SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

National Guard/Reservists of Vietnam Era

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Robert Cooper
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 9:30 pm    Post subject: National Guard/Reservists of Vietnam Era Reply with quote

There have been so many references to our National Guard and Reservists of the Vietnam era as being something less than honorable - like "avoiders" of the draft, etc. I never looked at them in this manner - but, this view was in the context of a period of draft dodgers going to Canada. It was my view that they enlisted to make themselves available - although, some may have joined to "avoid" - but, it is not justifiable to say that all were "avoiders" or the way to avoid.

A large number of our reservists have served in "Desert Storm", Afghanistan conflict, and recently in Iraq.

It just seems to me that John Kerry is cutting to the quick when he refers to our National Guards and reservists as something relatively less than honorable.

Any comments from reservists out there?
concerned_voter
Former Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reservists and National Guard were two entirely separate issues during Vietnam. Many of the reserves we called back into active duty because of the need to have trained military leaders for a large scale force of 30 day wonders.

While there were many people who used the National Guard or educational deferments to avoid the draft, the National Guard wasn't without it duties on the home front.

National Guard troopes were kept plenty busy in California, Washington D.C., Alabama, and countless other places handling war protests and racial riots. Oh and lets not forget the 1968 Democratic Convention.

The current administration is the first one to use the National Guard in such a large number for a deployment overseas. Typically the National Guards role is to protect and defend at home. But we needed the numbers, and there just weren't that many active military personnel.
Taters
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deleted by Admin

Admin Note:

Nice try

This forum was designed to facilitate the discussion of the Swift Boat Veterans For Truth strong conviction that John Kerry is unfit to serve as Commander-In-Chief.

If your defense of John Kerry can only be couched in rhetoric denigrating the fitness of another candidate, then we suggest that you find another venue for that expression.

Thank you,

Admin
manofaiki
Former Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is one of the things I am angriest about.

The draft dodgers went to CANADA. People who joined the Guard served honorably.

Despite repeated charges that he did not show up for duy in Alabama, Bush released all his records and pay stubs and dental records have been found showing he was there. And the media promptly lost interest.

So after 6 months of hearing clamor for Pres. Bush to release all his records, Kerry is STILL getting a free pass on his refusal to sign Form 180.

Our President did TWO YEARS of fulltime service in the guard learing to fly jet fighters. That is ONE YEAR AND 8 MONTHS MORE than the time Kerry spent in Vietnam.

President Bush had a FIVE year commitment and got an honorable discharge. And as I stated, two of those years were full time service. He flew jets for four years and did not fly his fifth year in Alabama.

Kerry has made a habit of denigrating the military record of all his political opponents in comparison to his own 'sterling' combat record.

He watched MoveOn.org and other 527's do his dirty work and did nothing to reign them in for the past 6 months as they have made one ad after another attacking our President. Over 27 million dollars was spent, and no secret was made of the fact that George Soros gave one of these anti-Bush 527's $12.6 million dollars.

Now, an anti-Kerry 527 makes two ads funded by private donations of less than $500.000 and Kerry goes ballistic and claims Bush is using them and funding them and they are 'front group' for the Bush campaign.

Instead of directly taking on the SWift Vets, (and maybe getting challenged to another debate by Mr. O'Neil) Kerry instead pretends that PRESIDENT BUSH is behind this and claims Bush wants to 'compare war records' and so he challenges the President to 'bring it on!'.

This is nothing less than Kerry trying to palm off his fascination with 30 year old history onto the Bush campaign.

manofaiki

You bugged out in Vietnam - so we don't need you commanding us in the War on Terror!

So get lost, John Kerry!!!!!
air_vet
PO2

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

manofaiki wrote:

Yah, and "peanuts" Carter pardoned the DRAFT DODGERS.
stylin19
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not Navy, but Navy's redheaded nephew.

Near as I can figure, Sen. Kerry enlisted in the reserves. Most of his active duty documents refer to him as USNR-R or USNR.
He resigned as enlisted when he was appointed as a Reserve Officer in the United States Navy.
So Kerry was in the reserves...

I'm sure somebody will come along an explain this.

Last edited by stylin19 on Sun Aug 22, 2004 10:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
air_vet
PO2

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stylin19 wrote:
I'm sure somebody will come along an explain this.

In the Air Force (and I suspect the Navy was exactly the same) there were individual officers who were Regular Air Force (AF Academy grads, for example) - but most were Reserve officers on Extended Active Duty (EAD). The advantage of being Regular Air Force meant that when Reductions in Force (RIFs) occurred, the Reserve officers on EAD were the first to go.
Polaris
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

People,

My two cents:

The number of officers the regular army, navy (incl marines), and air-force are allowed to have is strictly controlled by congress. However, this limited number is vastly short of what our military needs. What happens then? Most officers that enter active duty are actually what are called reserve officers. These are officers in the reserves (and thus not subject to the same congressional ceiling) but are otherwise active duty officers. The main difference is that reserve officers are the first to go in a Reduction in Force. Eventually an officer that does well can be transferred to a regular commission...and IIRC all acadamy grads are given regular commissions on graduation.

Then there are that active and inactive reserves. The active reserves are the drilling reserve and national guard units. The inactive reserves are those people with a service commitment but otherwise have a civilian life. The folks at military records in Denver could break this down more, but that is my take.

When Kerry met the VC and NV reps, it is my understanding that he was in the inactive reserve. However, he still had a commission and thus was still subject to his oath of officer at thet time.

Truth is Beauty
rparrott21
Master Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The big different between the Dem. 527's and the Rep. 527's, Dems. are lies
and the Rep. are true..
air_vet
PO2

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polaris wrote:
When Kerry met the VC and NV reps, it is my understanding that he was in the inactive reserve. However, he still had a commission and thus was still subject to his oath of officer at that time.

Yup, he even had a Red (Reserve) ID card. He was asked to turn it in when he was discharged from the Reserve 16 Feb 76.
concerned_voter
Former Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

air_vet wrote:
manofaiki wrote:

Yah, and "peanuts" Carter pardoned the DRAFT DODGERS.

Only partially true. Carter pardoned the Draft Dodgers that went to Canada, Australia, and Mexico; however, the first pardon came from Gerald Ford. He offered conditional amnesty to not only draft dodgers but servemen who went AWOL before completing their full service.
producehawk
PO1

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The point of kerry once again dishonoring people who served should be brought up when ever his talking heads bring up the fact that reserve duty is like dodging.
ArmyWife
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plenty of Nat'l Guard soldiers died in Vietnam. It is an honorable way to serve.
Hueygunner
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 4:17 am    Post subject: Join the Navy Reply with quote

When I was 18, I heard if you joined the Navy, you might avoid Vietnam. I thought about it. I thought about Canada. I also thought about my father's generation who marched off to meet Hitler's and Tojo's armies. They were young men when they left home and risked everything for this great country. I finally figured I had to do what the previous generation of Americans had done - even if it resulted in my death.

Yeah, I was scared to die. I was young and I had my whole life ahead of me. But I went down and joined the Army on the delayed-enlistment program so I could prepare for military life by getting my affairs in order.

I didn't join the Navy because I couldn't swim and I didn't fancy myself as shark bait. Besides, the oceans are so big and scary just by themselves, let alone fighting battles on them.

During the early part of my tour in Chu Lai, RVN, what do I see? A SeaBee, out in the middle of the jungle, with just an M-16 rifle strapped to a Rome caterpillar. So much for what I heard about the Navy keeping you out of Vietnam!
baldeagl
PO3

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hueygunner, you just gave me the best laugh I've had in a while.

I joined the Navy because all I ever dreamt about when I was a boy was going in the Navy and seeing the world. I spent six years in the Navy and never set foot on a ship. Just goes to show you, you never know where you'll end up when you join the service. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: