SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

John Kerry’s Two Vietnams

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gilliam
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 1:17 pm    Post subject: John Kerry’s Two Vietnams Reply with quote

John Kerry’s Two Vietnams
National Review Online

Quote:
I must admit to being of two conflicting minds when it comes to the anti-Kerry activities of the Swift Boat Veterans for Truth. On the one hand, there is nothing that makes my blood boil more than a fraudulent Vietnam veteran. In their remarkable book Stolen Valor, "Jug" Burkett and Glenna Whitley unmask some 1,500 Vietnam "wannabes," not only the media's favorite dysfunctional vets who, with the often all-too-eager cooperation of the press, attribute their problems with drugs, alcohol, crime, and poverty to their time in Vietnam, but also fixtures at local patriotic affairs who show up to give rousing speeches while wearing ribbons — and in some cases even uniforms — they didn't earn.

The Swifties are not arguing that Kerry has embellished his record but that he has done so in a particularly cynical and calculated way. After all, soldiers have embellished their war records since the beginning of time. Anyone who has spent more than an hour in the military has heard a "war story" (or the Navy-Marine Corps variant, the "sea story"). The attitude of most vets to these sorts of tales is an old joke: What's the difference between a fairy tale and a war/sea story? The former begins, "once upon a time;" the latter begins "now this is no s**t!"

What seems to offend the Swifties, as well as other Vietnam veterans, is that after having made his political debut as an anti-Vietnam War activist, Kerry is now playing the hero...

As a correspondent pointed out to me in an e-mail, each episode of the HBO series Band of Brothers, begins with a voiceover in which the narrator says of the World War II soldiers portrayed in the program: "I was not a hero, but I was surrounded by heroes." In contrast, what John Kerry is saying in essence about his "band of brothers" is that "in Vietnam, I was a hero, but I was surrounded by war criminals."

(Excerpt) Read more at http://www.nationalreview.com/owens/owens200408230833.asp
Son Of The Godfather
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OUCH!
Quote:
As a correspondent pointed out to me in an e-mail, each episode of the HBO series Band of Brothers, begins with a voiceover in which the narrator says of the World War II soldiers portrayed in the program: "I was not a hero, but I was surrounded by heroes." In contrast, what John Kerry is saying in essence about his "band of brothers" is that "in Vietnam, I was a hero, but I was surrounded by war criminals."

That's GOTTA hurt!

SOTG
Wing Wiper
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those kinds of articles hurt, especially that last statement. They're coming faster and faster now, the media is smelling blood in the water. Very Happy
Dimsdale
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah, there were "two Vietnams" allright: one for American heros, and one for Vietcong sympathizers. Kerry is of the opinion that he can straddle both sides of the river, if you will pardon the slight pun!

If he wants a real debate, he an O'Neill should defend each of their books. "Unfit for Command" vs "The New Soldier" (if that is the correc title).

The let the chips fall where they may.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: