SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Root of the problem.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military
View previous topic :: View next topic  
roughfun
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 4:04 pm    Post subject: Root of the problem. Reply with quote

I'm begining to think the original sin here is that the Navy gave out medals to freely. If a grunt got a silver star he was pratically a god and everyone knew without knowing they were looking at a very brave man. Strange so many medals were given out and no ones even talked about being in heavy combat or body counts. If swift Vets have the goods on this guy then go for the throat because once the Dems work out a response the real truth wont matter. I probly ruffled a few feathers but I wanted to get that off my chest. I was a Navy brat (my dad 26 yrs on Subs) and I'm an Hon crewmember of the USS Hue City so dont interpret my comments as a slam on the Navy or any Vet.
SwanLady
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a three-medal (purple heart) rule during Nam. It applied across the board, in fact (all branches). The difference was that Kerry was in a situation where, as CO of his swift boat, he could write his own and request someone who HAD NOT OBSERVED HIM to sign it (hence the frequent "not observed" on his records). Most of the men who were on swift boats, or otherwise in the Navy, did like so many Army, Marine and Airmen did: they didn't count a splinter in their ass as cause for a purple heart. They felt the wounds had to be significant. And most, especially those on land, couldn't just "go see a medic" like Kerry did.
Hueygunner
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 2:59 am    Post subject: Purple Hearts Reply with quote

I always thought the Purple Heart was awarded for wounds suffered during a battle, i.e. a bullet wound and grenade or mortar shrapnel wound. Two wounded guys that I knew were tore up pretty bad.

One day, I was coming off guard duty. I didn't see any Vietnamese civilians at the gate like I normally did. I figured it out quickly. I ran from hootch to hootch, yelling at the top of my lungs for the guys to wake up, get dressed, and put on their steel pots. I heard the mortar rounds bracketing the compound. I kept going. Finally, one round hit closer and made a loud sound. I remembered the saying, "Look out for number one." I ducked into the nearest bunker. I felt terrible in there; at the enemy's mercy. One guy said, "What took you so long; you woke me up!"

For me, I thought I had done something heroic but stupid. No one else thought much more about it.

Later, I used pliers to pull a piece of shrapnel from a two-by-four that for some unknown reason was in the middle of the PSP flight line. A mortar round had hit one of the steel plates but didn't damage a helicopter because of the sand bags around them. I thought about how much damage the piece of shrapnel would have done to a human.
ALMOUNT
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 2 cents worth, PH awarded for wounds in combat.

My 2nd was from our own 155's while waiting for a vil to be pounded.
My 3rd was probably from our own gun ships trying to keep us from getting overran.
Friendly fire, yes, but during combat....

If kerry had dropped a frag in his shorts and blown his LBJ off... well that might be really questionable..??

How come we just now hear he has schrapnel in him...???

Hell, they used a pick & shovel and dug all mine out...???

http://www.DELTARAIDERS.COM

I killed a six pack....just to watch it DIE
Hueygunner
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 1:18 pm    Post subject: Wounded During Battle Reply with quote

ALMOUNT wrote:
My 2 cents worth, PH awarded for wounds in combat.

How come we just now hear he has schrapnel in him...???

Hell, they used a pick & shovel and dug all mine out...???

My older brother has a bullet still in him: His ex-father-in-law shot him. Kerry could still have schrapnel in him.

My bone to pick with John Kerry doesn't concern his military service but rather what he did afterwards. My attitude about Kerry is you stabbed me in the back and you have the gall to ask me to vote for you!
ALMOUNT
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Wounded During Battle Reply with quote

Hueygunner wrote:
My attitude about Kerry is you stabbed me in the back and you have the gall to ask me to vote for you!

I agree with you 100% gunner, I just didn't remember hearing the "schrapnel still in him thing" before.

http://www.DELTARAIDERS.COM

I killed a six pack....just to watch it DIE
Wing Wiper
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You would think if it was rice it would have sprouted by now, eh? Wink
Vet & Proud
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hueygunner, you go, I couldn's agree more.

For him to run on a record and service that he clearly distained, is pure BULL. "HE betrayed all of his Vietnam brothers and disgraced the uniform." I was in Nam and his actions, after he left, insulted and pissed everyone of us off. SEARED into my mind is: “He is assuredly one of the main reasons for people spitting on us, calling us baby killers, throwing garbage at us and causing us to hide our awards and decorations, our pride, our families pride.” Now he wants to parade his out in front like he is some great soldier (and did nothing different than thousands of others), when in fact he has shown nothing but TOTAL disrespect for us. He wants what "HE denied" us, who served with pride and honor. He threw his medals away and as far as I’m concerned he threw any support from the men who served with honor. He never has and never will be a representative of the American soldier
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: