1, the harder it will be for the liberal media to minimize its impact. So please consider contributing a review if you have not already.

Fight On! Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> "Unfit For Command" All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: