SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Did Rassmann ever say himself that....
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Resources & Research
View previous topic :: View next topic  
efuseakay
Ensign

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 4:03 am    Post subject: Did Rassmann ever say himself that.... Reply with quote

... he was on another boat other than Kerry's?

I have this from JK.com:

http://www.johnkerry.com/pressroom/releases/pr_2004_0117d.html

That should be official enough, but if Rassmann himself was actually quoted anywhere that he was on another boat other than Kerry's, that would pretty much sink his credibility... I seem to recall that he himself actually said in some interview, or was quoted in a book that he was on another boat... I can't track it down... Sad
ASPB
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try the Oregon "Statesman" from January or February. I've lost the link because my main machine is in the shop.
baldeagl
PO3

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to my blog and read thiis post that I've linked here. I have recorded every news article that I am aware of where Rassmann tells the story of 13 Mar 69. You will find, that Rassmann has placed himself in the following locations:

1) On PCF 94
2) On "a third vessel, the PCF 35" (that boat wasn't even there that day)
3) "one of the other boats" (not 3 or 94)
4) on a boat "next to Kerry's boat" (that would be the 3)
5) Kerry's boat was "a short distance ahead" of his boat
6) "behind Kerry's vessel"

Interestingly, Thurlow places Rassmann in Kerry's boat, the 94. I trust Thurlow's memory. I suspect Rassmann fell off when Kerry hit the throttle to hightail it out of there.

Rassmann has also recounted the following about how many mines exploded:
1) one
2) two
3) three

And the weapons that were being used by the enemy that was firing on them
1) "small arms"
2) "AK-47s and rocket launchers"
3) "snipers"
4) "artillery"

The VC were firing from
1) "both banks"
2) "the jungle"

The boats were
1) "on the run, being chased down the river"
2) "things were calmer"

Frankly, I don't think Rassmann can remember much. His one recollection that stays consistent is that he was in the water, under water much of the time.
efuseakay
Ensign

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks ASPB and baldy... Smile

I really feel kind of sorry for this Rassmann fellow... I am sure he means well, but Kerry has gotten to him to the point where he will do anything Kerry says... it's a shame really...

But Kerry on the other hand... Cool
Redview
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 1:13 pm    Post subject: blown off Reply with quote

The boats would have had to take some damage from gunfire, I just
dont see how they could n't have no matter where it was coming from
unless they are horribly bad shots.

We need those damage reports.
Beelzebub
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, maybe the Swifts were being fired at by the A-Team? Mr. Green
Priscilla J. Triolo
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that the swiftvets are telling the truth and I also believe they have every right to chastise Kerry for his denigration of the vets after his return.

I also think that Rassman can not have an accurate memory of the events. He was in water peppered with mines designed to blow up and his sight lines were severly limited. He must have been almost scared to death. Under those circumstances, I can appreciate he only remembers who pulled him out of the water and nothing else. Unfortunately he is being fed data from the DNC who wouldn't know TRUTH if God delivered it personally.
Ragnar
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What seems to be undisputed is that several swift boats were retrieving personnel from the river after Boat 3 was heavily damaged by a mine.

Kerry and Rassmann are saying that they were taking hostile fire while Rassmann (and others) were in the river. The Swift Vets organization says that there was no hostile fire.

The picture I have in my mind is several boats busily retrieving personnel from a small river. They would be close to shore and hardly moving. Essentially, they would be sitting ducks.

Does it make sense in this scenario that none of the boats reported damage that day consistent with small arms and machine gun fire? Does it make sense that no injuries were sustained consistent with small arms and machine gun fire?

Of the two stories, the Swift Boat Vets' version seems much more plausible.

Obviously, Kerry has a motive for lying about the incidents of that day. But what about Rassmann? As others have alluded, Rassmann was probably disoriented. After all, he must have hit the water pretty hard and was struggling to just stay afloat. It would be understandable for him to feel as if his life were endangered. In this situation, it seems reasonable that he simply mistook friendly cover fire for hostile fire.
DavidFarrar
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 7:55 pm    Post subject: The damage reports Reply with quote

I haven't seen the damage report Kerry's people released, but it mentioned three 30-caliber bullet holes...on, I think, 53, but I could be wrong, I'm not sure. Any explanations?

a blogger in support of the Swift Boat vets.
ex animo
davidfarrar
Dafydd
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 8:03 pm    Post subject: My original contribution Reply with quote

I don't think anyone has suggested this -- possibly because it's stupid Razz -- but is it possible that in addition to hearing the guns on the various other Swift Boats raking the shore (just in case), Rassmann could have seen a bunch of brass hitting the water and mistaken that for bullets peppering the water around him?

I don't know how those sorts of machine-guns operate, but if they eject brass at a high rate (from fairly high off the water, since the gunners are up high), and if someone is already terrified and disoriented, a shower of brass might look like a rain of bullets.

Or am I all wet?
Wing Wiper
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're probably not "all wet". This was a small canal, they were firing into the banks on both sides, probably some short rounds hitting in the water (from M-60's and the twin 50's), brass rolling of the decks, dirt and mud flying, but you would nedd Rassmann to admit that this is possible, and Kerry's camp is going to keep him on a short leash. I also saw the possibility that Rassmann might be telling the "truth", from his own observations, on some of this. His story will be hard to correct, considering what he's said and his debt to Kerry for saving his life. It would be interesting to see what some other SF guys that served with him might have to say about the guy and his combat experience. If that was his first firefight, he wouldn't actually remember much, in my opinion.
H walter
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rassman has many times stated he tried to stay under the water as much as possible so he would not be hit by the boats. It is also mentioned many times that the swiftboats sprayed bullets on the banks. That would account for him hearing gun fire.
zinfella
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Priscilla J. Triolo wrote:
Unfortunately he is being fed data from the DNC who wouldn't know TRUTH if God delivered it personally.
"

God is visiting the DNC? Must be slumming.
Herb
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wing Wiper wrote:
You're probably not "all wet". This was a small canal, they were firing into the banks on both sides, probably some short rounds hitting in the water (from M-60's and the twin 50's), brass rolling of the decks, dirt and mud flying, but you would nedd Rassmann to admit that this is possible, and Kerry's camp is going to keep him on a short leash. I also saw the possibility that Rassmann might be telling the "truth", from his own observations, on some of this. His story will be hard to correct, considering what he's said and his debt to Kerry for saving his life. It would be interesting to see what some other SF guys that served with him might have to say about the guy and his combat experience. If that was his first firefight, he wouldn't actually remember much, in my opinion.

Brass sounds reasonable -- ask one of the Swifties cause I can't say.

But I can say that a .50 in the gun tub (14 feet above the water line) is NOT likely to be depressed to the water when firing CROSS the water -- ok, they might have raked the bank and Rassman did go to (near?) one bank for a while.

Maybe the boats were squirreling around trying to get Thurlow on the 3-boat and rounds headed cross might get sent DOWN STREAM?
TXBear
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From all I have read on Rassman, I have yet to find a reason for him to be aboard any of the boats. I have seen it speculated that he was AWOL and along for a joy ride. Has anyone found anything to account for his presence?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Resources & Research All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: