SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Could combat vets help me understand my dad?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ProudDaughterofVet
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 2:58 am    Post subject: Could combat vets help me understand my dad? Reply with quote

Dear Vets,
I have a question which I hope you can help me with..My father served in both WWII and Korea..however, he does not talk about it. He says that what he went through, he did with his buddies..not me, not my mom, his buddies..and although at times the nightmares come..it is a private matter.
I respect that. But now, with Kerry's treason like mouth..his anger and emotions are all stirred up..Help me help him to realize that if he does not wish to discuss his battles..that is fine, but that Kerry's lies no way take away what he and his buddies went through..

What Kerry does not understand and of course the media also, is that what Kerry said when he returned put a stain on vets everywhere..What my dad always taught me is that we are and were "brothers"..and although he did not serve in Vietnam..his words cut through his heart because his "brothers" did..

My father is a proud man, who I love and honor..not just his service, but his life..a good decent man...but this is stirring up some awful things for him, pain of real heroes he saw die on the field..real purple hearts being given..real men. So you see, Kerry is reminding the Greatest Generation of what they lived through, fought through..and most died for..and I am trying to help my 80 year old dad to understand that we will not allow him to get away with his treason..

I called an old.."buddy" of my father's tonight..he is stopping over to see him tomorrow..so that should help him see clearly again..So, although Kerry had no intention to hurt my father..he has, he did..and shame be on him for all the pain he has caused...

I thank all you men and women who have served..and kept this great country free..and I thank you for allowing me to explain, how this fool's mouth..Kerry's mouth..has hurt a true hero..my father..

Thanks for letting me vent..I just needed to let it out to friends who would understand..and if the admin wants to delete this I do understand..it is rather personal...

May God Bless you all,
ProudDaughter Very Happy
GenrXr
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your father is very stoic and a real warrior and most likely in his old age feeling alone and needing a "buddy". I think once his friend visits him he will be aok. Don't try to understand him just love him and realize his stoic nature is the best for your family.

I must say I am not a vet, but I come from a family filled with warriors and know very well the nature of our own families dealings in this regard.
Marine4life
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take him to Washington DC and let him see the memorial that is in place for the Veterans that Kerry destroyed. And most importantly let him see the memorial that is in place for him, the WWII Memorial. There will be Veterans there from all wars for him to talk with. Do it on Sept. 12th, that is when the Veterans are having a rally there for all to see. He doesn't have to talk about what he saw or did, but at 80 years old he needs to know that we respect him for it and so do all Americans. Semper Fi.
jwb7605
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marine4life wrote:
Take him to Washington DC and let him see the memorial that is in place for the Veterans that Kerry destroyed. And most importantly let him see the memorial that is in place for him, the WWII Memorial. There will be Veterans there from all wars for him to talk with. Do it on Sept. 12th, that is when the Veterans are having a rally there for all to see. He doesn't have to talk about what he saw or did, but at 80 years old he needs to know that we respect him for it and so do all Americans. Semper Fi.

I've never been to the wall ... not sure I want to verify a couple of names I'm pretty sure are there.

That Vietnam veterans did not demand the WWII memorial loudly as "the Wall" was going up has bothered me from the start.

Most of the "old guys" (old age is always ten years more than me Wink ) that are veterans I currently associate with are from the Korean War.

Am I wrong in agreeing that that "forgotten war" applies to that one, as well?
Detective
Seaman

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

real quick cuz I gotta run off to work....yes that four letter word so despised by me on of all days, MONDAY! anywho.....Listen to the wise words of GenrXr. He knows. He has lived it as I. My dad was is a WWII vet (USN navy corpsman assigned to the Pacific in places like Tarawa,enewetok,kawajelen s/p,funa futi,Soloman islands,Marshall Islands,etc etc.he was under at times both Gen.Chesty Puller and Admiral Nimitz ---he loved both.)

I took care of both of them at home for five years after my mom had a stroke and he couldnt lift her and he started getting altzheimers....

I saw my dad wake up from nightmares his whole life.Shouting, They're BURNING,Burning!!! put em out goddamnit!!!!and a whole host of other stuff. he saw the Japanese jumping off cliff with kids because the jap leadership told them that Marines would eat their babies.(he was assigned to the marines from the get go as a tough pittsburgh coal miner and was attached to the famed Marine Raiders units.)But inside my dad was a softie.tough on the inside but as narly as possible on the inside. I have maybe five stories of his service logged..he served a total of three years of in combat with no R&R,no leaves..just breaks from the action on board hospital ships where he served as the ships doc.Myfamily is short and stocky....we are all built like tanks and wresters the shortest is 5'5 and the tallest of all the boys is 5'8. but it was his size that hurt him the most. It was he who after losing 40 pounds was the one who had to crawl down the hatches to help wounded torpedoed victims in other ships where the regular hatches had been steamed heat jammed.. One night he had to spend the night in a engine room where all the men had died in place as a steam engine was hit. These men died in natural positions as quick as a snap of a finger. He thought they were all alive at first! except for one thing, they were all wayyyyy to white,even the back men.They had been steam killed.it took the others a day to get him out.As he says, he grabbed one guys arm and told him to rally up and it fell off, "cooked like chicken.He would not eat chicken.Another weird one...no rice (maggots, as he said) or Milk(of which I dont know) no bread with anything in it as apparently the bread the men ate was full of bugs that when ate would go crunch.
anyways, like GenrXr says, just gotta love him.
ProudDaughterofVet
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My dear new friends..
Thank you so much for the support and concern you have shown this daughter and her father. I talked with his war "buddy" today, and sure enough, spirits were lifted. Seems a shared nightmare was talked about and rehashed between the two, and resolution once again resolved. That is as far as I need to know..those wars, so private..as it should be with that Generation.

I am going with he and my mother..and my dear husband to the WWII memorial on Sept 12..as suggested. I called my mom, told her about this site and the kindness here..she said, " Let's go! My treat!"..So we are going..and there, he can see, that no matter what this idiot Kerry says, it does not matter..because as long as I am alive, he is..and his grandchildren..and their children too.

He and his buddies are turning their combined anger into action..he is remembering what it means to be a Marine, and I can see his face coming back to light..and his depression over what Kerry has done..into determination to make sure that W is re-elected...

So, I will keep you all updated..but in the meantime, my God bless each and every one of you..

Keep the faith my dear vets, and my dear new friends!

Very Very Proud Daughter...
GenrXr

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
am going with he and my mother..and my dear husband to the WWII memorial on Sept 12..as suggested.

If he doesn't have a veterans cap, get ahold of your local VFW (Veterans of Foreign Wars) and ask the charter president how you can get one fast. If he cannot do anything call the VFW from where your father grew up and try there. Hmpf if that doesn't work let me know in next day or 2 and I will ask my family who to contact. I just don't want your father to be around a bunch of vets and not have a cap when in his older age he may not want to feel left out amongst fellow vets he doesn't know but are all wearing caps. When they get older those things matter to them. (they will insist they do not of course hehe) Just a small token to be recognized amongst their fellow vets.

Great decision to bring him to the WWII memorial. Although I have not seen it in person I did watch a special on it on C-Span and it is beautiful.
GenrXr

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
etc etc.he was under at times both Gen.Chesty Puller and Admiral Nimitz ---he loved both.)

Hi Detective,

It is the consensus of all of our family that served in World War II that Admiral Nimitz is the greatest military tactician and leader our country has ever had. Interesting how he is so rarely mentioned by anyone but the people who served.

Personally, I must admit I have read very little on Nimitz and know only the personal stories of him as related by family that served. I have always made it a priority to read up on Nimitz but damn soo much to read and soo little time. I will get to it though. As a matter of fact I am going to go get a 1 day book on him and start there. Thanks for reminding me.

I must add I have family that were part of the death march in the phillipines so their is some harsh feelings towards MacArthur concerning this. Please do not flame me with MacArthur would have stayed blah blah. The fact is had MacArthur stayed the US would have directed all available forces to secure and protect the Phillipines and a lot of Americans would have lived. More then would have died I would say and the outcome of the war would not have changed.

One suggestion Detective, Do not discuss private family issues regarding warfare and the suffering under it in the forums. I know your intentions are good, but these boards are not a sounding board for the horror of war, but rather the reflection of how we can make America better knowing the horrors of war. Damn that sounds soo PC hehe flame me if you wish Smile I just don't want to piss off any Vets with a well deserved gripe. You know what I mean?
ProudDaughterofVet
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Genxr..great idea..I will ask my mom if he has the cap! She knows ...and I bet my dad does too. I will take your advice and check up with the Vets of Foreign Wars as well..could be lots of them will be going and it could be a great reunion. Great tips..for the lot of us!

Well..a new dawn here at my home..and a renewed hope that this "family" we have created here will see it all through together..

Going to sleep with a peace tonight..that in the end, this fool will be trounced on Nov. 2..Hey! Guess what, my dad got his gander up and was cussing out Chris Matthews! Laughing , at least he is good for something, huh? Wink

ProudDaughter..
kate
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ProudDaughter
I am one also. Something else you can do-
The WWII memorial has an on-line virtual site where you can honor your Dad...its really neat. Also has some great pics of the memorial.
http://www.wwiimemorial.com
Go to Registry -- to add a Vet
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Kerry's lies no way take away what he and his buddies went through..

This is very difficult for those who didn't serve to understand, but what Kerry did, did take away from him and his buddies by disparaging their service and sacrifices.

War veterans form a bond that is undescribable. Ones like Kerry not only break that bond, they slandered it and spit on it. Maybe the closest I could descibe the feeling would be to hear your Dad say he no longer wanted you in his life, then 30 years later, brag what a great Dad he has always been.

Your Dad has every right to be angry, just like the rest of us do. However, that much anger in an 80 year old man can be detrimental. I'm happy to see others suggesting ways to channel that anger into something constructive. It will help him vent his anger and make him feel useful again in accomplishing a necessary mission.

You're a great daughter. Very Happy
Acmputr
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe this will help you understand.

The bond built between veterans is forged under the greatest of pressure, like coal being pressed into diamond.

Then something happens and a buddy is lost, a buddy that will forever be 19. The sense of loss is overwelming, the lost life, the lost future, the life that has been torn from a young man that is part of you. There is also guilt, guilt that it was not you.

This is bearable because you believe, you need to believe, that is was for a purpose. Then some guy comes along and says the lost were criminals and the price they paid was for nothing. They are throwing dirt on that friend and his sacrifice. The sense of rage is enormous.

Remind your father that it was necessary, that their price paid buys our freedom today. And, thank him for his service. Because of him and his generation we have the life we have today.

M
USMC
RVN 70-71
ProudDaughterofVet
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Acmputr, Lew, and kate:
Thanks so much. You have helped me so much to get a better handle on this. My father is a spry guy, plays tennis every day..more fit than most of my friends..but, since Kerry's crap, now his latest.."..I was not talking about the Swifties, I was talking about all the other veterens"...UGhhhhh...

He is doing much better..and channeling what he "feels" into action..you bet, it has helped. He went to the "hall" tonight to meet the guys.and he had a ball, they laughed, planned W parties for the convention coming up..he is getting that Marine fight back again. I thank you for that. I do..all of you and of course, this cause and our wonderful SwiftVets for standing up for my father, when he could not!

Strange..I am a graduate of a great college, History and Poli Sci degree, work in the same field..I studied the bond of vets..and I "know" it..but when my dad is concerned, I got stuck, ..and now as I see more clearly..especially realizing that forever his friends will be 19! Eyes opened a whole lot more.

Wow! What a blessing you all are..glad to be part of this "family"!!!

ProudDaughter..and friend..
Razz
PO2
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 6:23 pm    Post subject: The wall. Reply with quote

Dear daughter:

Do not be supprised if your father has dificulty approaching the wall. I had to try three seperate times. Maybe I feared seeing my name there, I don't know, but it was realy rough.

If your dad has trouble going, be patient and loving. Bringing back painfull memories is not a nice thing. It may take him awhile. That's OK. Offer to come back any time HE thinks he is ready.

It seems that his biggest anger is what was done to us, and not what was done to him. I, at least, appreciate his love for us. Let him know that after 30 some years we are now speaking out. Give him this web address so he can join and talk to us.

It is a loving and caring thing you are doing. I salute you. Take care of your old dad, for some time he will be joining those brothers and sisters whos names are written on the wall. Joining with them on Fiddler's Green.
ProudDaughterofVet
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear PO2,
What wonderful words..and true as well, thank you. I talked with dad tonight, he is touched beyond words of the kindness, but not surprised. He told me to tell you that this should be about his brothers and sisters, not himself..so, you see, you are right..his anger is addressed for those of his vet friends who are being disparaged by Kerry and his clan.

He was and is in much better spirits..knowing that we all are shouting for him, and all his "buddies".

Oh..and yes, he was wearing his cap tonight, seems mom had it, and he is now proudly wearing it, along with his "Support W and the troops" tee shirt I ordered for him for Fathers day.. Very Happy

If any of you have parents of that generation..help them to see, if they are quiet as mine was..that what Kerry is in my opinion an act of treason..

Take care my friends, and keep those suggestions coming..My dad is not a big internet guy, said that he leaves it to the young ones, but is proud that you are all out there, and getting your voices heard..and so am I..

ProudDaughter
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: